What did you do to your firearm today.

Well, I didn’t even get it to the range before deciding to go to something else.

@AJK129 You were thinking about the NX8. I’d be cautious. I was always skeptical about people’s claims of a tight eye box, thinking it was exaggerated and was probably only noticeable at 6-8x.

But, it really does have a tight eyebox, even at 1x. And it’s not even that you start to get scope shadow quickly, but that almost instantaneously as getting scope shadow, the whole thing turns black. There’s not really any gradient. It’s just you can see the image or you can’t. It made the sight picture a little slow to acquire. It’s all a shame because I loved nearly everything else about the optic.

But then I found a very mint, but used, Elcan Specter for a great deal and jumped on it. It’s perfect for this rifle. This is my primary go-to carbine for anything outside the house and the durability track record of the optic is great. The reticle is very usable without a battery, but the dot is truly Aimpoint bright (the NX8 was too). And the BDC perfectly matches the 77gr TMK drops out to 600.

Same weight as the NX8 with the mount. Maybe a tad lighter and the weight is further back. Only downside is I’m pretty used to 6/8x magnification on the high side now and 4x now seems a little low when I was zeroing/checking groups the other day. Particularly with the 1.5 MOA dot on 4x. But perfectly good for the ranges this would be expected to perform at.

View attachment 806411
I went the opposite direction, I bought a mk5 3.8-18 instead of another lpvo, I wanted a good image at around 10x so something like this made a lot more sense. My lpvo rifle will keep the pst2 1-6 which does the job well enough.

Painted the 450 bushmaster today.
I figured I'd try the rustoleum hammered spray paint,mainly because Lowe's didn't have any regular spray paint in these colors.

Paint was difficult to spray. Came out super thick or super light like a watery consistency.

End result was a super textured spray.
Like you would spray it and throw it in a child's sandbox.

IMG_20231021_130910231.jpg

Finally added a light to my 18" AR-15. Surefire scout pro turbo.
20231104_173323.jpg
Went ahead and moved my new modlite PDW light to an offset mount on my AR-9 SBR. It definitely makes it less sleek but it was way cheaper than getting a taller mount. Also went ahead an installed a Geissele maritime bolt catch.
20231104_172313.jpg

Got a sweet deal on the scalarworks and aimpoint magnifier combo. I also swapped out the AFG for the BCM vertical. Really happy with this X95 setup now.
20231104_172200.jpg

If anyone has suggestions on adjusting placement let me know. Nothing is set in stone and this is my first magnifier. I don't know if I can reverse the surefire mount so I can swing it up instead of down. I'd like it to be a little more tucked in.

Last edited:
French Pistole Automatique 6.35mm project that I have been working on. (Bought not working and missing firing pin; did that and got it working etc.)
Now, I disassembled, cleaned, stripped, and Duracoated plus new grips to keep the originals safe and no corner chips.
Came out "alright"; a few bad spots, but it was a little rough to begin with. I only paid $54.99 for it, plus the parts and supplies, so maybe $150ish total? whatever.
Pictures before and after:
View attachment 810856View attachment 810857View attachment 810858View attachment 810859View attachment 810860View attachment 810861
Beautiful!! I have the same pistol named the Destructor but my serrations are curved.
Same exact barrel.

RC

Added an extending charging handle latch to clear a scope on an ar.
Swapped some parts from a newly acquired l1a1 sporter to an existing l1a1 to match better.
Cleaned the classic century black paint they applied to everything off the sporter handguards to reveal a super nice set of Australian handguards. Quite the surprise!
HelQitw.jpeg
61RuaQ0.jpeg
After a wipe with some mineral spirits. Should look great after a few coats of blo!
PSDIUsi.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my Reptilia mount installed. It was the answer to a problem I created by wanting the modlite PDW light mounted on top.
I have a cheap magpul offset mount but I just didn't like it because the light is chunky.
The mount seems well made and very sturdy. I like how they put the ft.-lbs. Torque specs right on it.
This is the same style mount I have up for Karma.

20231206_163320.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought all the parts to build my son a 10.5" upper with 12" slanted handguard and flash can.
I only need to buy an arm brace now.
Now lets hope it all arrives before Christmas.

RC
But I thought the arm brace thing wasn't a thing anymore and it's now an SBR

After a little looking all I could find is a temporary injunction stopping the ATF from enforcing the rule until it is settled by the court, this was in November.
This would mean you can have it but the rule is only suspended not dead. So a good step but its not dead yet.
It could also mean if the court decides in favor of the ATF, any one who has one may become an instant felon.
Everyone gets to decide their own risk tolerance level, but if you do have/get one you might want to keep an eye on what the court does, not just look at the click bait. The court may or may not add a grace period if it all goes wrong.

If I missed the final ruling someone please let me know.

42! Yes but. Its enough that all the gun company emails I get are now back to selling them on their guns again. PSA, CMMG, etc....
All the professional gun-tubers are saying its dead. The Lawyer types that is.

RC

42! Yes but. Its enough that all the gun company emails I get are now back to selling them on their guns again. PSA, CMMG, etc....
All the professional gun-tubers are saying its dead. The Lawyer types that is.

RC
Most of the YouTube "lawyers" are nothing but click bait whores, they scream BIG WIN when its really nothing. If you want the real story this is the guy. Ya, boring as hell but do you want entertainment or information?

The reality is it's not dead, there is a temporary injunction based on a procedural challenge. When the court issues a final rule it may uphold the challenge but even that isn't a definitive win since the ATF would only have to change the process and put it back in place. It's not a constitutional challenge that would put an end to it.

Matthew Larosiere | Learn Liberty

I'm not saying don't do it, that's your call, just be sure it's a fully informed decision and own it regardless of what happens in the future.

The gun lawyers on there were calling this a win.
Its when I start seeing firearm companies start selling them again attached to their firearms is when I figured that its pretty much over. These companies have the most to lose.

RC

The gun lawyers on there were calling this a win.
Its when I start seeing firearm companies start selling them again attached to their firearms is when I figured that its pretty much over. These companies have the most to lose.

RC
Matt is the legal counsel for the FPC, they are the driving force behind all the Fed challenges and has taken his cases to SCOTUS. The other internet lawyers are just that "internet" lawyers. Even the few that filed a "Friend of the court" opinion did so unsolicited by the actual plaintiffs and anyone, including me and you, can do that.

As for the manufacturer's, they are profit making companies sell while they can, this is what a for profit company does. They don't lose by selling now, the courts aren't going to make them take it all back. The lose by not selling when they can, and will just stop when/if the ruling goes against the brace. And yes it is legal, and might end up being so, but right now it's based on a Texas order, that is a temporary injunction. When that case is heard that court will issue a ruling as to if the adoption of the rule by the ATF followed proper guidelines. This does not settle the constitutional issue and all the ATF has to do is re-do the rule following proper procedures. Only a SCOTUS case based on the constitutional challenge will put an end to this.......... until SCOTUS changes it's mind.

Again, everyone should do as hey want, but do it without ignorance of the situation. The law is not going to care if you didn't know, or didn't want to know.

Personally I go with the SBR, not because of some legal games, but because I will not be the kind of person who lies to themselves and others by calling it a pistol when in fact it is and I want an SBR, even though everyone is "in on it". It just seems dishonest to me. Oh, and I like having a vertical front grip. And even though I'd call my SBR mid-tier, the $200 is little more than 10%

Back
Top Bottom