What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

They are Federal.. So not remotely a quality round.
I won't even shoot Federal .22 because they are crap.
But these are cheap and the rifle needs rounds through it.
I only have a 100yrad range, but its nice to hit bottles at that range (3/8" AR500 steel in the shape of bottles, life size).
But yeah I know it should be hitting that with no problem. I'll move to 12ga shells later.

RC
Then chalk it up to crap rounds. Toss them in the dud box and move on.

Hoping a better round will ignite 100/100.

Some of them don’t look fully seated. I’m guessing they never chambered fully and that’s why they didn’t fire

uh… what???

Edit: disregard. AR business.
Ha. Yes.

All of my shooting with .223 has been with ARs. I have been trying to find a good left handed bolt target gun but have been unable to find anything from a manufacturer. So Its on hold while I get up the nerve to build a custom gun.

I'm just starting to dip my toe into PRS through shooting rimfire prs. I'd like to build a left handed .223 training gun.

So I know nothing about how most standard savage/rem etc bolt guns are set up. Do these guns have mags that allow for longer COAL than an AR mag will allow?

I assume an AICS 223 mag would allow a very long COAL. Is that right?

Don

p.s. the only company that makes a heavy barrel .223 left handed bolt gun is savage. I have a custom shop savage .308 and while it is an absolute tack driver, it just feels like crap to run. I'm old, I like nice things. I want a gun that feels good to run.

Ha. Yes.

All of my shooting with .223 has been with ARs. I have been trying to find a good left handed bolt target gun but have been unable to find anything from a manufacturer. So Its on hold while I get up the nerve to build a custom gun.

I'm just starting to dip my toe into PRS through shooting rimfire prs. I'd like to build a left handed .223 training gun.

So I know nothing about how most standard savage/rem etc bolt guns are set up. Do these guns have mags that allow for longer COAL than an AR mag will allow?

Don

p.s. the only company that makes a heavy barrel .223 left handed bolt gun is savage. I have a custom shop savage .308 and while it is an absolute tack driver, it just feels like crap to run. I'm old, I like nice things. I want a gun that feels good to run.
Tikka CTR may be a good left handed .223 option, and yeah AICS gives you a TON of room.

Ha. Yes.

Don

1714059332738.png

or, the CTR:

Unless that's not a heavy enough profile? happy to get together and let you try my RH model

View attachment 875497

I pulled this apart for a paint refresh so I may as well, don’t *think* I’ve posted this one.

This is a .223 Atlas Tactical barreled by Charles Largay up in Maine. Really remarkable guy, does great work.

Barrel is a Bartlein, which turned out to be REALLY slow. 27” inches and it’s slower than my wife’s 24” Criterion, interestingly.

It’s in the new-ish MDT JAE which is garbage tier, unfortunately.

Shoots well though! Mostly 75 ELDs around 2850.
i still have one short action rem700 chassis i got on last black friday, and i think something cheap in .223 would fit is nicely...
dunno which one, though, i do not want to spend any extra on it, some factory barreled action would do, but with an ability to swap out barrels later with minimal pain.
does it limit me to bergara options only, or is there anything else out there, that can deliver 1/2 moa but in a budget friendly category ?

i want it for my own pleasure, not to compete, so the 18" or 20" barrel would suffice.

Last edited:
i still have one short action rem700 chassis i got on last black friday, and i think something cheap in .223 would fit is nicely...
dunno which one, though, i do not want to spend any extra on it, some factory barreled action would do, but with an ability to swap out barrels later with minimal pain.
does it limit me to bergara options only, or is there anything else out there, that can deliver 1/2 moa but in a budget friendly category ?
We’ll take this for what it is worth. I have done two barrel swaps onto Remington 700 actions using Criterion Remage barrels from Northland shooters supply. 20-26” barrels are $325, plus barrel nut if you don’t have one. That is with either field or target crown on muzzle. I believe $75 extra to thread for brake on end . Both of mine went 1/2 moa with hand loads. The 6.5 cm if I fire two shots at 100 yards I am disappointed if they don’t touch. I usually only take it when I am going to 1000 yards ranges to shoot 500+. But it’s a sample size of two so…..l might have just been lucky.

I built mine off of Remington 700 barreled actions. older actions ( real bluing) are much slicker to operate than newer ( this century production) actions but if you clean up bolt and firing pin assembly and use it enough the action smooths out ( that’s what I have on my PRS competition rifle). But I’m only serious enough to try to be at or above mid point of competitors. ( but hey I’m 70, moving quickly not my strong suit)

Both my remage rifles fit into a Solus chassis without fitment issues with barrel nut clearance. Other stocks needed work to clear the barrel nut

Getting the factory barrel off can be a chore. I did two 700ml with wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. Took some work. Then a .308 stumped me until I bought a tool designed to do one thing, remove Remington 700 factory barrels. Then it came off easily first attempt Getting factory barrel off is only hard part of rebarrel. Makes a good case to start with unbarrelled Rem 700 action. ( you can at PTG with or withot bolt group and trigger) PTG is pacific tool and gauge

Edit: tool I use for removing factory barrels is the “Ultimate barrel vise” from great Scott shooters.com. $95 (and used in conjunction with internal action wrench)

Last edited:
We’ll take this for what it is worth. I have done two barrel swaps onto Remington 700 actions using Criterion Remage barrels from Northland shooters supply. 20-26” barrels are $325, plus barrel nut if you don’t have one. That is with either field or target crown on muzzle. I believe $75 extra to thread for brake on end . Both of mine went 1/2 moa with hand loads. The 6.5 cm if I fire two shots at 100 yards I am disappointed if they don’t touch. I usually only take it when I am going to 1000 yards ranges to shoot 500+. But it’s a sample size of two so…..l might have just been lucky.

I built mine off of Remington 700 barreled actions. older actions ( real bluing) are much slicker to operate than newer ( this century production) actions but if you clean up bolt and firing pin assembly and use it enough the action smooths out ( that’s what I have on my PRS competition rifle). But I’m only serious enough to try to be at or above mid point of competitors. ( but hey I’m 70, moving quickly not my strong suit)

Both my remage rifles fit into a Solus chassis without fitment issues with barrel nut clearance. Other stocks needed work to clear the barrel nut

Getting the factory barrel off can be a chore. I did two 700ml with wheeler action wrench and barrel vise. Took some work. Then a .308 stumped me until I bought a tool designed to do one thing, remove Remington 700 factory barrels. Then it came off easily first attempt Getting factory barrel off is only hard part of rebarrel. Makes a good case to start with unbarrelled Rem 700 action. ( you can at PTG with or withot bolt group and trigger) PTG is pacific tool and gauge

Edit: tool I use for removing factory barrels is the “Ultimate barrel vise” from great Scott shooters.com. $95 (and used in conjunction with internal action wrench)
i was just browsing what northland site shows, before reading this. also realized that bergara does not even offer a .223 barreled anything. i really wanted to go cheap on this, ideally under $500 for all in all as i already have a trigger and chassis, only need a barreled action. and have no real desire to spend $1k+ on the action alone...
gotta think more probably, as it is no hurry.

Origin action or ARC CDG and Mack Bros are all under $1K new.

Of course adding a barrel is then $600-$800.

I’ll add to the small sample size. I put on a criterion remage from Northland to a bone stock R700 action and it was sub MOA as well.

I’ll add to the small sample size. I put on a criterion remage from Northland to a bone stock R700 action and it was sub MOA as well.
Done this as well, seems like the best way to budget build but as previously mentioned, getting the stock rem barrel off is like pulling teeth 😂

Decent results! Ours wasn’t shooting .5s but still not terrible

Done this as well, seems like the best way to budget build but as previously mentioned, getting the stock rem barrel off is like pulling teeth 😂

Decent results! Ours wasn’t shooting .5s but still not terrible

Why do the OEMs use gorillas to put on barrels? I’ve never been able to break one free from my Tikka’s or Remington’s. I did get the Great Scott vise but haven’t used it yet

No. There are plenty of factory .223 rifles that are both and around $800.
So I am not choosing an action that is marketed at $1400 alone.
Which ones? I don’t know too many factory rifles period that are 1/2 moa guns. 1/2 moa 1 outa 10 groups ok I’ll buy that. If I was a betting man I’d say tikka is best bet for accuracy in this category but unfortunately not r700 based.

If you are shooting Benchrest or F-class, 1/2 moa or better is desirable. Of course, if you are into those games, budget doesn’t matter: whatever it takes to win. But for the rest of us undesirables, 1 moa is really all you need, or can expect from a budget build.

A 1/4 moa rifle would be awesome for me to shoot in Highpower matches, but that slight trigger flinch is still going to shoot an 8 if that's where the sights were.

Sorry- I think of those as greater than 1/2 MOA. Maybe close, but probably .6 to 1.0 MOA. All nice rifles, however.
I wasn’t gonna press the issue but yeah, I’d LOVE to see someone shoot a 10 round group in .5” with an $800-1000 rifle 😂

Even with my gucci guns I probably do like an inch but I’m trash so maybe it’s me

I wasn’t gonna press the issue but yeah, I’d LOVE to see someone shoot a 10 round group in .5” with an $800-1000 rifle 😂

Even with my gucci guns I probably do like an inch but I’m trash so maybe it’s me
A factory TIKKA CTR with factory sh*tty stock can do that all day with good reloads. At least the ones in 6.5cm. Can't speak for 308 FUDD.

If you are trash, it is definitely you. Could also be the ammo or a sh*t scope or a combination of all.

A factory TIKKA CTR with factory sh*tty stock can do that all day with good reloads. At least the ones in 6.5cm. Can't speak for 308 FUDD.

This seems like a fun challenge. Grab your rifle, one 10 round group, post video and/ or pics to the thread. No do overs or warmups!

If you are trash, it is definitely you.

Mediocrity is my passion !

love it then. 10 in there.
View attachment 876596
That doesn't make it a 1/2 moa rifle. That shows you had a lucky day.

Show me 3 consecutive 5 shot groups with that kind of group and it's a .5 moa rifle. This is the problem. People cherry pick a group and that becomes the only group of record. Well, what about the 1.2" groups you shot before and after this gem. I'm exaggerating to make a point.

How you test your rifles accuracy matters. Is someone's claim of a .3" group a single cherry picked 3 shot group?

I shoot multiple 5 shot groups and let the chips fall where they may. I will exclude CALLED flyers though.

Tikka CTR may be a good left handed .223 option, and yeah AICS gives you a TON of room.
What’s the deal about aero solus? I see some vendors offering custom barrels in any chambers for solus including 223, but aero from what I see only supplies 2 types of bolts there and none fits 223?

Back
Top Bottom