• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What are YOU spending YOUR hard earned dollars on to prep for the inevitable eventual collapse of the U.S. Dollar?

I was able to purchase silver in the mid 2010s, 5 1-oz coins for $100.

Silver is now somewhere north of $40 an ounce at most of the sites I have looked at.

I was able to purchase silver in the mid 2010s, 5 1-oz coins for $100.

Silver is now somewhere north of $40 an ounce at most of the sites I have looked at.

That's the current price of an American Eagle one ounce coin. That's what you and I would need to pay.

If you're selling to the dealer you'd find they won't pay anywhere near that.

That's the current price of an American Eagle one ounce coin. That's what you and I would need to pay.

If you're selling to the dealer you'd find they won't pay anywhere near that.
And therein lies the "gotcha" of investing in silver. The transaction cost needs to be factored in or you are just kidding yourself on cost and appreciation.

And therein lies the "gotcha" of investing in silver. The transaction cost needs to be factored in or you are just kidding yourself on cost and appreciation.
The “dollars” (Federal Reserve Notes) you’re buying it with are worth significantly less now. The value of the silver has never changed in real terms. An actual dollar, as defined by the Uniform Coinage Act of 1792 is 371.25 grains of silver. Appreciation never factors into my decision to stack silver.

I have a question for those that stack their freezers, do you have a set rotation to use items, very often we end up with freezer burnt items. I can't imagine loading it up and not using it.
What is a normal life span for frozen meats?
I shrink wrap all my stuff and date it. 2 years easy. 16834047607944928435416671089826.jpg 16834048301698684033854791352981.jpg

Well, it kinda depends. By transaction costs I presume you're talking about the markup over spot price.

I bought some American Eagles years ago. Price over markup then was $2.99/coin over spot.

Now I could sell them for $7 or more over spot. So, depending on your original cost over spot, this can make you money.

But I digress.

Well, it kinda depends. By transaction costs I presume you're talking about the markup over spot price.

I bought some American Eagles years ago. Price over markup then was $2.99/coin over spot.

Now I could sell them for $7 or more over spot. So, depending on your original cost over spot, this can make you money.

But I digress.
Have you priced American Eagles lately? This year? Real ones? Holy Geesus!!! :oops:

They start at about $45.00 each today plus tax and shipping from reputable sources. About $20 over spot. Not a very good deal in my book. 👎

And if I have to sell it for something actually spendable, what would I get for it? Tell you what... you tell me. ;)

The value of the silver has never changed in real terms.
In 1962 I was making $1.50 an hour and was paid in silver redeemable dollars. I could go to the bank and get 6 90% silver quarters for my paper dollars. Today, a 90% silver quarter is worth $4.25. That times 6 is $25.50 an hour.
And if I have to sell it for something actually spendable, what would I get for it? Tell you what... you tell me. ;)
I've been constantly buying sterling silver and pre 65 US silver coin. I pay at weight x quality (.925 or .90) x silver spot. Since I have been doing this since silver was around $5.00 an ounce, the current price does not worry me at all. I can take anything I have and get US dollars for it at the above calculation. I also have quite a few eagles that I paid for at just a couple bucks over the silver value. I traded 10 100 oz 999 bars in for eagles and paid the small (at the time) premium. I will get all my premium plus back when I sell.

You sit on the sidelines and just watch what is happening without putting your foot in the water and you will be b*tching about the price of premiums and spot for the next few years. I have been quoted as saying, you will see $30.00 an ounce silver before you see $17.00 an ounce silver. I was wrong, it hit $17.00 an ounce not too long ago and I bought a bunch. That $17.00 lasted one day and we are at $25.00 today. It does not matter what the price is, you have to own it or just watch.

You sit on the sidelines and just watch what is happening without putting your foot in the water and you will be b*tching about the price of premiums and spot for the next few years. I have been quoted as saying, you will see $30.00 an ounce silver before you see $17.00 an ounce silver. I was wrong, it hit $17.00 an ounce not too long ago and I bought a bunch. That $17.00 lasted one day and we are at $25.00 today. It does not matter what the price is, you have to own it or just watch.
Methinks you are making my main point for me. Silver goes up and down like any other speculative commodity. And like you (I assume), I prefer to buy low and sell high vs. buying high and selling low. I was willing to buy at $20.00. Now at around $25.00? No thanks. I can wait for it to come back down again... and it will. But beyond that, the premium over spot on current American Eagles has gone bonkers and I have no interest in paying such crazy premiums to hold silver in that form. I can wait. Nothing in my world demands or even suggests that I need to buy American Eagles at current prices.

Like you, some of the silver coins I've bought in the past are worth more than I paid for them and others not so much. Take out the cost of procuring and the cost of selling and I'm probably not much better than even. There have always been better investments... and worse.

But that's not why I hold physical silver. It is not to make money. It's not to pay this month's bills. It's a "what happens when the government Ponzi scheme collapses" kind of thing. To quote Google: "Silver's real value is as a hedge and safe haven asset and the primary reason to own silver is not about wealth accumulation but about wealth protection and hedging risk in an uncertain world."

I agree with that. [thumbsup]

Methinks you are making my main point for me. Silver goes up and down like any other speculative commodity. And like you (I assume), I prefer to buy low and sell high vs. buying high and selling low. I was willing to buy at $20.00. Now at around $25.00? No thanks. I can wait for it to come back down again... and it will. But beyond that, the premium over spot on current American Eagles has gone bonkers and I have no interest in paying such crazy premiums to hold silver in that form. I can wait. Nothing in my world demands or even suggests that I need to buy American Eagles at current prices.

Like you, some of the silver coins I've bought in the past are worth more than I paid for them and others not so much. Take out the cost of procuring and the cost of selling and I'm probably not much better than even. There have always been better investments... and worse.

But that's not why I hold physical silver. It is not to make money. It's not to pay this month's bills. It's a "what happens when the government Ponzi scheme collapses" kind of thing. To quote Google: "Silver's real value is as a hedge and safe haven asset and the primary reason to own silver is not about wealth accumulation but about wealth protection and hedging risk in an uncertain world."

I agree with that. [thumbsup]
Your spot (forgive the pun) on with your last paragraph. We hold it not out of sentiment but as a store of wealth. When SHTF happens, we will still have a means of exchange other than barter.

I think people sometimes conflate the “value of silver”, which never changes, with the numismatic value of the coins they possess. For example, a Morgan Dollar and a Silver Eagle have the same bullion value but the Morgan has numismatic, or collector value.

My inlays came out cloudy, think I mixed the epoxy too fast and got a lot of air in them. Otherwise I’m pretty happy
Do you need a LTC to possess that clock or will an FID suffice?

(Nice job, the above s#it post just popped into my head, had to share)

I am divesting myself of items which would be of little use in an uncertain future, hopefully bringing in some cash.

Next I am obtaining items which would be useful in an uncertain future.

I am divesting myself of items which would be of little use in an uncertain future, hopefully bringing in some cash.

Next I am obtaining items which would be useful in an uncertain future.
That certainly sounds like the prudent approach to an uncertain future. For me anyway, the bitch of it is in the details.

I've recently sold off a bunch of things I no longer needed, but that resulted in paper cash. If/when the big crash comes, that paper will be useless except for maybe burning to keep warm.

Yes, I can still convert that paper for now into silver &/or gold. Is that the best answer? PM prices are still very high, so I could end up losing a lot if things ever start to normalize again. Banks? Not sure I trust them anymore. I'm sure I'd lose everything in banks or brokerage in the coming big crash.

Guns & ammo I've got. No need for more. Food? I guess there is never really enough. But beyond that, what makes sense to buy right now for the coming big crash is not all that clear. I think it has to be something worth trading. Booze? Cigarettes? Gasoline? Diesel? Toilet paper? 🤔

Stocking up on toilet paper. Remember the first week of the corona virus "pandemic"? Yeah everybody freaked out because of a virus that didn't give you the shits.

Stocking up on toilet paper. Remember the first week of the corona virus "pandemic"? Yeah everybody freaked out because of a virus that didn't give you the shits.
When the big collapse comes, how much silver or gold do you think I can get for one large roll of T-paper? 🤔

Trying to get together enough meds for me and the kids. It’s kinda hard to ask the doc for a laundry list of antibiotics and viral meds for prepping😂😂

Whats the use of having thousands of rounds and food to the rafters if you die of a common infection. So I’m getting my poop in a group with Meds
Check out JASE medical. I ordered one of their sets, 250 bucks but at least one full course of all common oral antibiotics. I already have zofran, but I 100% recommended adding that on. ELIMINATES nausea with no discernible side effects.

I'm fairly well prepared for a short to medium term (several months) disaster, but I'm moving next year (more on that later) so I'm focusing on some of the bases I haven't covered, as long as they're relatively portable. These are things that I think will probably be impossible to find in any kind of civil unrest scenario, and will only get more expensive as time goes on:
  • Ammo, mags, parts: sending these to a free-state address in anticipation of my move. I buy ~200 a month in ammo.
  • Optics: just bought a fairly high-spec Gen III WP PVS-14, getting NV compatible optics and mounts for my primary long-guns
  • Gear: I have basic gear, but I'm slowly accumulating better stuff, and I need a helmet and mount for my new NOD
  • Gardening: not portable, but good experience and (eventually) fresh veggies and grains! I enlarged my garden this year, using experience from my raised beds last year. I now also have more yard and gardening tools, including a wheelbarrow
  • Getting ready for "strategic relocation" back down south next summer when my GF is done with grad school. We want to be closer to family, and I have a helluva good friend group for SHTF back home (two doctors, an ex-marine ER nurse, my mom is a retired NP and two current police officers, one with EMT experience). She has a chronic disease, so having all the medical help is going to be great.
  • Investing in skills. I have done some work with microcontrollers in the past, but going back and doing some projects to re-learn this. I want this to be a side hustle. I also bought a small GTAW welder and am learning that again, I took some training way back but I really need to start learning from scratch. Another useful skill and possible side-hustle.

To add to that, we recently bought a house that needed some work...I could have put some of it off, but wanted to pay for parts and labor at today's less-inflationey prices. So I got my house painted, water heater installed and new central AC/Heat pump. These things will last for years and with higher places from expensive commodities and inflation I think it makes sense to get as much as possible of that sort of thing done NOW. Also thinking of replacing some appliances now, some are getting a little long in the tooth.

Check out JASE medical. I ordered one of their sets, 250 bucks but at least one full course of all common oral antibiotics. I already have zofran, but I 100% recommended adding that on. ELIMINATES nausea with no discernible side effects.

I'm fairly well prepared for a short to medium term (several months) disaster, but I'm moving next year (more on that later) so I'm focusing on some of the bases I haven't covered, as long as they're relatively portable. These are things that I think will probably be impossible to find in any kind of civil unrest scenario, and will only get more expensive as time goes on:
  • Ammo, mags, parts: sending these to a free-state address in anticipation of my move. I buy ~200 a month in ammo.
  • Optics: just bought a fairly high-spec Gen III WP PVS-14, getting NV compatible optics and mounts for my primary long-guns
  • Gear: I have basic gear, but I'm slowly accumulating better stuff, and I need a helmet and mount for my new NOD
  • Gardening: not portable, but good experience and (eventually) fresh veggies and grains! I enlarged my garden this year, using experience from my raised beds last year. I now also have more yard and gardening tools, including a wheelbarrow
  • Getting ready for "strategic relocation" back down south next summer when my GF is done with grad school. We want to be closer to family, and I have a helluva good friend group for SHTF back home (two doctors, an ex-marine ER nurse, my mom is a retired NP and two current police officers, one with EMT experience). She has a chronic disease, so having all the medical help is going to be great.
  • Investing in skills. I have done some work with microcontrollers in the past, but going back and doing some projects to re-learn this. I want this to be a side hustle. I also bought a small GTAW welder and am learning that again, I took some training way back but I really need to start learning from scratch. Another useful skill and possible side-hustle.
Yes. I have since found Jace medical👍🏻

I’ve been tweaking my mountaineering gear to double as apocalypse gear in case I need to move on my feet.

Various foodstuffs.

Lots of 9mm …ammo is heavy… if I have to start running from gangs of cannibals I won’t be carrying all of it.

It’s gonna suck on the other side of the collapse. Circle the wagons is a solid approach but I have no wagons to circle.

Back
Top Bottom