• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shoots self in leg today?

Hoping the dude is ok.

We go over the basic safety stuff all of the time. people take it for granted.
We go over the accident protocols for calling 911 all the time... "training accident" and not "someone has been shot" people that for granted.

I hope this incident was handled in the best possible way, to get to the best possible outcome for the dude.

If your finger is on the trigger while holstering, you done f@ck#d up
Open gun or production gun,
race holster or level 3 duty holster, none of that matters if your finger is on the trigger when it shouldn't be

I have seen this happen at a non-USPSA practice session with a 45.

The shooter was really annoyed several weeks later when he found out he shot himself. Really - can't make this stuff up.

A leg shot can range from an MD running a cleaning brush through the hole to life and limb threatening surgery. I knew one guy (not the above) who shot himself in the leg with a Para 45. Did fine, went to the hospital, cleaned, bandaged and went home. He then sells this gun to a friend who proceeds to shoot himself in the leg right through the femoral artery. Docs were discussing "can we save the leg" when a Lebanese MD said "hey, this is just a bullet hole, I've fixed a lot of those" and managed to save his life and leg.

You will find that these incidents are rarely spoken of, and not cited as "Safety warning examples" but as "unmentionables".

Shooting, just like race car driving, parachuting and contact sports carries a degree of danger that cannot ever be 100.00% eliminated. But, nobody talks about shutting down NASCAR if a driver is killed, or even if a car flew into the stands and killed a spectator.
To be fair... there isn't a subset of onlookers waiting for someone to shoot themselves like there are with nascar crashes

I have been to a lot of matches, everyone I meet is pretty nice, only met 2 or 3 guys that were d*cks in the past 3 years.
F’off. I’ve met you. Lol

Several years ago my buddy brought a friend/co worker to a match. I bailed out.

But his buddy shot himself in the leg holstering after “load and make ready”. I have the surgery pic.

Apparently, he did not know how to decock (beretta .40). He’s gay now. As an aside.

F’off. I’ve met you. Lol

Several years ago my buddy brought a friend/co worker to a match. I bailed out.

But his buddy shot himself in the leg holstering after “load and make ready”. I have the surgery pic.

Apparently, he did not know how to decock (beretta .40). He’s gay now. As an aside.

Why you holding back?

It's for science! And to help remind people to look the gun into the holster, slowly.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

I can see for a police officer who needs to go hands on that he needs to keep eyes on the perp and holster quickly. But for most of us, there is no prize for winning the holstering race.
I am not aware of any competitive shooting organization that includes holstering while the timer running as part of the scoring. Procedure varies with the gun - with a Glock I look the gun in to make sure nothing gets in the trigger guard; with the 1911oid and a race holster I put my thumb under the safety and push up.

I'm the match director for my clubs Steel Challenge matches accidentall discharges are the biggest worry in the back of your mind a bad mishap could close a club for good. We're fortunate to have great ROs my son Shawn , Mike Spangler, Knob Creek, Manny & Doug do a good job at keeping shooters booger hooks out of the trigger guard before the beep. Some shooters get caught up in the moment and gotta be reeled in

Hoping the dude is ok.

We go over the basic safety stuff all of the time. people take it for granted.
We go over the accident protocols for calling 911 all the time... "training accident" and not "someone has been shot" people that for granted.

I hope this incident was handled in the best possible way, to get to the best possible outcome for the dude.

If your finger is on the trigger while holstering, you done f@ck#d up
Open gun or production gun,
race holster or level 3 duty holster, none of that matters if your finger is on the trigger when it shouldn't be

Catching your shirt in the trigger guard as you holster will do you in too.

Back
Top Bottom