• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Water, what’s your plan?

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
To me drinking water is one of the biggest challenges out there if things go sidewise and China has its way in the municipal water works.

What’s your plan for water in the event that the municipal water supply is unavailable for the short AND long term?

Thanks,

Bob

To me drinking water is one of the biggest challenges out there if things go sidewise and China has its way in the municipal water works.

What’s your plan for water in the event that the municipal water supply is unavailable for the short AND long term?

Thanks,

Bob
I've thought about this. I have access to the Yellowstone. I'm good with that.

No need to buy the whole stacked pot system. Just a cheap pot and drill some holes for the filters to fit in. Let gravity do the work.

No need to buy the whole stacked pot system. Just a cheap pot and drill some holes for the filters to fit in. Let gravity do the work.

I have a Big Berkey... that's my go to plan.

There's a source of water 200 yards from the house. A stream that goes through a culvert under the main road.

Three 55gal food-grade drums in the basement - every 5yr, I filter water in (particle/carbon) and add hypochlorite. We have a nearby pond as well, so I have a few gravity filtration units and 5gal buckets to haul water on a wagon and pre-filter the big grit out. Two portable toilets with a few hundred bags for waste and alcohol hand sanitizer. We’re on a 19-home neighborhood well system with a 500gal propane generator backup for short outages. There is a hand-crank in the pump house should we need it. By the time we do, I figure few neighbors will be left.

I think about this all the time. I have a few options:
-stream-thru pond in the backyard which I can filter
-underground well and I've considered installing a hand-pump
-I keep multiple gallon jugs of water in the basement just because
-and everyone needs one or two of these:
1707524704637.png

I think about this all the time. I have a few options:
-stream-thru pond in the backyard which I can filter
-underground well and I've considered installing a hand-pump
-I keep multiple gallon jugs of water in the basement just because
-and everyone needs one or two of these:
View attachment 848555
What’s that device for?

Lucky to live next to the CT river, so I don't take that shortage thing too seriously.
Also have 4 big 275 gallon water totes on the side of the garage, molding away have not done anything with them in years, need to clean them.
Also have 10 cases of plastic bottles in rotation.
Also have one of those berkey type water filter pitcher things with extra filters
Also have life straws

I call those things ‘Zurn’ keys and have one somewhere. I also have some water purification tabs, a ‘Life Straw’, and a travel size Burkee which I use several times a day. As far as vessels to hold water I have some food grade buckets with lids from Home Depot. They cost more that the Homer buckets but well worth it imo

Thanks,

Bob
Short term keep a bunch of 5 or 6 gallon carboys full. Long term find your nearest source. We don’t live in the desert. Water is everywhere around here. You need a plan to filter it and to transport it. And a means of transportation.

LOL it's New England. Yes you need a plan but that may not involve more than something to tote water and something to boil it. Seriously, does anyone here live more than 5 or 10 minutes from fresh water?

Live in metropolitan So Cal? Wow, ya better have both a plan and a means to keep what ya got.

We have a well and a generator plus a large selection of DCR reservoirs and waterways to raid. I also have portable filtration units from General Ecology, one of which I have used on a hike through the AT 100 mile wilderness and on a couple ~130 mile treks out in an arid region where you had to filter mud and donkey piss to get water some days.

I must caution everyone who has MSR, Katahdin, and Life Straw etc. units. I have seen every one of those fail after several days of heavy use with very good water and also fail in 2 or less days with bad water. I'm sure they are ok for a person or two for a few days with decent water. For more volume and/or garbage water you MUST have something bigger with the ability to backwash or multiple replacement filter elements.

Have year round flowing water on three sides of my property and the capacity to thoroughly filter and boil all that I need.

Have a clean two inch in/out engine driven pump with 25 foot suction hose and strainer.
Have several clean 325gal IBC totes I can fill and a 1500gal water tank.

Water is important but the least of my concerns here.

For everyone with portable ceramic type purifiers, be sure you know the cleaning / backwashing procedure in advance. Backwashing usually requires pre-purified water, so keep some on hand for when your unit clogs.

Also read the capacity statement carefully. That bazillion gallon capacity often drops to maybe 2-digit capacity when the water source is nasty.

Off my soapbox now... [laugh]

My only source within walking distance is the Merrimac River - ick. Is there a filter in existence that could possibly make that safe?? Any experts out there know the answer?

My only source within walking distance is the Merrimac River - ick. Is there a filter in existence that could possibly make that safe?? Any experts out there know the answer?
The Merrimac river is used for municipal water in lots of towns, Manchester, Lowell, Lawrence and Methuen to name a few.

LOL it's New England. Yes you need a plan but that may not involve more than something to tote water and something to boil it. Seriously, does anyone here live more than 5 or 10 minutes from fresh water?

In most of New England, if you poke a stick in the ground, it'll spout a leak. Exaggeration for dramatic effect.

There's no shortage of available water here. You might have to filter it or convert it from solid to liquid form, though.

Back
Top Bottom