Walmart stops selling most ammo and bans open carry

So, someone shoots up a Walmart and now Walmart wants licensed law abiding citizens to stop carrying in their stores...........ya right.

Oh sorry, I noticed Walmart says "open" carry (on the news).

Last edited:
soooo....making their stores GFZ's is going to make them safer????

a statistical reason to stay away...

While Walmart had some volume buying power, I think that there are many other retailers that will be happy to buy the stuff Walmart won't be carrying. Lets see if the big ammo companies let the little guys profit from loosing a coprorate whale.

They could probably get away with not selling ammo in areas that are not big on guns. Not selling pistols or ammo in Alaska though? Pretty sure nobody in Alaska is going to support that. Woke companies stiffing loyal customers to appease underclass politics of people who always hated Walmart anyway.

69524858_901492266873450_5594263197314973696_n.jpg

Weather or not you like Walmart or buy ammo there, over all this is not a good thing! In Nh wallmart was a convenient source of reasonable priced ammo that wasn't taxed. In the long run this will lead to higher ammo prices and less convenience. Over the weekend kittery trading post was selling AE 9mm for 30 cents a round compared to WM 19cents per. Who knows with out wall mart for a base line maybe online prices will start to rise

I buy my 9mm from Walmart. It’s the cheapest anywhere, including online. Not significantly, but 1 cent a round adds up.

If they stop selling it then a TSUSA prime membership with likely become a profitable investment.

I forgot, I also buy birshot there, which is also usually the cheapest I can find when you factor in shipping. TSUSA needs to up their 12 gauge game.
Well shotgun ammo is not going to be going anywhere and of all the ammo that's not in the locked case at Walmart, it's birdshot ammo, so you're all set with that.

The one potential positive (very slight chance this actually happens, but whatever) from Walmart dumping their handgun ammo is that they'll be able to stock more .22 ammo and maybe a greater variety of shotgun ammo. I don't like having to pay the price that I do for 4 pellet 000 Buck .410 at the LGS or online.

Walmart is going to have to sell a shotload of birdshit to make up for the lost profit on .22LR alone...

Sorry, Shitload of birdshot.
.22 isn't going anywhere, that's the most popular caliber in the US if not the world.

Walmart is trying to keep the Fudd hunters happy by selling .30-06, .308, etc. so if .44 Mag and .22 disappear they're going to lose a lot of money on that decision.

I really can't understand why they would stop selling .38/.357 and .44 Mag, those are hunting calibers that just happen to be able to be fired in handguns. I can't remember the last time a mass shooter used a .44 Mag.

Walmart will feel the loss eventually, just as Gillette did with their virtue signal.
They will and I think over time they'll walk back on this handgun ammo ban. Might be after a few months, might be after a few years. They'll still have a sporting goods area, they'll still be selling rifles, so they'll be set to bring handgun ammo back in the future.

What I wonder is with this opportunity open for a very large national retail store to jump in on the vacuum that Walmart is leaving, who could do it? The largest retail stores on par with Walmart that might be interested would be Dollar General, but they've never had a sporting goods section and I doubt they'd be interested in the social media firestorm.

Lowe's and Home Depot could, but like Dollar General ammo and sporting goods is outside their scope of business. Ace Hardware is a big chain and I've seen basic ammo at Ace's out in the Midwest, but offering the amount of ammo Walmart does would be a big policy change for them nationwide.

So, the final possible option I can think of who I think would actually be interested in doing it, and I'm not joking, is Harbor Freight.

They have over 1000 stores in the US, they sell gun equipment already (ammo cans, gun cases, safes, brass cleaning tumblers, ultrasonic cleaners) and I will bet that a very large portion of their customer base are gun owners.

The only thing is I don't think people would be interested in buying Pittsburgh brand 9mm ammo with a lifetime warranty, so HF would have to break a rule and sell brand name ammo (Winchester, Federal, etc.) after buying from a distributor.

Back
Top Bottom