We need this Billboard

NES Member
possum_s.jpg

SiameseRat said:
OK that's a cool idea, but is it just me or is that lady packing a Luger?!

Nope, it's not just you, SR. My first thought was "why is she packing a 60 year old gun for self-defense?"

and it says something about us that our first thoughts looking at that were "Is that a Luger in her hands?", too.

Ross

hehehe...I *LIKE* it....Luger or not. First thing I noticed before the Luger was that the finger was off the trigger. Nice touch. :D

dwarven1 said:
SiameseRat said:
OK that's a cool idea, but is it just me or is that lady packing a Luger?!

Nope, it's not just you, SR. My first thought was "why is she packing a 60 year old gun for self-defense?"

and it says something about us that our first thoughts looking at that were "Is that a Luger in her hands?", too.

Ross

I don't know Ross, what does it say?
Does it say that we have astoundingly keen sensibilities, or does it say we're gun nuts that know that Lugers were problematic, are totally outdated and though highly collectihble would be among our last choices for self defense? [wink]

I think the main point SR is that women who aren't gun owners will think about what it says, and that it's a woman holding a gun/shotgun. It's not aimed (no pun intended) at folks who know firearms and believe in self defense. :D Besides, most anti's don't know a Luger from a Ruger.

I know someone whose concealed carry firearm is an antique semi-auto.

He has carried it for over 16 years.

He has never fired it.

Not even once.

No idea whether it will go bang.

None at all.

Scary!

I've got a friend in CT that bought a Browning Buckmark in 1965. About 3 years ago, he brought it up to Ripton with him. He said he fired it more that weekend, than since he bought it.

Cross-X Sounds like a lot of police officers. With the exception of department qualifying, most never leave the holster. Heard my share of stories about magazines and ammo rusted solid in the gun, and in older days, not being able to operate the latch on the break action revolvers.

Good aquaintance of mine has two daughters. Had a farmer's porch added to his house recently so that when the daughters start dating, he can set up his gun cleaning stuff on the porch for all the potential suiters to see. Yes, i've heard the joke, but this is 100% true. And yes, I've already told him that it wan't a real good idea.

"The AK-47 makes a unique sound when it is fired at you..."

Cross-X said:
I know someone whose concealed carry firearm is an antique semi-auto.

He has carried it for over 16 years.

He has never fired it.

Not even once.

No idea whether it will go bang.

None at all.

Scary!

I have to take exception to your first line.

I have carried a Colt 1911 that was US Military issue.

In WWI.

The serial number dates it to 1917. Older than my grandmother.

"Antique" does not equal "non-functional".

(The rest of the post I'll agree with. I cannot imagine carrying a weapon that I had never fired, much less that I wasn't sure was functional...)

There's a guy out here that works on old pocket watches and the like. He carries this old four barrel pistol. I think that it's in .22 or such and it's got this rotating firing pin. It's pretty sweet, but I don't remember what it is, but he never leaves home without it.

Jay,

It is alarming to me that someone would entrust his life to a gun he has never fired, and, given that a gun is a mechanical device, sooner or later it may break.

There is, of course, the question of where it will hit, even if it does fire,and, will it fire more than once....

The whole situation is unbelieveable to me.

Darius, I've people do some really DUMB things.

My son has both of us beat, though.

While in Iraq, he asked a couple of younger troops (James is a SGT E-5) when the last time they'd test fired their M16's. They said they didn't remember. Now, they're in a combat zone, with people around that WANT to KILL them, and they don't know if their rifle works or is zeroed?

Wow! In a hot zone with a rifles they have never fired. One would think the young troops would at least be a little curious about where the gun might hit? Then again, I guess all rifles used on Nintendo are already sighted in.

Cross-X said:
Jay,

It is alarming to me that someone would entrust his life to a gun he has never fired, and, given that a gun is a mechanical device, sooner or later it may break.

There is, of course, the question of where it will hit, even if it does fire,and, will it fire more than once....

The whole situation is unbelieveable to me.

I could not agree more strongly with this.

(I just had to be the contrarian about the "antique semi-auto". Just being a PITA...) [twisted]

I had it on rather good authority that there are "armed" troops that aren't actually loaded... Ofcourse that's more often stateside than not, but perhaps they haven't fired their guns because they don't have ammo to spare.

PITA from time to time is OK by me.

When I was in the Air Force in the eighties a young military police officer was disciplined for flooding his M-16 barrel with lube. When questioned, he said he did it "so the bullet would travel faster."

Oh, there was no lack of ammo in THAT location. Camp Scania, IIRC. About 60 miles Southwest of Baghdad.

They were doing gate security. Definitely a fair amount of ammo on hand.

They don't go around with empty guns there. Empty chambers, maybe, but there'll generally be a full mag in the gun. Just rack it, take the safety off, and you're ready to go.

IIRC, yes. Don't hold me to it. One, I've never tried it. Second, my current assigned weapon is an M9 (pistol). I do have an AR clone, though, and still have never tried it. Of course, I always rely on the "Primary" safety, the operator.

Why?

Back
Top Bottom