What did you do to your firearm today.

Put the EGW ignition kit in my Prodigy. It made an improvement in the trigger but when firing there was a hangup in the slide's movement. Possibly the disco. Put the original internals back in since I won't have time to mess with it before the match this weekend.

Got a few of my firearms some good quality food. After a few years where Black Hills stopped making 5.56 77gr TMKs, they came back in stock briefly.

Love the spicy green tip. FCAC7F13-6296-47AC-A02F-82AB532B7F24.jpeg

Some ammo for a future project was on sale too, so I grabbed some of that. We’ll see how the project goes next year.
5A4F7513-B521-4512-B610-49299046D7A2.jpeg

Dressed her up a bit. Getting ready for the fun seasons coming up. Next will be a 1.54 riser for the optic and possible a optic upgrade.
View attachment 784679View attachment 784680

The Scalarworks 1.42” mounts work well on the MP5 too. And the Scalarworks style mounts let you still use the irons if you want.

* apparently they only have 1.57”+ for the micro optic mount pattern. Still recommend Scalarworks.

2628573C-19BD-41AC-8562-619AA806998B.jpeg

8D9465E1-EE7D-4E37-A24E-8E4F544AEF5F.jpeg

The Scalarworks 1.42” mounts work well on the MP5 too. And the Scalarworks style mounts let you still use the irons if you want.

* apparently they only have 1.57”+ for the micro optic mount pattern. Still recommend Scalarworks.
That’s the mount I’m looking for. Used to see them all the time on the used market but haven’t seen one in a while unless you also buy a T2 as a package.

It’s hard to be a skinflint these days.

Made a nice heatshield for the beaver barf handguard on my vz58. They're known to get hot quickly so I copied it from a thread on FiringLine, where a guy made his own.
Couple layers of aluminum tape on the handguard itself plus the shield. Should be a big improvement over the tin foil I had in it before.
Can't even tell its there. Attached a picture of the cutout I followed. Fit as described, little tip if you're gonna do it is leave the sides long so you can shave them down to fit, when doing so it'll leave a little bur on the edge that'll grip into the tape on the rear side while the front of it sits in the hadnguard ring.
20230823_134042.jpg 20230823_131943.jpg 20230823_134658.jpg 20230823_134822.jpg Screenshot_20230621_114507_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Modified my Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Put a combat cut on it, trimmed it down, made it smaller and lighter and moved the belt clips in.
It was/is a great holster, but i got a different brand hybrid holster and it was so much lighter and more comfortable than the crossbreed, so i went to work on the crossbreed to make it more like the other. See pictures; original picture is from internet and the modded picture one is mine. 0145AE97-205A-4689-97A8-9BD73EA43142.jpeg holster.jpg holster2.jpg

Last edited:
Modified my Crossbreed Supertuck holster. Put a combat cut on it, trimmed it down, made it smaller and lighter and moved the belt clips in.
It was/is a great holster, but i got a different brand hybrid holster and it was so much lighter and more comfortable than the crossbreed, so i went to work on the crossbreed to make it more like the other. See pictures; original picture is from internet and the modded picture one is mine.View attachment 789963View attachment 790294View attachment 790295
I’m sure you’ve thought about this, but wouldn’t trimming away the leather above the trigger guard increase the possibility that a lose bit of clothing could get caught inside the trigger guard during holstering?

I’m sure you’ve thought about this, but wouldn’t trimming away the leather above the trigger guard increase the possibility that a lose bit of clothing could get caught inside the trigger guard during holstering?
The trigger guard is fully enclosed and it is a tight snap when piece is fully holstered, the space is no different from other holsters for the most part. IMG_0680.jpeg IMG_0681.jpeg IMG_0679.jpeg IMG_0682.jpeg

I wasn’t talking about when it’s holstered, it’s when you are in the act of holstering

New optic. I’m coming from a German #4 Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x.

Initial impressions, meh.

-Glass is good, don’t see anything sub-par about it
-Feels solid and has good build quality
-Better field of view than the TR24, but not as good as some other LPVOs (I hated the TR24’s toilet paper tube view)
-Magnification throw is light and smooth (TR24 is very heavy even with a throw lever)
-Bright lume
- Image gets noticeably dark moving up to 8x on an overcast day

The tight eye box isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but is definitely noticeable.

The biggest thing is it has an imprecise aiming point in the 1-3x-ish range. For up close work it is fine. But if I stay on 1x out to 100 yards, I can only see the big circle around the center dot. I can’t make out the dot. I have to dial up the magnification to get a good aiming point.

I need to do some shooting with it, but I’m thinking I might swap it out for a Trijicon TR25 mil-dot.

EC67D071-C7F6-44A4-BDB5-AAC7AF669D21.jpeg

Current project while others are on hold, replacing the common loose/weak rivets on my trilux scope top cover. This is a known issue with reproduction covers, the rivets are soft and loosen up over time allowing play between the T bracket for the scope and the top cover itself. I bought it this way. Drilled out the old rivets. Drilled access holes in the top cover. (aftermarket covers won't have an access hole or will have a circular hole, the orginal military mounts will have a square hole and wont have this issue) This will allow me to nut and bolt it with small machine screws like most people do. Will touch the scratches up later as I may need to make the holes larger depending on nut size. Other option is weld but I don't have that ability. Just need to get some screws now and should be good to go. Then comes the fun of trying to sight it in. Will update once I get some screws.
IUNme6j.jpeg
2UlsnIO.jpeg
tkAaeXX.jpeg
yDztf6h.jpeg

I did the coolest thing today! Lightened up my Smith 642 revolver today. Ordered a Smith 342 parts kit from Everygunpart.com
Swapped the titanium cylinder in; used original extractor and springs, etc. so no timing issues. Perfect and awesome! 12.5 oz unloaded.
Also got to use my new tool from Otis Products; Glock multi tool and mag tool. Cheap and worked great!
IMG_0461.jpeg IMG_0463.jpeg IMG_0464.jpeg IMG_0467.jpeg
**Update, 09/27/2023.**10/05/2023**
Lightened up the S&W 642 even more with a different grip! Dropped 0.4oz more.
12.1oz unloaded!!
Also swapped out the screws and ejector rod for two tone look.
IMG_0490.jpeg IMG_0489.jpeg

Last edited:
I didn't do the work because I know my gun plumber limitations. I picked this up at my gunsmith today. Was a 38sc open gun. Now a 9mm limited optics gun.
new Schuemann Z 9mm barrel fit and chambered
slide milled for Atlas' plate
new aluminum grip fit (the original had cracked as they all do under major PF recoil, only time will tell how this one will hold up to a life of minor PF)

Attachments

• 19956048_1489139494472745_1930800439717456101_o.jpg
    19956048_1489139494472745_1930800439717456101_o.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20230924_204503506.jpg
    PXL_20230924_204503506.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 15
Got my trilux topcover finished. Nice and sturdy now looking forward to trying it out. No pictures at the moment.
Also got around to mounting my g3 bayonet on my ptr91.
The mounting ring has to be opened slightly to fit ptr's muzzle brake, they're slightly larger then orginals. Only took a few minutes then touched it up with some cold blue.
Got the bayonet and adapter from Apex, although they don't carry the screw for it so that came from rtg.
GElIjkY.jpeg

Last edited:
Put the EGW ignition kit in my Prodigy. It made an improvement in the trigger but when firing there was a hangup in the slide's movement. Possibly the disco. Put the original internals back in since I won't have time to mess with it before the match this weekend.

Which version of the prodigy and how is it holding up?

New optic. I’m coming from a German #4 Trijicon Accupoint TR24 1-4x.

Initial impressions, meh.

-Glass is good, don’t see anything sub-par about it
-Feels solid and has good build quality
-Better field of view than the TR24, but not as good as some other LPVOs (I hated the TR24’s toilet paper tube view)
-Magnification throw is light and smooth (TR24 is very heavy even with a throw lever)
-Bright lume
- Image gets noticeably dark moving up to 8x on an overcast day

The tight eye box isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but is definitely noticeable.

The biggest thing is it has an imprecise aiming point in the 1-3x-ish range. For up close work it is fine. But if I stay on 1x out to 100 yards, I can only see the big circle around the center dot. I can’t make out the dot. I have to dial up the magnification to get a good aiming point.

I need to do some shooting with it, but I’m thinking I might swap it out for a Trijicon TR25 mil-dot.

View attachment 795009

Well, I didn’t even get it to the range before deciding to go to something else.

@AJK129 You were thinking about the NX8. I’d be cautious. I was always skeptical about people’s claims of a tight eye box, thinking it was exaggerated and was probably only noticeable at 6-8x.

But, it really does have a tight eyebox, even at 1x. And it’s not even that you start to get scope shadow quickly, but that almost instantaneously as getting scope shadow, the whole thing turns black. There’s not really any gradient. It’s just you can see the image or you can’t. It made the sight picture a little slow to acquire. It’s all a shame because I loved nearly everything else about the optic.

But then I found a very mint, but used, Elcan Specter for a great deal and jumped on it. It’s perfect for this rifle. This is my primary go-to carbine for anything outside the house and the durability track record of the optic is great. The reticle is very usable without a battery, but the dot is truly Aimpoint bright (the NX8 was too). And the BDC perfectly matches the 77gr TMK drops out to 600.

Same weight as the NX8 with the mount. Maybe a tad lighter and the weight is further back. Only downside is I’m pretty used to 6/8x magnification on the high side now and 4x now seems a little low when I was zeroing/checking groups the other day. Particularly with the 1.5 MOA dot on 4x. But perfectly good for the ranges this would be expected to perform at.

4766D384-5FD0-47CE-9F4A-44FBC3E57AF4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom