What would you do?

I can't even imagine one of my kids having a handgun in her room unless I had given it to her. Then I'd understand perfedtly.

If it wasn't my gun and I didn't know where it had come from, I'd be on the phone in a heartbeat.

I'm editing to add a potential scenario. Believe me, I had a similar situation happen with my 15 year old.

Another kid steals the gun and/or uses it in some crime and gives it to your kid to keep. Cops track the other kid down and cops and tells them gun is being hidden in your house. Do you know how many AR-15's you're going to be looking down the barrel of?

Last edited:
Sign the little Darlings

Sign the little Darlings up for some formal firearms training?

dearMom.jpg

I'd find the nearest buy-back kiosk, and turn that evil handgun into a $50 Target gift card. Too bad they dont sell ammo.

I'd wake up from the dream in a cold sweat.

Seriously, I hope that my son is brought up similar to how I was where such a thing just would never occur to him.

And trust me, there is nothing any 'official' could do that would exceed the punishment I would dish out.

If anything, he might turn himself in in hopes of a lighter sentence.

In my house growing up, there were some rules that you just never even considered breaking.

I can honestly say I have no idea what I would do after I took the gun.

My children are 20 and 23. Son has told me he can get a gun any time he wants one from sources outside the house. Both of my children know firearms and how to use them. I just hope the illegal variety is never what they consider a necessity.

Depends on where he got it from. If it was one from my own collection I'd change all the locks and combinations. If it was stolen, I'd drive him to the police station and make him turn the firearm in himself. Then we'd go to the range for a firearms safety refresher course followed up by at least 4 different 4-8 hour sessions of volunteer (aka slave labor) time cleaning the ranges and doing general upkeep. Not to mention the lack of social life for an undetermined amount of time...

Tough question. When I was growing up my Mom sat me and my sister down when we were close to becoming teenagers and told us that if she ever caught us with drugs, using drugs etc', she'd call the cops herself. My Mom was one of few words and when she said something she ment it. We knew she would do it to and that stuck with both of us. It also had a lot to do with our upbringing.

When my wife and I have kids, I will try to do the same type of upbringing for them. I'll be teaching them about firearms at an early age and I'll have the same conversation about drugs with them that my Mom had with me. If I find them with a handgun, whether it's mine or not, I will first ask them why. If the answer is not to my liking, I will involve law enforcement. The consequences of not doing so could be life altering for the rest of my family and countless other families as well. Not sure I could live with myself if one of my kids got another handgun and did something with it after I knew about the first one.

Back
Top Bottom