What would you do?

I think I can justify one last purchase before the new mortgage. And I'm conflicted. I'd like to get a home defense shotgun, but I wonder how much actual use I'd get out of it. Aside from skeet/trap, what else can I do wth a shotgun. Also I really want a bolt action scoped rifle - savage/remington 700 type... I've got about $500 to spend.. Any thoughts?

I'm a big believer in having the right tool for the job, especially when no other tool will do it. If I can get a tool fairly easily that might someday make the difference between life/death or severe discomfort, then I will buy that tool, even if I stick it on a shelf and maybe even never use it. Within reason- I don't have things to shoe horses or plow fields or stuff I really think I will never have the opportunity to do.

So if I was you I would get the home defense shotgun, but definitely look for one that can have a wide range of uses if at all possible. But if it is not possible then I would do it if I was you. In fact that is on my list too.

I would get the shotgun... the bolt action is going to require good glass, and that glass is going to blow your budget.

ETA: On the other hand, if you're not sure if what you want, you could be buying ammo or better yet, reloading
gear, for your existing guns.

-Mike

I'd go with the shotgun as well. You can get a used Mossberg or Rem 870 in great shape in the $300 range. Even with buying some 00 Buck and some slugs you will still have money left over.

As indicated already, you may be able to get a used Rem or Savage for your $500, but decent optics will put you back another several hundred dollars or more. Hell I paid over $600 just for my Leapold that I put on my FN Special Police rifle.

Shotguns are cheap fun. I bought a mossberg, put a folding stock, heat sheild, and shell holder on it. It may be useless as tits on a bull, but it is alot of fun for under $300 bucks. [smile]

Shotguns are cheap fun. I bought a mossberg, put a folding stock, heat sheild, and shell holder on it. It may be useless as tits on a bull, but it is alot of fun for under $300 bucks. [smile]

Agreed. I just got a text message from my wife saying a package from Midway arrived today, so I'll be getting my tacticool grove on this evening with my new 500 [smile].

Back
Top Bottom