• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Used my crossbreed holster for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

je25ff

NES Member
I have never carried concealed before, so I figured I would just take the dog for a walk down the street and give it a try. The holster is so easy and comfortable and even carrying the sig229 I have, with a full magazine, felt more comfortable than I thought.

I didn't chamber a round though. Someone had posted here a while back that they carried concealed but didn't chamber a round. The response was, "that's pretty dumb because the second it takes to chamber one could cost you your life" I guess I'm not comfortable yet to do that. Is that normal or am I just being a pussy?

I have never carried concealed before, so I figured I would just take the dog for a walk down the street and give it a try. The holster is so easy and comfortable and even carrying the sig229 I have, with a full magazine, felt more comfortable than I thought.

I didn't chamber a round though. Someone had posted here a while back that they carried concealed but didn't chamber a round. The response was, "that's pretty dumb because the second it takes to chamber one could cost you your life" I guess I'm not comfortable yet to do that. Is that normal or am I just being a pussy?

You're just being a pussy, but I was the same way. It took me a few months to get comfortable with it. In my opinion, as long as you intend to carry with a round chambered and you realized that it's important to eventually do so, you're on the right path.

You do what it takes to get YOU to the comfort zone of being OK to put one in the pipe. House carry, dog walking, range time. You'll eventually want one in there.
You have a top notch pistol and holster which is a great start.

If you're carrying a 229 and you have it in the holster with the hammer down, there's no reason not to have one in the pipe. You don't even have the excuse of a light trigger pull on, say, a glock.

But, if it gets you moving in the right direction, so be it.

As a newb myself, I understand the apprehension and believe it's justified.
On the flip side, knowing that most incidents requiring use of force happen fast and close, I can see why you don't want to add 'racking the slide' to the process.

Congrats on the CrossBreed! Do what you need to do to feel safe.

EDT: Think about taking some CC and Defensive Handgun courses which include live fire. I very much enjoyed the Defensive Handgun NEShooters class to become more comfortable with proper draw, defensive use, and safety considerations.

Last edited:
I LOVE my Crossbreed. I was the same way at first too and don't let anyone call you a pussy. Not having one chambered is still better than not carrying at all and I wouldn't suggest carrying with one in the chamber until you feel comfortable enough to do so. My wife has always been supportive of my choice to carry but I can tell she still thinks it's a bit weird. Yesterday morning a gas station attendant was held at gunpoint by some ass in a ski mask less than a mile from our home and we live in a nice area! I said to her "it's those rare occasions that make me happy I made the decision to carry."

Being comfortable with carrying comes with a bit of time in my opinion. Before you know it the gun will feel like a natural extension of your body and you will have confidence in carrying in whatever condition you choose. I prefer anyone that chooses to carry be ready if and when it is ever needed, if not what good was carrying in the first place.

Always carry with the chamber empty and a snap cap as the first round in the mag. That way you are extra safe.

Kidding.

I too carry in a Supertuck and enjoy it very much. I too also wore it around the house without a round in the chamber for the first day or so, mainly to get a feel for it and decide where the most comfortable position was.

Repetition builds confidence. Keep carrying as much as possible. Once you are well practiced with the holster and the pistol it will feel as "natural" as carrying your wallet. In fact when I am not carrying a pistol, I feel as I left the house without my watch.
Good luck and stay safe!

When I got my first firearm I did not feel comfortable right away but I did everything around my apartment with the firearm chambered and holstered. After awhile it felt strange not having anything.

No modern firearm in good working order is going to discharge without pulling the trigger. In the words of a famous special needs man in town "Keep your finger out of there until its bang bang time"

Thanks for the responses, guys. Appreciate it. It's definitely just being new to it and getting the feel for it. I want to get the feel of holstering it and taking it out before I chamber a round I think. It's really just a matter of practice and comfort.

Hell, I carried the gun EMPTY and no mag for the first week, just to get used to getting comfortable carrying concealed. It was practice before "really" concealing my carrying back in 1988. I didn't want to risk a ND until I was sure I could carry it without a problem. After that week, it was locked n' cocked since and I've never looked back.

IMO sigs, to me, feel like the safest to carry with a chambered round. After decocked, very unlikely it could AD. Hammer is a good 1/8" away from the firing pin, and its a pretty tough double action pull to make it go bang bang. Good choice in weapon and holster though!

Even if the hammer did slam forward on a 229 (say you banged it against something really really hard at the perfect angle) you have a firing pin block that is going to keep that thing from moving anywhere. If I am ever practicing a draw and presentation at home I am always doing it COMPLETELY UNLOADED unless I am doing so in conjunction with planned live fire (IE at a range).

Mike

Funny, I have a 229 and just ordered my Supertuck earlier this week (first holster, first gun). I drove up to shoot at Bob's today with my dad and we were talking about how we were both apprehensive about carrying with one in the chamber too. You're not off on that at all.

That said, everything I have read and understand about the gun says it's safe, so I think its just a matter of getting comfortable with it. I intend to carry without one in the chamber til I get a little more confident too.

You asked, I will tell you. You are being a pussy.

Let me ask you guys, that are carrying empty guns around until you get "comfortable" enough to load up, a serious (deadly serious) question.

Are you comfortable yet with the possibility of killing another man? Because that is the very likely outcome necessary for you to win the fight of your life.

Do you ever, as you place that handgun in its holster, mentally say to yourself "I am ready to see the fight through to the end, even if it means killing my aggressor"?

Sounds ugly, doesn't it? Well, that's just the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that normal or am I just being a pussy?

Whatever gets you going but I would never carry without a round chambered. I was very apprehensive of carrying my first 1911 cocked and locked so I didn't carry it for a while. That was until I fully understood how the gun operates and realized that the chances of it going off on its own are close to none. A lot of really bad things would have to happen in a particular order for it to go BANG without me pressing the trigger.

Jose,

you mean i can't just "expose" my gun to the BG and he'll run away? [angry2]

You can, but it has to have the chamber empty and two snap caps at the top of the mag so that he can't shoot you with it when he takes it from you.

Do what it takes pal to feel comfortable, but I'd suggest just doing it, when the fecal matter hits the rotary air impeller seconds matter.

I have several supertucks and love them! I always have a round chambered...Put then agian I usually have my LCR revolver. [smile]

Jose,

you mean i can't just "expose" my gun to the BG and he'll run away? [angry2]

Well you can just expose the gun, you need to quote Cline Eastwood at the same time “You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?” [laugh]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom