What oil do you use for your guns? Is 3 in 1 any good?

I recently started using Fluid Film around the shop and house and am finding it does an excellent job on pretty much everything I used it for (hinges, rollers, tools etc). I just used it on a couple of guns and so far it’s doing very well.

Its best use is as a personal lubricant during Beat Your D!ck December.
Ah, I forgot froglube was a recommendation on a side conversation about anti-rust prevention. Despite its name, you're correct it is a shitty lubricant, it is however one of the best rust preventions available for firearms according to several studies.

I did not know that. Doesn't seem to hurt it though...
The trick is to not 'over-apply' lubricants... any lubricants.
Some where out there is some info on that , springfield dropped the no lube test after a while and claimed it was ro expensive to continue, IIRC I think it was over 100,000 rnds.
Remington did something similar with the nylon 66

Hello folks :)

I just came back from my local liberal walmart looking for gun oil, they didn't have any but they did have 3 in 1. With a quick google search it seems to be a renouned metal lubricant, rust protectant and fairly good at many things like preserving metal from rust and corrosion.

Has anyone here used it on guns long term with good results?

I have applied it to the top portion of the reciever of my 10/22. It removed a lot of the black soot and cleaned nicely. It seems to be a decent lubricant, not too greasy.

I know it's been around for well over 100 years and a lot of old timers swear by the stuff.

What's your gun oil of choice. Should I get Rem Oil or is the 3 in 1 good enough?

wd-40-lubricants-grease-funnels-100353-64_1000.jpg
My name is mike Richter I'm a hunter shooter outdoorsman ,I have used 3 in one for years it works even when temps dropdown to 20 below zero f its pretty good rust preventive too but you must realize you have to keep after you're guns maintenance go thru my.gun safe every 3 months and clean bores actions ECT ,ECT its a must unless you're guns are all stainless steel and even then they need care a good.coat of automotive wax is good for long term storage too!

Hello folks :)

I just came back from my local liberal walmart looking for gun oil, they didn't have any but they did have 3 in 1. With a quick google search it seems to be a renouned metal lubricant, rust protectant and fairly good at many things like preserving metal from rust and corrosion.

Has anyone here used it on guns long term with good results?

I have applied it to the top portion of the reciever of my 10/22. It removed a lot of the black soot and cleaned nicely. It seems to be a decent lubricant, not too greasy.

I know it's been around for well over 100 years and a lot of old timers swear by the stuff.

What's your gun oil of choice. Should I get Rem Oil or is the 3 in 1 good enough?

wd-40-lubricants-grease-funnels-100353-64_1000.jpg
I still have 3n1 contsiners from my dads stash
My moms sewing machine looks new after 50 plus years and thats all she uses.
Its a decent all around kinda do all oil

I have an old bottle of Pedros synthetic bike chain lube for bikes and hinges etc.

But for guns, I really like Ultima 2 universal from Wilson Combat.
Slick and sticky. Great on 1911s. I used to use clp, but i have recovered from that.

I have an old bottle of Pedros synthetic bike chain lube for bikes and hinges etc.

But for guns, I really like Ultima 2 universal from Wilson Combat.
Slick and sticky. Great on 1911s. I used to use clp, but i have recovered from that.
For the most part most lubes are some form of mineral oil , maybe somecadditives to keep it a bit tacky.
When ever you want to know just do a MSDS search of your favorite juice.
The important thing is something is almost always better than nothing

I clean with Ballistol, then use a small amount Slip 2000 EWL for anything that needs additional lubrication beyond the film that the ballistpl leaved behind after being wiped off.

This. Ill even take it a step further..

Good ole' ATF fluid. Does everything you're looking for (better corrosion and rust prevention than motor oil, for cheaper) and you get a whole quart of it for 1/4 the cost of the other targeted market BS. Imagine that. Ill even get stupid with some food grade lubriplate grease every now and then on the slide rails.
i USE TRANNY FLUID ALSO USED TO RUN IT FOR 2 STROKE OIL because I came across a good deal on a 55 gallon drum. When I pulled the head a year later just to have a look it was the cleanest cylinder walls and head I ever saw, looked like brand new with no plug fouling issues ever.

i USE TRANNY FLUID ALSO USED TO RUN IT FOR 2 STROKE OIL because I came across a good deal on a 55 gallon drum. When I pulled the head a year later just to have a look it was the cleanest cylinder walls and head I ever saw, looked like brand new with no plug fouling issues ever.
I’m just curious how you even found this thread. Like what specific words did you search for or did you really look through 50 pages?

Except your fingers before a pee...?
Many years ago when my wife and I were in our 20s and very frisky we were chopping up some jalapeno peppers that we had grown. As soon as we were done we wound up starting the horizontal tango . Needless to say we did not get much more that two minutes into the foreplay. Young and stupid. never made that mistake again.

Many years ago when my wife and I were in our 20s and very frisky we were chopping up some jalapeno peppers that we had grown. As soon as we were done we wound up starting the horizontal tango . Needless to say we did not get much more that two minutes into the foreplay. Young and stupid. never made that mistake again.
Hahaha.
"Warming sensation"

Been there, done that. Stupid enough to make the mistake again.

Used to use Breakfree CLP and Ballistol on large metal surfaces, TW25b grease on pistol rails but now have almost completely switched to CorrosionX.

Breakfree CLP and MPro7 for the win. You guys do way too much cleaning. Other than a carry pistol, I’m lucky if I clean my rifles every other range trip, probably more like every 3 or 4. A little gun oil on the contact points and they all still go bang every time…

I pretty much get by with 30 weight ewl (heavier stuff) and rem oil in a can. Stuff that maybe gets grease I use ewl (ie pistol slide, BCG cam), stuff that wants a protective coat or light oil I use the rem (ie trigger parts, a swipe inside the barrel post cleaning). Got everything under the sun but those 2 is all I need.

I‘ve used Mpro7 and weapon shield, prefer the weapon shield. Seems to stay on longer and it’s not as runny. Also love the licorice smell. I also have Breakfree clp but the aerosol is kinda messy to use as a lube, and it’s not very effective as a cleaner.

Back
Top Bottom