• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What is your main SHTF (Apocolypse) gun/plan?

Top of the morning folks :)

My main question is, If you had to have one gun out of your arsenal to be the gun you carry into war. Weather it be an apocalypse or civil war. Mass pandemic with survivalist qualities weather you are anticipating an invasion, a massive war or a zombie uprising. Which gun would you carry as the ultimate doomsday gun you own?

Second layer to the question is, in general what is your current doomsday plan if one arrises?

DOOMSDAY GUN

39951428393_9df8e34eaa_n.jpg

My Mossberg 500 has everything i'd look for in a doomsday. For home defense as well. Reliable as all hell, powerful enough to send a Zombie to hell or go through makeshift covers of whatever is trying to kill you during a purge. And it's actually fairly light the way I have it with the adjustable tactical stock and grip it's extremely accurate and comfortable. I need to equip a strap.

Doomsday Plan

This of course depends on the actual type of dooms day, but my main plan for a zombie apacolypse is already well prepared for. I have a survival bag. (About 70 pounds) It's a cargo bag. It has 12 guage shells which makes up a good portion of it's weight, but it also has .38 special rounds. 2 first aid kits and many Silver coins with the intent that american currency would have collapsed and people were cherishing presish medals again and in foreign countries the metal value would still be well. I have 10 preserved meals and many water purification tablets, flares and a combat survival knife and some rope in the bag. It's brutally big and brutally heavy. It's like a backpack that goes from your neck almost down to below knee level but if it were nut up or shut up season, i'd carry it.

1st plan would be to find a boat or boaters. I live off the coast of MA near the atlantic ocean, so I have a giant bay in my city. The boat people have a yachtsman club here and boats. Big ones. I'd immediately go there and try to see if I convince one of those boat dudes to take me with them on the boat in exchange for some silver and gold and maybe rounds. If not i'd try to find a spare boat to barter with boat people over their boat. (I really need a damn boat but always put it off :( lol)

I'd then sail the high seas like a pirate away from whatever bullshit zombie purge is happening.

If it wasn't zombies and it was a civil war, that answer is more obvious. Civil war calls for nut up or shut up season. Just hunker down, and defend the land.

What is everyone else's plan for doomsday and what is their favorite doomsday gun they have?

M1 Garand deserves honorable mention as well. She's done it before and would do it again. Odds are she'd come along. :D

My opinion is the Walking Dead scenario is extremely unlikely (no government at all, no food, no power etc). What's way more likely is either a Yellow-shirt style civil disorder on a huge scale or a temporary lack of government or services (a week to a few months). In either case you'll still probably end up in jail for shooting random people to take their food, etc. In either case, bug in is the way to go, so I don't really plan for the long-term bug out scenario.

For home defense when the Warren constituents are driving down our street in pickup trucks, I have the BCM AR, and I'd probably open carry my P226 around the neighborhood.

This is gonna be good

But I'll play.

My thoughts are that being prepared for wrol is going to be chaos at first then we will see a world that is bumped back to early 1900s technology. We have a place to go.....north.....not in the woods living like a survivalist.......land......livestock......family that is invited. Just have get there......have a plan for that.

The whole walking dead scenario is utter bullshit. And living on a boat with no fresh water and 10 meals is not going to get you far.

I think you're watching way too much TV..... Varmint nailed it, I think! Civil disorder and protect the home. If transportation is affected more than a few days things will decline quickly. Gas stations keep a three-day supply of fuel on hand under usual conditions as do markets / supermarkets with food. (there is no warehouse out back, what is in the store is on the shelves). Any kind of "event" and there will be a run on these places and their doors will close! It's good to have a bug out plan, but better to have short term and long term plans to be able to hold out in your home. I have plenty (;)) of choices for home defense and plenty of ammo for all of them. I can see my KSG with Aguila mini shells being handy among others.

Custom 10/22 Ruger that was my first build. Complete tackdriver to 100 yards with its Volquartsen barrel.

Why only 22? I'm have everything I need to 'bug in' and will protect the castle Mossad style via shooting approaching bad guys in the nads. I figure after the first two or three, the rest will move on to easier pickings. That and for the entertainment factor.

I would think it would play out similar to ferfal's blog on the collapse in Argentina. He makes a good point that most of the time you aren't going to be able to identify a threat and shoot someone 200 yds out. They usually catch you as you are about to enter your home and walk you in or when you are trying to do your daily chores around your house. A good dog will earn his keep for early warning and protection. Plan for close quarter combat.

First thing you want to do is get the hell away from the major metropolitan areas. They are 90% liberal and have no plans or means for survival. That's where the real chaos will begin.

Best case scenario, I'm going to the homestead. If not possible by car, I'll attempt to take the boat and get there. Worst case scenario, I'll bug in with my network of other prepared folks, and try and get there at a later date.

First thing you want to do is get the hell away from the major metropolitan areas. They are 90% liberal and have no plans or means for survival. That's where the real chaos will begin.

Best case scenario, I'm going to the homestead. If not possible by car, I'll attempt to take the boat and get there. Worst case scenario, I'll bug in with my network of other prepared folks, and try and get there at a later date.

When I drive through places like Queens or dense parts of Boston I like to imagine them after a week of no power and sewer systems. Makes the drive less unpleasant.

I would think it would play out similar to ferfal's blog on the collapse in Argentina. He makes a good point that most of the time you aren't going to be able to identify a threat and shoot someone 200 yds out. They usually catch you as you are about to enter your home and walk you in or when you are trying to do your daily chores around your house. A good dog will earn his keep for early warning and protection. Plan for close quarter combat.
This. So my answer is Glock.

Custom 10/22 Ruger that was my first build. Complete tackdriver to 100 yards with its Volquartsen barrel.

Why only 22? I'm have everything I need to 'bug in' and will protect the castle Mossad style via shooting approaching bad guys in the nads. I figure after the first two or three, the rest will move on to easier pickings. That and for the entertainment factor.

So you are going to go after the old guys first to get the low hanging fruit?

Bob

You're going to need clean water, fresh food, and warm shelter....and probably ten other things before you'll need a gun. But I'll play along. I'll take a nice bolt gun in .308 with a very good scope. And then, one by one I'll pick off all the other survivors and take their all of their stuff.

At one point, back 20 years ago, I had plans to make big travel plans in the event of SHTF.

Then I realized that I've got 90% of what I need at my house. The odds of a SHTF scenario where I HAVE to leave AND there are significantly less people AND there are marauding whatevers out there is so slim as to not plan for.

Since I'm at my house, I've got enough firepower to hold off the marauding hordes for a bit.

You're going to need clean water, fresh food, and warm shelter....and probably ten other things before you'll need a gun. But I'll play along. I'll take a nice bolt gun in .308 with a very good scope. And then, one by one I'll pick off all the other survivors and take their all of their stuff.
And medical supplies. The Apocolypse is going to be so bad that all organized governmental and commercial activities come to a halt. Yet somehow, your family comes through without medical issues. Sounds good.

I like to tell the Zombie Apocolypse dudes I’m going to throw marshmallows at them....

12g although a great shotgun to have for self defense or hunting ( I have a few of them ) it would be on the bottom of my list for a bug out gun. its to dam heavy along with the ammo. I can carry two hundred rounds of .22 in my pockets if need be, it will be plenty to ward off any "zombie" or human that wants my stuff.
Is the best for personal protection, no we all know that, just a good 10/22 or other semi auto is enough to put a person ( or zombie of course a head shot lol ) down in his or her place.
Im not going to be shooting or looking for trouble but even a not so well placed .22 is going to stop the average person you will encounter along your path, if you have to choose a path.

My next choice is a pistol you carry with matching mags in a sub-gun, Keltec or Ruger models come to mine, again a box of 100 rounds of 9MM can fit into the average pocket.

Plan on bugging in, you know your house, you know your neighbor hood you can ride out a lot with that 12g you have defending your house area. Carrying 70lbs of meals and ammo is going to be to much to defend, but at your home its a lot less stress to make it, this is my opinion run with it or not.

A massive solar flare is the only real prospect for a true zombie apocalypse imho so a word on solar flares.

Most of us have heard of the Carrington Event. The sun may be capable of solar flares many times more powerful than the Carrington Event. There's evidence such an event occurred in 774 AD or thereabouts.

Massive solar flare could have caused eighth century radiation burst

A mysterious spike in atmospheric carbon-14 levels 12 centuries ago might be a sign the Sun is capable of producing solar storms dozens of times worse than anything we’ve ever seen, a team of physicists calculates in a paper published this week in Nature.

Furthermore, observations by NASA’s Kepler space telescope have found that Sun-like stars are capable of generating superstorms of this type every few hundred to 1,000 years. This doesn’t mean the Sun does the same, “but it suggests it’s reasonable”, Melott says.

While exploring this topic I found this contemporary account in Thomas D'Arcy's "A Popular History of Ireland."

Twice during this reign the whole island was stricken with panic, by extraordinary signs in the heavens, of huge serpents coiling themselves through the stars, of fiery bolts flying like shuttles from one horizon to the other, or shooting downwards directly to the earth. These atmospheric wonders were accompanied by thunder and lightning so loud and so prolonged that men had to hide themselves for fear in the caverns of the earth. The fairs and the markets were deserted by buyers and sellers, the fields were abandoned by the farmers; steeples were rent by lightning and fell to the ground; the shingle roofs of churches caught fire and burned whole buildings. Shocks of earthquake were also felt, and round towers and cyclopean masonry were strewn in fragments upon the ground. These visitations first occurred in the second year of Donogh, and returned again in 783.

Last edited:
OP as a good test for yourself, not knowing what shape you’re in or your age, have someone drive your 12Ga to the range and wait for you. Then take your 70lb pack just the way it’s set up now, and hump it 15 miles to said range. No threats along the way, not a forced march pace, just an easy walk with it for the 15m.

Once you arrive at the range you’re allowed one swig of water (need to ration it with that kit) and then fire 4 sets of 50rds with your shotgun for a total of 200rds in a 30min time window.

I’d guess by that night you’ll be making better plans.

Back
Top Bottom