What is your main SHTF (Apocolypse) gun/plan?

88c.jpg

arachnids_2dfaacb6.jpg

If any of you guys are over 200lbs, you need to drop that weight asap before even thinking of SHTF prep.

I can’t agree with this. It’s not a matter of weight so much as mental and physical conditioning. I spent several yrs in a Ranger Battalion and I was considered on the average to skinny side (at the time I was 6’ and bounced between 165-170lbs).

I know many guys that’re over 200lbs who are absolute PT animals and could run circles around people, they just have zero quit in them mentally.

Have to agree w/ Cams, there are plenty of guys 200+lbs who are healthier and can out PT the under 200 crowd; weight (or lack thereof) does not guarantee fitness, spirit, brains or preparation.

15 miles? Good lord. I think my entire city is only like 8 miles. The thing is once shit hits the fans, and it's nut up or shut up season. People find unfound power and determination. Right now I can't be convinced to walk to the corner store unless I have to. Tell me I have 20 minutes to get to a boat located on the other end of my city or I die in a undead nightmare? Yeah, I'm running with 70 pounds on my back.

The thing is, as Americans, we are inherently lazy. We barely walk to the mailbox anymore. I used to track people who walked everywhere, THEY could cover 20ish miles in a night. I've seen 'in shape' guys gass out in about 5 miles with a tracking loadout (no longarm, lots of water, no armor). You can indeed train yourself up to walk longer distances and not be in 'great shape'. You will, however, have to ditch the 70lb ruck. To cover 8 miles, you barely need water, no food, no spare ammo.

At first, gunfire might scatter a group, but later on, it'll attract attention.

This is all for entertainment purposes only but putting that aside I'm thinking of the first 90 to 120 days after the grid goes down completely. TPTB will bunker up and the golden horde will be starving. If you have a defensible location you will need a lot more than one old infantryman long past his sell by date to keep them from your door.

There is no-one around me who is not a sheep so I've put some thought into force multipliers. None of them require 120V AC.

Aw man, guess I'll cancel that Amazon order.....:D. Besides, I'd take an old dog over a COD fanboi any day.

The thing is, as Americans, we are inherently lazy. We barely walk to the mailbox anymore. I used to track people who walked everywhere, THEY could cover 20ish miles in a night. I've seen 'in shape' guys gass out in .

Who's this "we" you're referring to? The way I see it, the more lazy unprepared asses there are out there, the easier I'll have it.

Heres the catch......it's not "elaborate". He just described army "infantry 101" at about the level what a staff sergeant (junior nco) would need.

I giggle sometimes when I read blogs and articles by "preppers" that think a few ar 15s, a few bug out bags, and a "pact" between their call of duty drinking buddies are gonna survive the apocolypse together. They'll be ok....until the pros show up.

By the way.....I'm no pro. I was an 11b for 6 years then finished my 25 years in logistics...... so have the basic of the basics of infantry tactics down...bit I'm old now. My knowledge would probably help me survive about 24 hours longer than the call of duty beer drinking buddies. Lol

I’m right there with ya brother. Old, broke dick and half deaf. I’ll certainly go down fighting if it ever comes to it, but I have no visions of grandeur that I’ll survive past the first week.

Custom 10/22 Ruger that was my first build. Complete tackdriver to 100 yards with its Volquartsen barrel.

Why only 22? I'm have everything I need to 'bug in' and will protect the castle Mossad style via shooting approaching bad guys in the nads. I figure after the first two or three, the rest will move on to easier pickings. That and for the entertainment factor.
I put a 24" heavy barrel on mine. Its silenced by the barrel length.

Who's this "we" you're referring to? The way I see it, the more lazy unprepared asses there are out there, the easier I'll have it.

Have you been to a Walmart lately? That's the 'we, as Americans', because that's 80-90% of the population. When Uncle Sugar stops pooping, that mob will be coming for you if you are not extremely careful.

edit: I'd almost rather be in southern Guatemala if a true SHTF situation happens. Those people still know how to live off almost nothing.

I’m right there with ya brother. Old, broke dick and half deaf. I’ll certainly go down fighting if it ever comes to it, but I have no visions of grandeur that I’ll survive past the first week.

An old, broke dick, half deaf Ranger is head and shoulders above just about anyone else out there.

Have you been to a Walmart lately? That's the 'we, as Americans', because that's 80-90% of the population. When Uncle Sugar stops pooping, that mob will be coming for you if you are not extremely careful.

edit: I'd almost rather be in southern Guatemala if a true SHTF situation happens. Those people still know how to live off almost nothing.

Last time I went to walmart I felt like I needed a shower after, had to be one of the most depressing places I have ever been. That mob will have to find me first and I'm out of the way enough that I'm not overly worried about it, they'll be taking each other out long before I have to worry about them.

907DFCC6-191C-40E9-A9C2-DE3A975395D3.jpeg

“MREEEEEEEEE’ssss. Mussst have.”

So, to the OP, these threads are always fun, and hopefully you’ve found it educational as well. Every day is a good day to learn something and a waste if you don’t.

Consider going green, it’s only 20.00 or something, helps maintain the site for all of us to gleen all this good information from and continue to learn from disciplines that we may not have ventured into yet, it’s well worth the cost of admission.

U.S. Rifle, CAL .30, M1

Why the M1?
~ I know this platform inside and out...
~ I trust this platform inside and out...
~ I have supplies and maintenance support for this platform...
~ I can shoot this rifle very well...
~ .30-06 stops men...

maxresdefault.jpg

The M1 is no antique. It is lethal and dependable.

I thought you were gonna say cause they go PING when you need more ammo.

My AR would be the first thing I’d grab but frankly I expect if it’s bad enough that I have to start shooting people my shelf life is pretty short at that point.

If any of you guys are over 200lbs, you need to drop that weight asap before even thinking of SHTF prep.

Whatever you say there little fella. When I got out of the Corps I was 225 and spent my days humping for miles, carrying 60-70 lbs and sleeping on the ground. It's called the Infantry.
SHTF survival is a mindset. Either you have it or you don't, and you don't learn it playing Call of Duty and paintball.
But it's cool. If the shit ever really hits the fan, I will eventually have to resupply.

I’ll certainly go down fighting if it ever comes to it, but I have no visions of grandeur that I’ll survive past the first week.

That's about where I am.

But...I will make the first armed group that shows up at my soft target severely regret picking my house.

All hypothetically speaking of course. :)

Back
Top Bottom