• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What about meds?

Has anyone thought about what they'd do in a real SHTF situation regarding any crucial prescription meds they might need to continue taking? That is, what if you or a loved on are on meds for high blood pressure, or diabetes, or something like that? Can you stockpile the stuff in advance to prepare or are you totally SOL?

I don't take meds but my wife does. She have 2 months of prescriptions just in case. I told the Doc that we were traveling outside of the country for a period of time. He wrote the script but we had to pay out of pocket. We cycle through them so she is not taking "old" meds.
Mil-Dot

Here's another interesting thought...So many millions of Americans are heavily (read physically) addicted to such a wide range of drugs. Not just the opiate-based ones you think of immediately, but the Benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan, Xanax, et all and don't forget the Antidepressants, the SSRI (selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)...Oh, yeah, those baby's are highly and physically addictive. If there ever was a long term shutdown or disruption in the flow of commerce, you could see some real nuttiness across the country as people detox and go through withdrawal en mass coming out the other end with a newfound clarity, hopelessness and follow though.

Hmmm... how to stock up on meds...

I can tell you that every year I travel outside the US for a period of four to eight weeks (in my case Canada). I call the pharmacy and explain that I'm looking for a vacation override for overseas travel. They call the insurance company and get it approved. I am then allowed to get refills early and often.

YMMV.

Rich

Medicines expire. They won't last indefinitely. And besides that, good luck buying more than a 90 day supply of prescription meds (legally, that is).

I have thought about it and it scares the crap out of me. Even if you can horde a few months worth. If the SHTF, it will last longer than that. Guess if your life depended on it, you would do what you had to.....

Medicines expire. They won't last indefinitely.

I could be wrong ( Dave will probably appear in this thread shortly to kick my ass if I am) but a lot of medications retain potency WELL beyond the actual stated expiration date. The listed date is merely the date at which the manufacturer can absolutely, 110% guarantee potency/quality at- but that doesn't mean that they won't work beyond that.

I also remember reading (probably here, actually) that in some cases you can legally build up a supply of medication, although it's probably impossible to do it
with the highly regulated stuff, eg, painkillers, etc.

-Mike

Medicines expire. They won't last indefinitely. And besides that, good luck buying more than a 90 day supply of prescription meds (legally, that is).

Why wouldn't it be legal?...It's actually quite possible to get a year's supply of prescription medication at once, depending on the medication. If it's a Controlled Substance, as classified by the DEA, it would depend on the state that you purchase it in. For something as simple as a cholesterol medication like Lipitor, there's no reason why you couldn't go to the pharmacy and get a year's worth in one shot...Getting your insurance to cover a year's worth is another story. Something like a cheap blood pressure medication like Atenolol would only cost someone maybe $35-$45 for a year's worth of tablets OUT OF POCKET. They're super cheap.

Why wouldn't it be legal?...It's actually quite possible to get a year's supply of prescription medication at once, depending on the medication.

Because most doctor's will only give you a scrip for 1 month supply +3 refills, or 3 month supply plus 1 refill.

There are alternative ways to get prescription medicines, but those aren't legal.

I could be wrong ( Dave will probably appear in this thread shortly to kick my ass if I am) but a lot of medications retain potency WELL beyond the actual stated expiration date. The listed date is merely the date at which the manufacturer can absolutely, 110% guarantee potency/quality at- but that doesn't mean that they won't work beyond that.

Agreed. The do retain potency. The question is, how much? I'm sure it will depend upon the med and how it is stored (cool and dry versus hot and sunny, etc.).

Because most doctor's will only give you a scrip for 1 month supply +3 refills, or 3 month supply plus 1 refill.

There are alternative ways to get prescription medicines, but those aren't legal.

My point is that there's NOTHING illegal if your doctor writes the script for a year's worth...Explain the cost benefit and most doctors won't hesitate for certain meds. It depends on the med though...If it's something where your levels could fluctuate, they might not, but something simple like Atenolol or Lisinopril, probably wouldn't be an issue...and definitely NOT illegal.

Agreed. The do retain potency. The question is, how much? I'm sure it will depend upon the med and how it is stored (cool and dry versus hot and sunny, etc.).

They do retain their potency well, and yes, it depends on how it is stored. The manufacturer's bottle (which most of the time customers DON'T see) has the correct expiration date, which is the date that the manufacturer can guarantee 100% potency. They usually maintain that potency for a good period after that, though noone really knows, because the customer never sees the manufacturers bottle.

My point is that there's NOTHING illegal if your doctor writes the script for a year's worth...Explain the cost benefit and most doctors won't hesitate for certain meds. It depends on the med though..

My point was not that it was illegal to get a scrip for 1 year, but that, in most cases, you can't get a scrip that will give you 1 year of a drug. Also, for most health plans that have drug benefits, they will only cover 1-3 months of a drug at a time (1 month at the local pharmacy, 3 months for mail order). YMMV.

My point was not that it was illegal to get a scrip for 1 year, but that, in most cases, you can't get a scrip that will give you 1 year of a drug. Also, for most health plans that have drug benefits, they will only cover 1-3 months of a drug at a time (1 month at the local pharmacy, 3 months for mail order). YMMV.

Typically and 95% of the time [wink]

Here's another interesting thought...So many millions of Americans are heavily (read physically) addicted to such a wide range of drugs. Not just the opiate-based ones you think of immediately, but the Benzodiazepines like Valium, Ativan, Xanax, et all and don't forget the Antidepressants, the SSRI (selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)...Oh, yeah, those baby's are highly and physically addictive. If there ever was a long term shutdown or disruption in the flow of commerce, you could see some real nuttiness across the country as people detox and go through withdrawal en mass coming out the other end with a newfound clarity, hopelessness and follow though.

Yes. I never really thought of that. I wonder how that would all pan out...

I don't know what your medical issues/medications are, but if you do some research you may be able to find 'natural' versions of what you have. If so you can look into planting the weeds/flowers/trees/bushes that'll give you what you need.

I have never had a problem getting an MD to give me a 90 days supply with 3 refills on long term meds (so far, with 5 different MDs [mostly docs quitting their practice and being replaced] and have, in fact, never been turned down with such a request. I don't think pharmacies will honor an Rx over one year old though.

With long term meds, the 90 day mail order script is the way to go. Day 1 get new perscription, note the date to send for renewal (about 60 days from order). Renew asap and repeat, in less than a years you will have about 120 days of meds on the shelf. Get annual physicals, and perscriptions everytime and it should be relatively easy to maintain 6-12 months supply after 2-3 years of taking the meds. Works for me.

you here about elderly folks taking trips to Canada for cheap meds... I don't know the mechanics, but there may be a strategy in there somewhere...

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49817

In my second post in the thread from last week I stated this as a major cause of death in the population if we lost power food and water and fuel.

first people die of infection from injuries, then the diabetics go next, followed by a multitude of others who kill themselves due to lack of antidepressants or schitzo meds.

.....Maybe Zombie attacks aren't too far fetched after all

As a physicia i can say that most doctors dont care how long of a NON CONTROLLED prescription you are provided. What do i care if i give you 120 days or 365 days of refils? Be aware you can use a refil any time. If you take your metoprolol for blood pressure and you get 30 tablets and 3 refils, you can go back in a week and get your refil. and a week later. You wont get flagged for a noncontrolled medication. Nobody is selling prescription strength Motrin on the black market.

NOW, the discussion about antidepressants, antianxiety medications, painkillers... yes if there was a significant supply disruption i can say a few dangerous things would happen.
1) pharmacies will be huge targets for theft/robbery
2) black market sales of these medicaitons will skyrocket (mostly for controlled meds)
3) Many people simply will not cope

unfortunately, i'm NOT a proponent of all these psych meds for mild depression and anxiety. I think people should learn to cope like people did before the advent of these medications. Those people in a survival situaiton will either become irrational or unable to do much of anything.

Besides, if they cant cope with day-to-day hardship, the effect of a disaster would be just overwhealming. We'd probably see a rash of suicide following a major event, though the media would probably not be so quick to report it, like the people in NOLA after the hurricane.

Anyhow, YES, you can have a supply of non-controlled medications, but i d not stockpile controlled medications unless you want the DEA at your door...

Be aware you can use a refil any time. If you take your metoprolol for blood pressure and you get 30 tablets and 3 refils, you can go back in a week and get your refil. and a week later. You wont get flagged for a noncontrolled medication. Nobody is selling prescription strength Motrin on the black market.
+1. The rate controlling factor here is insurance. If you pay out-of-pocket, you are not restricted to 30 or 90 days supply. You can get as many (non-controlled meds) as you can pay for.

Also, if you want to know the manufacturer's expiration date all you have to do is request that info from your pharmacist. Then just write it on the bottle.

I also remember reading (probably here, actually) that in some cases you can legally build up a supply of medication, although it's probably impossible to do it with the highly regulated stuff, eg, painkillers, etc.
Just renew your scrips as soon as you can - there's an overlap that lets you build up a supply. Just remember to take your oldest meds first and cycle through your supply.

Heh. I can't wait to see the looks on the caffeine addicts' faces when they can't get their super-sized Starbucks in a long-term disruption of the supply chain!! It's gonna get UGLY out there...

With long term meds, the 90 day mail order script is the way to go. Day 1 get new perscription, note the date to send for renewal (about 60 days from order). Renew asap and repeat, in less than a years you will have about 120 days of meds on the shelf. Get annual physicals, and perscriptions everytime and it should be relatively easy to maintain 6-12 months supply after 2-3 years of taking the meds. Works for me.
I knew that SOMEONE would be sure to mention this.

Oddly enough this is how I sold the fiance on guns. Some backstory:

Fiance is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. I simply asked her how much insulin supply she had at one time and how long it would last. When I asked her what would happen when she started to run out of insulin she made it clear to me that i'd be taking over a CVS by force for their insulin. It's interesting when you can explain how their survival might be on the line for something minor like a 2 week snow storm.

Needless to say she's now armed with a ALP class A :)

Oddly enough this is how I sold the fiance on guns. Some backstory:

Fiance is a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic. I simply asked her how much insulin supply she had at one time and how long it would last. When I asked her what would happen when she started to run out of insulin she made it clear to me that i'd be taking over a CVS by force for their insulin. It's interesting when you can explain how their survival might be on the line for something minor like a 2 week snow storm.

Needless to say she's now armed with a ALP class A :)

You may be able to take over the CVS, but with no power insulin spoils fast...

It is advisable you keep a lot of those "instant cold" packs handy as well as high efficiency coolers.

just a thought

Some is better then none. It depends on how long a situation we're talking about. If you're talking a real armageddon SHTF we're all going to wind up with much shorter lifespans & mortality rates are going to go way up as supplies of modern medication gets used up and no more is created.

Thinking of the insulin thing. With the obesity in the US, and the newish dependency on insulin medications, I imagine this could be an eye opener if something long term were to happen on a larger scale, like a BIG blizzard or hurricane. The storm we had this week was pretty localized to a subsection of New England. One can just drive to get what one needs (generator, medicine, etc.). In the event of a bigger storm, driving from NH to NJ might not be possible.

Back
Top Bottom