What is your "Long Range" Rifle Platform?

Would an Aero m5 with a criterion 6.5 22" barrel be considered a long range gun, or are bolt guns just superior to a gas gun and used.

My 16” 6.5 Criterion can get 50% hits on e-Type, IPSC, and coyote silhouette targets at 1k yards… and I suck at wind reads.

6” more barrel will only increase your capability in long range. It’ll give you nearly 300fps more velocity and save you ~10” of windage at 1k with a 5mph wind.

Law of averages though no? Like i feel like if i point a gun in a general direction and take 1000 shots i can hit something and I'm willing to 5x that with combat stress. But 20x seems like a lot
It might seem like a lot, but...

<Insert NES Car Shoot anecdote here>

Law of averages though no? Like i feel like if i point a gun in a general direction and take 1000 shots i can hit something and I'm willing to 5x that with combat stress. But 20x seems like a lot
Yeah, I'm way out of my lane when talking about this stuff, but I can see a platoon being told to lay down some fire on a Ridge, and expending a few thousand rounds and not hitting anyone. They were throwing rounds at the ridge to keep the enemy's heads down while they maneuvere to do something else, not necessarily hit them.

Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I'm way out of my lane when talking about this stuff, but I can see a platoon being told to lay down some fire on a Ridge, and expending a few thousand rounds and not hitting anyone. They were throwing rounds at the ridge to keep the enemy's heads down while they maneuvere to do something else, not necessarily hit them.

Again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I don't either ...i mean i hear you... just seems crazy that's all... so those guys are just spreading lead at people trying to hit something. For maf's sake let's use 50 guys in the platoon

50 guys dump 3 mags a piece at a hill for supressive fire... 150 mags x 30 = 4,500 rds

That means on average every time that 50 man platoon goes out and puts that kinda hate on a hill... 1 out of every 4.5 times they hit someone.

Just seems wild that's all

Think heavily fortified German positions with several squads of infantry firing at the bunker… not going to hit much of value

Estimates are all over the place, and some include rounds fired in training

"During World War II it was estimated that 45,000 rounds of small arms ammunition was fired to kill one enemy soldier. In Vietnam the American military establishment consumed an estimated 50,000 rounds of ammunition for every enemy killed."

I've always been curious how accurate that was.

20,000 is a lot of rounds to not hit anything with.

Fire a bunch of machine guns into dense jungle for enemies you can’t actually see, then tell me how many bullets per kill you get 😉

I’m willing to bet real money that the majority of soldiers shooting during Vietnam never even saw their enemies.

Last edited:
I don't either ...i mean i hear you... just seems crazy that's all... so those guys are just spreading lead at people trying to hit something. For maf's sake let's use 50 guys in the platoon

50 guys dump 3 mags a piece at a hill for supressive fire... 150 mags x 30 = 4,500 rds

That means on average every time that 50 man platoon goes out and puts that kinda hate on a hill... 1 out of every 4.5 times they hit someone.

Just seems wild that's all

It’s not about mags, it’s about belts. And think how many rounds the Puff the Magic Dragon put down into jungles to cover areas.

Fire a bunch of machine guns into dense jungle for enemies you can’t actually see, then tell me how many bullets per kill you get 😉

I’m willing to bet real money that the majority of soldiers shooting during Vietnam never even saw their enemies.
I Thought VN had like 1 for 12,000 after they took away the fun switches tho.

My 16” 6.5 Criterion can get 50% hits on e-Type, IPSC, and coyote silhouette targets at 1k yards… and I suck at wind reads.

6” more barrel will only increase your capability in long range. It’ll give you nearly 300fps more velocity and save you ~10” of windage at 1k with a 5mph wind.
I had pretty good results with 6.5cm in 16” and 20” barrels, but .308 was ‘interesting’ way more , dunno, may be because of varget powder or other factors, but so far accuracy was fluctuating.
I did not try criterion yet, though, only aero, ba and faxon. All were, dunno, inconsistent. On some tryouts I can get 1/2 moa consistent groups, then load a batch same formula and it produces wider spreads out of the sudden. Go figure.

Better barrels should get you better results. Those aren’t match barrels, they are budget barrels people buy hoping to get good results.

He’s saying Aero, Ballistic advantage and Faxon. I don’t know, but I’ve got a 22” criterion barrel back ordered, 1-2 months .

This. They are.
You can like your Aero “we don’t believe in QC” barrel and possibly even get a good one but it’s still a small step up from Anderson and PSA.

So Faxxon is crap?

RC

Yeah. I had heard they were good value before COVID, but I’ve had issues with all three of the ones I bought. A 16” 6.5 CM had a chamber so tight that it failed to extract frequently, a 9” 300blk with a small gas port that wouldn’t even lock back on supers, and a 14.5” “match” gunner barrel that I’ve admittedly never shot, but very quickly developed rust on the laser etched logo.

I refuse to buy another one.

Their QC is garbage these days and has been for years. If you want some of the lightest barrels, they’re your answer, but lots of people have issues with their barrels.

Is it chrome lined or something?
This is the barrel. Nitride finish. Granted I haven't bought one since 2017ish, so quality could have changed. Too bad if it has, mine is a great barrel.

Alright, I need an adult.

Over the weekend I mounted a Steiner T6Xi 2.5-15x50 to an 18” DD AR10 .308 using a Reptilia mount (0 MOA). I zeroed it to 100m, set the turrets, and confirmed zero, so it’s a functional gun, but I had a bunch of questions during the process that I wasn’t sure of.

1) when using levels for the mount, do you level the scope (level on the turret) to the upper receiver or hand guard? Does it matter? Is there any value to leveling the target and making sure the reticle is plumb/level to that?

2) Does placement of the optic within the mount matter? (E.g. how do you determine where the mount is on the receiver)

I had other questions but I’ll start there. Bare in mind this is my first dive into precision shooting.

Here’s the setup

7CF0EF34-F52A-4D8B-8890-24FC8A4679B5.jpeg

Put the optic in the mount and the mount on the receiver so you have proper eye relief when in a natural and comfortable shooting position.

The scope should be leveled to the receiver, there are several ways to achieve this. Multiple levels on things, or one level on the receiver and align the reticle to a plumb line

Put the optic in the mount and the mount on the receiver so you have proper eye relief when in a natural and comfortable shooting position.

The scope should be leveled to the receiver, there are several ways to achieve this. Multiple levels on things, or one level on the receiver and align the reticle to a plumb line

Call me a moron, I eyeballed my scope to my rifle and at 300 yards it’s hitting the X ring. But I’m a plumber in real life.

Yes, but there’s so much rail on an AR10 receiver that the scope can be in the exact position with lots of variance for where it mounts. See pic. I have the mount as far back as possible, maybe it doesn’t matter?

I had two levels, but in hindsight I should have created a plumb line to line up the reticle.

Back
Top Bottom