We need this Billboard

Cross-X said:
PITA from time to time is OK by me.

What's a little snark amongst friends, right? :)

I've gotten into arguments with folks over practicing with a firearm. It usually arises in the revolver vs. semi-auto or shotgun vs. semi-auto rifle for home defense questions. Whenever I see someone recommend a revolver because "you can toss it in a drawer and take it out 20 years later and it'll work just fine", I shudder.

My opinion is that if you are not serious about practicing with your home defense firearm, then do not depend on a firearm for home defense. IOW, don't just buy a gun and ammo, and toss it in the back of a closet and forget about it. Take it out to the range and use it. A lot.

When I was in the Air Force in the eighties a young military police officer was disciplined for flooding his M-16 barrel with lube. When questioned, he said he did it "so the bullet would travel faster."

{shaking head}

But then again, what do you expect from people whose only exposure to firearms comes from Hollyweird?

This is the land that routinely shows snubnosed revolvers making 100 yard shots; small arms fire sending armored vehicles flying through the air; people using sheetrock as effective cover; and firearms fired inches from one's face with no safety gear, just to name a few H-wood gun myths...

My son-in-law's father bought a SIG a few years back. Never fired it. Son borrows it, we go shooting, gun mals's like crazy. Wasn't even lubed adequately. Needless to say, Chris gave his father quite the lecture on using his pistol some, even offered to take him out.

Now Chris has a pistol. He uses it some (at least once or twice a year), has a small stock of ammo, about 2,000 rounds or so.

SiameseRat said:
I don't know Ross, what does it say?
Does it say that we have astoundingly keen sensibilities, or does it say we're gun nuts that know that Lugers were problematic, are totally outdated and though highly collectihble would be among our last choices for self defense? [wink]

I'd say that it says that we both know that although they were great guns in their time, they're still not as reliable as more modern arms... I'd certainly want Kathy to carry something more reliable than a Luger. Like, say, a Model 19 or *shudder* a Glock if she liked it.

And after she shot it, we could put it in the dishwasher with the rest of the Tupperware. [twisted] (Yes, I know they're reliable - no flames, please! I just don't like them, that's all.)

Ross

Heh, that'd be fun to watch. Just HOW do you get the damn things to not rust after the Simple Green dunk? That stuff works, but DAMN does it make steel rust after. It'd HAVE to affect even a Glock.

Touchy, aren't we, Darius?

I may bring out my 66 to give Phil a little competition in the SSR division once I get comfortable with it, though.

Ross

Nickle said:
Just HOW do you get the damn things to not rust after the Simple Green dunk? That stuff works, but DAMN does it make steel rust after.

I use Simple Green on my R65. Since the motor, wheels and tranny housing are all cast aluminum, I don't worry too much about rust... [twisted]

Ross

Touchy? NO, never! :D

The full Simple Green cleaning regimen goes something like this:

1. Mix up the S.G. solution, preferably using hot water.

2. Dunk the frame and scrub with a toothbrush.

3. Dunk the barrel and scrub with a toothbrush and bore brush.

4. Dry thoroughly, either with a hair dryer, heat gun on low, or what have you.

5. If you want, use conventional cleaning fluids to be sure the bore is completely clean.

6. Lubricate all appropriate parts with your favorite lube.

7. Reassemble and dry fire to test.

If you want to clean the slide this way, detail strip before dunking and scrubbing, and make doubly sure to completely dry all parts before reassembly.

I used to use it to clean the bugs off my '87 K100RS. And I've used it to clean M1 motors (yes the motors for an M1 tank that cost $500K). I still don't relish the though of using it to clean a gun without an oil bath after.

Ross, you know that I do actually have a soft spot for old revolvers. You'll have to try the 2 I have (the NEWER one was made in 1938). I'm seriously thinking of getting my father's K38 as well.

Nickle said:
Hey Darius, I never to do much to the Glock. Brush and clean the bore, remove the slide and brush out the loose residue, that's all.

Do you ever do a detail strip?

I did a detail strip on a client's gun and boy was it full of gunk!

After I reassembled it, the action was like that of a different gun. What a difference a little thorough cleaning makes!

Agreed!!! My mid-70's vintage S&W Model 10 .38 shoots better today than just about anything on the market and dispite having fixed iron sights, is dead on accurate.

(is it just me, or is the finish quality on the older guns just far superior as well?)

Chris said:
Agreed!!! My mid-70's vintage S&W Model 10 .38 shoots better today than just about anything on the market and dispite having fixed iron sights, is dead on accurate.

(is it just me, or is the finish quality on the older guns just far superior as well?)

I thought you were referring to old guns. Yes, they used to put on a better finish, and I think the older steels took a better looking finish. My Colt looks pretty good, I don't know just when it was reblued, but, I know it's not original.

Cross-X said:
By the way, my newest favorite conventional gun cleaning fluid is M-Pro 7.

It gets out junk even Breakfree CLP won't find.

+1

It cleans so thoroughly that you have to make sure that you use oil or silicone afterwards; otherwise you're certain to get rust. I noticed that it even managed to take off some light rust on an old 1911 I picked up.

The only downside is the lack of any odor. I like to leave a small bottle of Hoppe's open on the table while cleaning, just so that I can really believe that's what I'm doing.

Ken

Cross-X,

Can you engage the safety on a M-16 with the bolt locked back?

Yes, you can. You cannot engage the safety with the bolt closed and the trigger having been pulled but once you pull the bolt back and lock it in the open position the safety will engage.

I know someone whose concealed carry firearm is an antique semi-auto.

He has carried it for over 16 years.

He has never fired it.

Not even once.

No idea whether it will go bang.

None at all.

Scary!

Bloody hell! For all he knows , when he pulls the trigger, a flag my pop out the end with the word "Bang" on it....

This is the land that routinely shows snubnosed revolvers making 100 yard shots; small arms fire sending armored vehicles flying through the air; people using sheetrock as effective cover; and firearms fired inches from one's face with no safety gear, just to name a few H-wood gun myths...

Yet, Dirty Harry shot the car with a 45 caliber that everyone thinks is a 44 magnum. He did it single handly, too. Surely you are understand this must be true as it is part of the fabric of society...[laugh]

It is pretty nice that people think that the 44 mag is the most powerful. I don't have to worry about them taking the SW 500.

Back
Top Bottom