• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What oil do you use for your guns? Is 3 in 1 any good?

Rem-oil treats me well. Sometimes i’ll use the residual motor oil left inside the container after doing an oil change too. If it can handle a car engine it can handle a gun.

No, the bolt and any metal on metal parts.

I didn't read the whole thread so I must have missed it was about bore cleaning.
Lol. It's all good. Lucas X-Heavy Grease on some bolt/op-rod/receiver parts; Ed's Red lightly wiped on metal exteriors (then rubbed in) and an almost dry patch with a little on it through the bore.
Been working great for me for over a decade...

Here's a good writeup... Greasing the M1 Garand

A number of years ago I attended an Armorer's class at S&W there were a few guys from the FBI and NYC CSI that would test crime guns at the NYC crime lab. They always talked about the guns they tested smelled like fryed chicken grease.

A number of years ago I attended an Armorer's class at S&W there were a few guys from the FBI and NYC CSI that would test crime guns at the NYC crime lab. They always talked about the guns they tested smelled like fryed chicken grease.

Does their evidence room smell like Popeye's or KFC?

I use Break-Free CLP on all metal parts of guns. It is a widely respected medium oil, seems to lube and protect well and (it claims) also cleans as a bonus. Reasonably priced and easy to obtain.

On critical surfaces of pistols (slide rails, contact points on barrel, etc.), I use Wilson Ultima-Lube grease. Nothing magic about that brand, I just figured Wilson would know how to lube a pistol.

I used to use thin oil (Rem Oil) on on everything, but I learned two lessons the hard way:
1. Thin oil dries quickly when you practice shooting and your pistol gets hot. Insufficient lube on a pistol slide rail will cause malfunctions.
2. When you concealed carry, your pistol stays warm in your holster. Most oil will slowly drain out over days/weeks.
Grease stays put, but you can only use it where the fit is loose.

Learn from my pain: Be suspicious of any lube with an odor.
"Smell" means your nose is detecting particles of the substance in the air. Particles in the air means at least some of the lube is drying.

I once used a bottle of no-name "gun lube & protect" (which I stupidly got from a store discount bin) on some rifles, then stowed them in the safe. The lube had a strong petroleum smell, but I thought nothing of it.
A year later, I discovered all of those guns had this nasty hard "tar" wherever I had lubed (which was on all metal). I spent many, many hours working in a thin oil (Rem Oil, used it like a solvent) to get that crap off.
Years later, I STILL find that &%@!%$! "lube" hardened in nooks and crannies when I clean those guns. [crying]

I use Break-Free CLP on all metal parts of guns. It is a widely respected medium oil, seems to lube and protect well and (it claims) also cleans as a bonus. Reasonably priced and easy to obtain.

On critical surfaces of pistols (slide rails, contact points on barrel, etc.), I use Wilson Ultima-Lube grease. Nothing magic about that brand, I just figured Wilson would know how to lube a pistol.

I used to use thin oil (Rem Oil) on on everything, but I learned two lessons the hard way:
1. Thin oil dries quickly when you practice shooting and your pistol gets hot. Insufficient lube on a pistol slide rail will cause malfunctions.
2. When you concealed carry, your pistol stays warm in your holster. Most oil will slowly drain out over days/weeks.
Grease stays put, but you can only use it where the fit is loose.

Learn from my pain: Be suspicious of any lube with an odor.
"Smell" means your nose is detecting particles of the substance in the air. Particles in the air means at least some of the lube is drying.

I once used a bottle of no-name "gun lube & protect" (which I stupidly got from a store discount bin) on some rifles, then stowed them in the safe. The lube had a strong petroleum smell, but I thought nothing of it.
A year later, I discovered all of those guns had this nasty hard "tar" wherever I had lubed (which was on all metal). I spent many, many hours working in a thin oil (Rem Oil, used it like a solvent) to get that crap off.
Years later, I STILL find that &%@!%$! "lube" hardened in nooks and crannies when I clean those guns. [crying]
There are some “oils” that are meant for storage, i have some stuff that smells like cosmoline, i put it on metal thsts going to sit for a long while. It gets to a hard waxy state over time

Lol. It's all good. Lucas X-Heavy Grease on some bolt/op-rod/receiver parts; Ed's Red lightly wiped on metal exteriors (then rubbed in) and an almost dry patch with a little on it through the bore.
Been working great for me for over a decade...

Here's a good writeup... Greasing the M1 Garand
You know JCG designed the M1 to function with out “lube”

Maybe you're confusing froglube with fireclean.

Its best use is as a personal lubricant during Beat Your D!ck December.

148 posts on gun lubricants and no one, I think, has mentioned Ed’s Red. I it passé?
See post 97...
Ed's Red......

1/3 each Kerosene, Automatic Transmission Fluid and Mineral Spirits.........typical recipe calls for including Acetone......I hate that shit.....its a neuro toxin......oddly enough its a primary ingredient in nail polish remover....which may explain....nevermind.....

You can make a lifetime supply of the shit for $5

Keep something on hand for copper fouling but otherwise this shit is the bomb.....dont store in plastic....

Discussion below

Back
Top Bottom