• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What oil do you use for your guns? Is 3 in 1 any good?

Frog Lube looked good for anti-corrosion based on testing, but everyone I trust swears against it. I have been recommended the Slip2000 line and so far, so good.

Prolix Xtra-T lube. With the regular cleaner used in a ultrasonic you can supposedly filter it through cheese cloth after your done and put it back in the bottle. Need to finally get my ultrasonic.

You guys should really check the MSDS info on some of these products.
3in1 is heavy hydrotreated napthatic oil Its ok for most light work.
rem oil is way over priced and its just oil.
i use brewkfree clp as it actually has a synthetic rust inhibitor in the mix
i also like lucas products

3-in1 is for sewing machines and fishing reels.
I like RemOil and Breakfree CLP...
No 3-in-1 is not okay for sewing machines actually it can really destroy them. People who don’t know what they are doing may be using it but technically it should never be used on an older sewing machine and it definitely should never be used on a newer semi-electronic or fully electronic version. Fishing reels I cannot say about but as someone who actually truly is an avid sewer and has learned to rebuild sewing machines on my own...via trial and error don’t use it on a sewing machine EVER!

No 3-in-1 is not okay for sewing machines actually it can really destroy them. People who don’t know what they are doing may be using it but technically it should never be used on an older sewing machine and it definitely should never be used on a newer semi-electronic or fully electronic version. Fishing reels I cannot say about but as someone who actually truly is an avid sewer and has learned to rebuild sewing machines on my own...via trial and error don’t use it on a sewing machine EVER!
Adobe_20210103_145054.jpg
Don't tell me how to live my life

You could’ve saved so many sewing machines if you were around to tell him that a couple of years ago.

I use ballistol, rem oil, and breakfree clp for general cleaning/wiping down/lube at the range or class situations. I use Mpro7,tw25b grease or lubriplate grease as lubricants otherwise. I have also used the breakthrough clean, lucas, and amsoil products and they all seem to work well. Froglube sucks, 3 in 1 oil is for kitchen cabinet hinges or your moms sewing machine. Hoppes #9 is my go to bore solvent.

I'm still using Hoppes Elite exclusively for about 20 years now. Mostly due to its performance in deep cold and when covered in snow. We've had some winters here in S NH where I've shot in -20F weather and Hoppes doesn't gum up and clings to surfaces enough that even if your gun is dragged through snow thr action won't freeze up on pistols or rifles.

If you live in warmer/drier climates other than an actual desert where sand and constant gun maintenance is the primary issue, basically anything will work.

For cleaning I'm typically just using alcohol for plastics and acetone for metals. Metals get a rub with a lightly oiled rag after to prevent rust.

I use ballistol, rem oil, and breakfree clp for general cleaning/wiping down/lube at the range or class situations. I use Mpro7,tw25b grease or lubriplate grease as lubricants otherwise. I have also used the breakthrough clean, lucas, and amsoil products and they all seem to work well. Froglube sucks, 3 in 1 oil is for kitchen cabinet hinges or your moms sewing machine. Hoppes #9 is my go to bore solvent.
Don't use that on your moms sewing machine. Some new data has recently revealed that it will ruin it. See 5 posts above yours

Stay far away from that except to coat the exterior or clean a barrel. It turns to glue at colder temps and caused more issues with firearms returned for service than any other lube. They pushed at the Academy for a while when it first came on the market. then problems started surfacing.

Slip2000 EWL is what I use and the EWL30 in hotter weather. I still keep a small applicators' bottle of synthetic 20-50 motor oil left over after a oil change on the bike.

Why?

after some consideration and deep thought on this, 2 years of deep thought, i started dunking my pistols in bacon drippings. works great but i found myself craving blt sandwiches quite often.

after some consideration and deep thought on this, 2 years of deep thought, i started dunking my pistols in bacon drippings. works great but i found myself craving blt sandwiches quite often.
Then you can know which guns need to be shot in order of rancidness

Back
Top Bottom