• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shoots self in leg today?

PatMcD

NES Member
Was anybody here at the USPSA match at Sanford/Springdale range in Maine today? I heard something about a guy shooting himself in the leg as he was holstering his pistol. Went in the thigh and came out his foot.
I hope he's ok. That sounds like a lot of damage.

Was anybody here at the USPSA match at Sanford/Springdale range in Maine today? I heard something about a guy shooting himself in the leg as he was holstering his pistol. Went in the thigh and came out his foot.
As he was holstering?

Damn, must have been when he was getting ready to start the stage.

I wasn't there.

I have seen this happen at a non-USPSA practice session with a 45.

The shooter was really annoyed several weeks later when he found out he shot himself. Really - can't make this stuff up.

A leg shot can range from an MD running a cleaning brush through the hole to life and limb threatening surgery. I knew one guy (not the above) who shot himself in the leg with a Para 45. Did fine, went to the hospital, cleaned, bandaged and went home. He then sells this gun to a friend who proceeds to shoot himself in the leg right through the femoral artery. Docs were discussing "can we save the leg" when a Lebanese MD said "hey, this is just a bullet hole, I've fixed a lot of those" and managed to save his life and leg.

You will find that these incidents are rarely spoken of, and not cited as "Safety warning examples" but as "unmentionables".

Shooting, just like race car driving, parachuting and contact sports carries a degree of danger that cannot ever be 100.00% eliminated. But, nobody talks about shutting down NASCAR if a driver is killed, or even if a car flew into the stands and killed a spectator.

Last edited:
Ohh shit. I almost shot this match today but didn’t. I’ll have to text my buddy who was there

I have seen this happen at a non-USPSA practice session with a 45.

The shooter was really annoyed several weeks later when he found out he shot himself. Really - can't make this stuff up.
I find this hard to believe. If he shot himself anywhere with a .45, it would have immediately incapacitated him, the RSO, and anyone standing within 25'.

I find this hard to believe. If he shot himself anywhere with a .45, it would have immediately incapacitated him, the RSO, and anyone standing within 25'.
I shit you not. He thought the hole in his pants and cut in the leg was made by his keys when he hit the floor.

Or, and the club president at the time said "That story is so ridiculous and unbelievable it has to be true".

So at muzzle velocity you'd rather be hit with a 45 than a 9mm? Assuming these are round nose plated, jacketed, or cast- I sure as hell would rather have a 9mm ventilation hole than a .45 caliber hole.

I hope they’re okay. I assume shooting yourself is a DQ?? Only ask because (according to the match results on PS) one person DQ’d at the match today so I’m going to assume he was the person who ND into their leg.
Yikes
LOL ... yes, it is a DQ. Same as shooting right next to your foot.

Although if anyone wants to finish with a shot through the leg, I would admire that and let them.

That is a massive bullet travel path over a small cross-section of your body; that sounds incredibly painful and I hope for a measured recovery without any complications for the victim.

I'm hoping for the best too, but I can't imagine there will be 100% recovery with no lasting effects (if the bullet really "Went in the thigh and came out his foot")... I suppose the "victim" is also the perpetrator.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

Was with an Open gun too. That 9mm major or 38 super comp ammo is loaded HOT.
As if it really matters of course.

Hopefully he will be okay
Anyone shooting 38 sup comp is probably using a nice speed holster, kinda hard to shoot yourself in the leg with those (but not impossible).

If it is one of those 2 calibers, my guess is 9mm major.

I wonder if it is the same guy I met at the Harvard SC, dude was shooting 9mm major and was a total d*ck. Him and his Asian boyfriend wearing flip flops and being a DB to everyone with his sh*t .22 that kept jamming.

Anyone shooting 38 sup comp is probably using a nice speed holster, kinda hard to shoot yourself in the leg with those (but not impossible).

If it is one of those 2 calibers, my guess is 9mm major.

I wonder if it is the same guy I met at the Harvard SC, dude was shooting 9mm major and was a total d*ck. Him and his Asian boyfriend wearing flip flops and being a DB to everyone with his sh*t .22 that kept jamming.
Most if not all of the open shooters I know are using race/speed holsters which cover the trigger guard - regardless if it’s 9mm or 38SC
Given we know who the gunmaker is, they offer their open guns in 9mm and 38SC.

It’s not the guy you’re referring to from Harvard SC.

I’ll hold off on disclosing any more info publicly as there is more known.

Most if not all of the open shooters I know are using race/speed holsters which cover the trigger guard - regardless if it’s 9mm or 38SC

It’s not the guy you’re referring to from Harvard SC.

I’ll hold off on disclosing any more info publicly as there is more known.
And those speed holsters are usually a couple of inches off the body, if not more.

S*cks for the guy. I would like to know what he was using.

And those speed holsters are usually a couple of inches off the body, if not more.
They are, but it depends upon how the belt rides on the body. My non-race holster on a Boss hanger actually points slightly in towards my leg, rather than straight down. Yes, I need to figure out how to fix that.

When I holster during a class, I go into slow motion mode.

I actually look at the holster to make sure it's not obstructed and keep my finger indexed at a safe place on the frame as I put it in.

There is never a need to quickly holster a gun.

I also holster while keeping the muzzle angled away from my body.

Hope the guy was ok!

Back
Top Bottom