• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USPSA shoots self in leg today?

I was always more concerned about shooting myself in the off hand when the buzzer goes off..
That’s why I follow my gun hand when extending my offhand. Keep your offhand on your chest until after you draw..

I’ve never shot myself… But you always have to be carefull, And even then f*** ups happen

I'm the match director for my clubs Steel Challenge matches accidentall discharges are the biggest worry in the back of your mind a bad mishap could close a club for good. We're fortunate to have great ROs my son Shawn , Mike Spangler, Knob Creek, Manny & Doug do a good job at keeping shooters booger hooks out of the trigger guard before the beep. Some shooters get caught up in the moment and gotta be reeled in
I think you meant to say negligent discharge.

I have seen this happen at a non-USPSA practice session with a 45.

The shooter was really annoyed several weeks later when he found out he shot himself. Really - can't make this stuff up.

A leg shot can range from an MD running a cleaning brush through the hole to life and limb threatening surgery. I knew one guy (not the above) who shot himself in the leg with a Para 45. Did fine, went to the hospital, cleaned, bandaged and went home. He then sells this gun to a friend who proceeds to shoot himself in the leg right through the femoral artery. Docs were discussing "can we save the leg" when a Lebanese MD said "hey, this is just a bullet hole, I've fixed a lot of those" and managed to save his life and leg.

You will find that these incidents are rarely spoken of, and not cited as "Safety warning examples" but as "unmentionables".

Shooting, just like race car driving, parachuting and contact sports carries a degree of danger that cannot ever be 100.00% eliminated. But, nobody talks about shutting down NASCAR if a driver is killed, or even if a car flew into the stands and killed a spectator.
I know/knew the first shooter and participated with him often when I first got into IPSC (There were no Divisions at the time and Limited as a second division came along shortly after)
He was back to the hospital a couple of times after the bullet got lodged in his leg and had migrated down to around his ankle before it was finally discovered via X-ray. Lead poisoning was what made him return to the hospital.

For a while the joke around that club was "XXX's doctor put him on a diet. So far he has lost 230 grains"

At this past Saturday's local match, I dug out a gun cover from my range bag that was manufactured by the second pair of gentlemen back in the dark ages. It is silk-screened "IPSC Area 7."

The way I heard it (third-hand) was that he attempted to holster it and "missed", somehow causing the safety to be disengaged. Then he attempted to holster again and "it just went off". Of course we know he more than likely had his finger on the trigger.

And, if it makes any difference, this was a high-dollar unlimited pistol. Alas maybe?

The way I heard it (third-hand) was that he attempted to holster it and "missed", somehow causing the safety to be disengaged. Then he attempted to holster again and "it just went off". Of course we know he more than likely had his finger on the trigger.

And, if it makes any difference, this was a high-dollar unlimited pistol. Alas maybe?
Atlas open gun. Gun doesn’t matter. Keep your finger off the trigger when holstering and drawing. Done.

Atlas open gun. Gun doesn’t matter. Keep your finger off the trigger when holstering and drawing. Done.
That does not solve the issue of stuff caught in the trigger guard.

On a 1911oid, holding the safety up from the bottom with the thumb when holstering adds a measure of safety and is as natural to me as putting my thumb on top when shooting.

On a 1911oid, holding the safety up from the bottom with the thumb when holstering adds a measure of safety and is as natural to me as putting my thumb on top when shooting.
Same. IMO, stuff getting caught in the trigger guard is still negligent. This was USPSA though, so there is no logical reason for anything to be interfering with an OWB race holster.

From what I was told, it was a new Atlas open gun and he did not engage the thumb safety. He just transitioned to open from carry optics where his gun did not have a thumb safety.

Dry fire. Practice. Build muscle memory. Repeat. If you can't do that...go slow enough that you can't f*** up. If you can't do that...do everyone a favor and stay home.

Yep, missed the idpa part. However there are ways to safely holster even with garment. We all know that though. It seems most of garment nds have been t-shirt related in some form or another.

It was USPSA, I was simply responding to your comments about loose garments - because IDPA does require the cover garment. I agree with you that most garment NDs are t-shirt related, and tucking them in takes care of it. It's something I watch for as a SO/RO.

True.
But as Mike said I don’t know why you would have some sort of garment/clothing covering your gun or holster in USPSA

It was USPSA, I was simply responding to your comments about loose garments - because IDPA does require the cover garment. I agree with you that most garment NDs are t-shirt related, and tucking them in takes care of it. It's something I watch for as a SO/RO.
or dipshits shooting IDPA with a loose Hawaiian shirt

What is the preferred cover garment for competition? Serious question.
I know a couple guys using these -very stiff. I’m not spending almost $150 on a fishing vest 😂

I know a couple guys using these -very stiff. I’m not spending almost $150 on a fishing vest 😂
Geeze, that's an ugly-ass vest; people actually wear that in their daily lives?

The picture with the patches on the back makes me want to see some metalheads compete in their "battle jackets"

Back
Top Bottom