• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shoots self in leg today?

Ben Stoeger...search his social media on whichever platform you choose.

Thanks.

I know who he is. Just wondering where to search for the content you're talking about. I can't imagine he posts the same stuff on pistol-forum as he does some other places.

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

LOL ... yes, it is a DQ. Same as shooting right next to your foot.

Although if anyone wants to finish with a shot through the leg, I would admire that and let them.
Not a good idea,, they need an ambulance and maybe a tourniquet. You can't tell by externally looking if it's just a flesh would (as they say in the movies) or if there is arterial, neurological or ortho damage. Doing anything but stabilizing the shootee, tourniquiting the limb, and getting an ambulance increases the risk for further damage or death.

Forgot to mention - get a sharpie and write the tourniquit application time on an obvious location on the patient like near the wound or forheat.

At the shoot I mentioned above, there were some legit first responders. By the time the meat wagon pulled up he was fully prepped and stable.

But it was really a flesh wound. Nothing serious

But he needs a zipper tattoo for the wound.

Not a good idea,, they need an ambulance and maybe a tourniquet. You can't tell by externally looking if it's just a flesh would (as they say in the movies) or if there is arterial, neurological or ortho damage. Doing anything but stabilizing the shootee, tourniquiting the limb, and getting an ambulance increases the risk for further damage or death.

Forgot to mention - get a sharpie and write the tourniquit application time on an obvious location on the patient like near the wound or forheat.
Pack some dirt in the wound.

I've seen multiple leg gun shot wounds. Some obviously superficial. Some unknown in the field. If it entered in the thigh and exited the foot it should be assumed that it may have stuck an artery. I forget the exact volume but iirc the upper leg can hold 1-2 liters of blood. Tourniquits are taught to be applied liberally now. Commercial tournaquits are wider and cause less tissue damage than previously thought. That being said unless it's a mass casualty incident I think you can hold off on the sharpie markers to the face. Some of our shootings wake us up before the tones fo off 🤠

And maybe a quick spray of Bactine.

Mercurochrome

I also remember some can of “freeze spray.” It temporarily made road rash bearable.

This was in the late 80’s. I swear the bottle of mercurochrome was from the 50’s.

There is no cover garment for USPSA. But for IDPA most just use a ghey fishing vest. Some use a coat or shirt too

As with many sports, it morphed from a method to practice using your defensive firearm and testing out your load-out to an arms-race of sorts. And not just the major/minor stuff that IDPA has dealt with over the last 25+ years. The gear revolution. The gun mods. Plus the outfit modifications.

"I'm going to wear this ultra-light Hawaiian shirt with two quarters sewn into the bottom of the placket and a magnetized break-away side seam to allow me better access to my gun."

"Do you wear that in public?"

"WTF? And look like a tool? No!"

[rofl]

Ben Stoeger...search his social media on whichever platform you choose.

I've been reading and listening to stuff I found. I haven't shot any action pistol competitions recently, but this is really a very sad state of affairs (certainly enough to justify its own thread... even though some of those involved also seem to have "shot themselves in the foot").

kingfisher_cropped_101x78.jpg

I'd like to give it a try some day but would probably just use my Carhartt shirtjac thing I actually wear.
For any sport you will be drawing a gun and have to reload on the move, dress comfortable.

What you don't want, and I have seen, are jackets that need to move to the side to draw or holster.

Wear a jacket if it is cold while you are waiting, but take it off for shooting.

USPSA is a lot of fun, specially if you only have 10 round mags, you need to plan your stage and when to reload.

For any sport you will be drawing a gun and have to reload on the move, dress comfortable.

What you don't want, and I have seen, are jackets that need to move to the side to draw or holster.

Wear a jacket if it is cold while you are waiting, but take it off for shooting.
I thought the point was the practice real world concealed carry? What concealing shirt doesn't need to be moved?

I thought the point was the practice real world concealed carry? What concealing shirt doesn't need to be moved?
USPSA? ... NO.

However, I have seen guys that shoot IDPA and want to try USPSA show up with IWB holsters. They usually move slower through the stages and draw slower, but they always have a good time.

IDPA - based on practical defensive shooting - maybe not so much any more - but that's a horse that's being beaten daily on multiple sites. Cover garment required, positions of cover required, "tactical priority" of targets, no moving into open with empty gun, etc.

USPSA - enter the shooting area and engage all targets.

I think that IDPA encourages/rewards accuracy over speed, while USPSA encourages/rewards speed over accuracy - where both elements are important in both games.

In the end, they're both games. I use the same belt, holster, mag pouches and gun for both, (and for Steel Challenge), so that my muscle memories are identical regardless of game. That allows me to focus on the course of fire. Clearing a garment to draw in IDPA is a little slower than not having one in USPSA, but it's not a game changer.

The big game changer is magazine loads. I shoot Carry Optic most frequently. In IDPA, I'm limited to 10 plus 1, with a max stage required count of 18. In USPSA I carry mags with 22 rounds in them, and might use 30 or so on a long stage. In states where mag load is restricted, I've got to run 10 plus 1 in USPSA, and it changes the strategy for shooting a stage.

As with many sports, it morphed from a method to practice using your defensive firearm and testing out your load-out to an arms-race of sorts. And not just the major/minor stuff that IDPA has dealt with over the last 25+ years. The gear revolution. The gun mods. Plus the outfit modifications.

"I'm going to wear this ultra-light Hawaiian shirt with two quarters sewn into the bottom of the placket and a magnetized break-away side seam to allow me better access to my gun."

[rofl]
It’s a game not real life training lol. As is USPSA.

It’s a game not real life training lol. As is USPSA.
Of course you can shoot both games with your typical clothing and carry gun set up (IWB holster) etc.
But myself and many others are “gamers” so lol. I don’t carry my CZ SP-01 shadow in a OWB holster off the range lol

[rofl]
Only if you want to compete.

Plenty of guys show up with their every day gun and every day holster and don't care about placing first or classifiers.

You can definitely use it as a way to practice if that is what you want to get out of it.

Last edited:
Only if you want to compete.

Plenty of guys show up with their every day gun and every day holster and don't care about placing first or qualifiers.

You can definitely use it as a way to practice if that is what you want to get out of it.
Classifiers*

But yeah. I’m shooting an IDPA match on Saturday and I finally was able to convince my “operator” friend to come to his first ever match. He will be using his typical gear and not use a fishing vest etc 😂
I told him he’ll have fun as it beats shooting stationary etc.

Classifiers*

But yeah. I’m shooting an IDPA match on Saturday and I finally was able to convince my “operator” friend to come to his first ever match. He will be using his typical gear and not use a fishing vest etc 😂
I told him he’ll have fun as it beats shooting stationary etc.
Yeah, that. LOL.

Competition is firearms physical fitness.

Being able to run a 5 minute mile or bench 300 is not training for one on one CQB, but chances are you will be better at it if you combine these attributes with proper training on physical interpersonal negotiation (just invented the term)

Similarly competition in the action shooting sports can be considered gun handling/shooting skills fitness. It is not training, but that does not mean it is useless as part of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom