• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your preferred oil?

When storing firearms what oil do you suggest wiping down your piece?. I have been using Hoppes gun oil, but recently someone recommended CRC 6-56. They said Hoppes can get sticky with time. The CRC evaporates leaving a fine coat?

The best thing I have ever used is called "Barricade". I recently started using this on my guns as a protectant. I am extremely satisfied. I bought a 3 pack that had gun scrubber, bore scrubber and this Barricade in it for 20 bucks. The gun scrubber is great but goes really quick, the bore scrubber is ok, but the Barricade as I said "rocks". I'd just buy the super size can of it for 12 bucks and use what ever you normally use to clean.

It's sort of a Pepsi / Coke question and you'll probably get a dozen different opinions. I know some guys that are happy using left over motor oil and others that won't use anything but Militec. In my opinion as long as you keep up on your preventative maintenance the brand of oil is of minimal importance. Oil on the gun is better than oil in the bottle and all that.

FWIW, I clean with Hoppe's #9 solvent and then lube / protect with Breakfree LP. Personally I think the active ingredient in most of the "advanced" lubes is hype.

When storing firearms what oil do you suggest wiping down your piece?. I have been using Hoppes gun oil, but recently someone recommended CRC 6-56. They said Hoppes can get sticky with time. The CRC evaporates leaving a fine coat?
By storing, do you mean until next week or next year (yes I know next week is next year[grin])?

Just about any gun oil will work, for a final wipe down after cleaning, if you are planning to shoot in the near future (other than thin penetrating oils).

If you are storing the firearm for an extended period, then you want to clean the firearm like you were going to shoot it next week and then use one of the spray-ons that "get waxy". It will do a better job at longer term storage than the typical gun oils or dual purpose cleaner/oil. (Shooter's Choice Rust Preventative and the like)

Respectfully,
jkelly

I like Slide Glide from Brian Enos for the rails of my 1911s and wiping down the outside of the gun. I get it in the small tubs rather than the tubes Dillon sells - it's much cheaper this way. It tends to say on the rails and makes it very hard for the gun to run dry in an extended shooting session.

We know that Popeye. [laugh]
I only use and sell Kano Kroil. It's a cleaner, lubricant, break free (this includes fouling in barrels), it will seep UPHILL. http://www.kanolabs.com/

I have a can of Kroil which I use mostly to clean badly fouled barrels or loosen frozen parts. If I have just cleaned a barrel with it, I run a last wet patch thru the bore and put the gun away.

LSA in the winter, Breakfree C.L.P. in the warmer months. The LSA I have goes back to the early '70s. Still works great.

Everybody has a different opinion, so I went out and collected all kinds of brands. Now I have about a dozen different gun oils. I'm not buying any more gun oil for years.

what kinds of oil will you guys use if you've used a bunch of old mil surp corrosive ammunition? Or maybe I should phrase it this way: do you use any solvents or anything else before you run rags of oil through your firearms if you've used corrive kinds of ammo?

(please don't crucify me with the "don't use corrosive ammo" deal... I love my bulgarian 7.62x54r)

Normally its standard Break Free when I get done cleaning, however if its a gun I'm not going to touch for a while its Break Free Collector. http://www.break-free.com/products/products_collectorliquid.asp?catalog=law

collector.jpg

what kinds of oil will you guys use if you've used a bunch of old mil surp corrosive ammunition? Or maybe I should phrase it this way: do you use any solvents or anything else before you run rags of oil through your firearms if you've used corrive kinds of ammo?

(please don't crucify me with the "don't use corrosive ammo" deal... I love my bulgarian 7.62x54r)

Water based cleaner first like M-Pro 7 or scalding hot water because it dries instantly after brushing. Followed up by cleaning with Break Free CLP and you won't have any problems.

Lots of people are going to say window cleaner, amonia based cleaner, etc. but I've used this method for many years and have zero corrosion after shooting thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo. Its clean, no harsh chemicals in M-Pro 7, and easy to use as long as you follow up with a preservative based product like Break Free or Kroil because using both M-pro 7 or water will strip away oil protection in your guns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom