• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What oil do you use for your guns? Is 3 in 1 any good?

I've found hoppes #9 to be the best cleaning product for my hunting irons.

I do use break free clp on all my milsurps.

I don't don't his for any specific reason I'm sure clp or hoppes 9 are interchangeable and just fine for either milsurps or hunting guns.......I just got so used to clp in the army that's what I use on milsurp rifles and I always used hoppes 9 as a kid to clean the shotguns after hunting cuz that's what my grandfather swore by. Guess you could say traditions don't die easy.

Last edited:
I use BreakFree CLP in the aerosol format for cleaning. Hoppes #9 in the bore of my guns and BreakFree CLP oil for lubrication along with TW25B grease on slide rails, AR bolts, AR carrier rails etc...

The chemical engineer in me now has a hankering for some of alasnackbars CherryBalm goodness ch !!

Zddp is awesome stuff and I was looking at how to find some last night. I've given up on off the shelf anti rust stuff for frames and looking at rolling my own brew.

Clp has taken my only position for normal day cleaning. And lube by presence, but I want to find a true lube for long term use and some collection pieces.

He speaks the speak and talks the walk. I'll give his stuff try.

Looks like most of the Froglube guys here have quietly moved on from it. LOL.

It's a great rust preventative compared to many other products, non toxic, cleans decently, and a great lube with a grease like consistency.... until it gets cold and turns to a wax (natural state of coconut oil)... which is how many months of the year in this climate? Also expensive for what one gets per container. As M1911 states below, it was originally a roller coaster lubricant, then it started to be used as an industrial lubricant in food processing plants. Froglube TM added in some non-ionic surficants for cleaning purposes and a scent prior to marking up the price 500% as a firearm product.

MPro7 is an excellent cleaner and their lube is good too, but isn't the greatest rust preventative. Breakfree is a good all around CLP which works well into 20F, but there are products which individually do better than it as a consequence of being a 'jack of all trades' product.

Old school petrol oils, greases, and solvents do work better in general. But they are varying degrees of toxic and require 3 different products. Cherrybalm looks interesting and I wonder if they mask the odor of VOCs or if they've found a way to eliminate toxic off-gassing from a petrol based product.

Last edited:
Guns are not a particularly difficult environment for lubes. They don’t move that often, that fast, or that hot. The most difficult issue is if you are carrying in cold temperatures (but chances are that most of us don’t spend an extended amount of time outside when the temperature is below zero).

So I doubt you will see much difference between lubricants. I use whatever synthetic motor oil is lying around my tool bench, because I have it and it is orders of magnitude cheaper than any 3 oz bottle of “gun” oil.

Most of the self-proclaimed super duper “gun” lubricants are simply industrial lubricants that a marketing company buys by the 55gal drum, repackages into 3 oz packages, and then increases the cost by 100x. FrogLube, for example, is very similar to a grease made for roller coasters. The “origin” story on their web site appears to be bushwa.

Last edited:
Ive reached the point where any lube i use comes from the first closest dip stick
Or from the power steering or brake resiviours.

Brake res? Ya wanna eat off any anodizing?

Can't go wrong with ATF. Cleans just as good as CLF and slicks around for longer .

What ever happened to Wally-Lube. It used to be sold at gun shows by Wally himself. I haven't seen it in years and it was the absolute best oil I have ever used.

I got a sample of the cherrybalmz stuff; its the small things that catch me. The little nail polish brush it has is fantastic. Better than a syringe, better than a dropper, and better than using a finger to spread it out. I have not used it enough to say weather its good, bad or indifferent in the lube department. So far it has stayed where it put it on the ar-15. Will try some on a handgun slide soon. I have been using tw25 grease without any complaints, i think the cherry stuff is less money, so we will see how it plays out.

Last edited:
Im able to get 1000+ rounds through my suppressed MK18 without cleaning it with cherry balmz, i was using motor oil mix but the gun would drain when stored and the gas was blowing the lube off the bolt etc, not a problem with the cherry balmz. The gun wasnt failing or anything before, i just notice it seems like like the grease better.

I use MPro 7 for cleaning, Eezox synthetic oil for corrosion protection and on anything that rotates, TW25B synthetic grease on anything that slides, and Breakfree CO collector’s oil on investment grade collectibles. There are certainly other products out there that do the job, but these have worked well for me. Environmental test chamber results for Eezox are pretty impressive.

I scrub with Hoppes #9, spray rinse, then scrub and spray rinse again with WD-40 and after soak overnight in WD40. I lube with mobil 1 synthetic and XF-7, weapons grade lubricant for slide rails.

Last edited:
Ballistol, if it's good enough for the Wehrmacht, it's good enough for you.
Also Break Free CLP and Lucas Extreme Duty.

For grease, Slip 2000 and Tetra.

The nearest and first lubricant I grab, frequently the bottle sitting next to my mill that gets used for cutting.

Just don’t grab this bottle.
loctite-30769_88442_DV_WebXL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom