• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Updated: 6/21 - Winchendon "mini Appleseed" - Homework assignment!

Your interst level (answer only if you live in the area):

• Best idea since sliced bread! Yes, I'll be there!

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I like the idea, but I wouldn't be able to attend regularly.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Best idea since the "Tom Rielly for AG"! (i.e. not on your life!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Latest Update: See post #93

Hi all,

I'm posting this to gauge interest in a "mini Appleseed" shoot at Winchendon Rod and Gun. I've passed this by Dwarven1, Crak, and Nickle and they didn't think I was completely nuts, so here goes:

What I'm thinking is a regular, say weekly or bi-weekly, weeknight gathering at the firing line to do some more intentional training than the usual "go down to the range and shoot" thing. 1-1.5hours working together on rifle marksmanship using the Appleseed format.

If we had a small faithful gathering that we might be able to encourage some of the more experienced shooters to come and "coach" periodically (think itinerant preachers of yesteryear).

I know Crak is running mini shoots at Harvard (June 7th noon to dusk). I don't want this to compete with his shoots, but have it more for folks who can't go to the Harvard one.

Q&A:
1) Why Winchendon R&G? Because I live 5 minutes away... It's really that simple.
2) Are you going to "teach/coach"? NO! I'm definitely not qualified to teach, but I can arrange targets, get approval from the club, and other administrative "stuff".
3) Why is this different than just going to the range and shooting? Well, I'd like it to be a format where we can help each other improve our performance, offer constructive ideas, and do some real intentional practice.

So, what do you think?

EDIT: Non-members of the club would have to join. The fee is only $25 so it is not a big investment. I expect that we would cover the cost of membership for guest instructors.

Last edited:
Don't worry about competing... Appleseeds everywhere! I'd be happy to help you guys get going. And I wasn't an instructor (or even a rifleman) when I started the Harvard shoots either, but there's nothing like regular shoots to accelerate the process.

Winchendon is pretty far for me but I might be able to make one night. I would like to learn to use my new AR.

Now I REALLY need to work on that "how to carry the rifle on the scooter" problem.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm:
survivalopen.jpg

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16d.html
su16D_01.jpg

I'm interested, I'm right in the area, Matt, I'll PM you.

Right back at you!!

So the question is when to do this. I was thinking Wednesday evenings (I work from home on Wednesdays) and an hour at the range is doable. Other nights are harder for me and weekends are difficult for me with family obligaitons. Sunday AM's are out. But what about the rest of you folks?

Ok, here's what we are going to do to start:

The first gathering will be informal/unofficial/unsanctioned. Just a bunch of club members getting together to shoot rifles (though I will work on getting an official club sanctioned time so that we don't have to compete for range time). If you are not a club member you will need to join between now and then - just $25.

First night will be Wednesday May 21, 6PM. I should have my targets and "Instructors pack" from Fred by then which seems to have everything needed to get moving. Please bring a target stand and some cardboard+staple gun. I'll come up with some, but if you can bring some it will help.

Bring your rifle (.22lr will be fine, even preferable, but anything will do, even bolt action). Outfit it per the LTR thread if you can (as that applies to your rifle). Get the sling on whatever you bring if at all possible. Makes a huge difference. Bring extra mags. Bring dummy rounds for your rifle if you have them. Spotting scope, or binoculars if you don't have one, would be very helpful I think.

BRING BUG SPRAY!! Black flies can be bad!

Bring a shooting mat, scrap carpet, something to lay on. You will be spending a good amount of time on the ground in prone position most likely. Some people like elbow pads. Leave the bipods at home, but if someone can bring a proper rifle rest if we need to help someone sight in, that would be great.

Usual safety gear will be required for all attending (eye and ear protection, empty chamber flags - get something if you don't have them). The line will be reviewed before anyone goes down range and before shooting starts.

The first night will start with a simple pre-defined course of fire, probably run twice, just to see where we all are (this is not a competition). Targets will be at 25meters (I'll bring my tape). I'll come up with a plan that should run us through 1.5 hours or so.

The first course of fire will be taken from Dwarven1's Appleseed postal match:

There are two targets: Here's the first part and here's the second part. Post the targets at 25 meters (82 feet). Fire 10 rounds at each silhouette as follows:

Stage 1: standing
Stage 2: sitting or kneeling
Stage 3: prone
Stage 4: prone

EDIT: Or the more straight forward Classification AQT.

We will be positioned down toward the berm if at all possible, so have something to keep all your gear together in. Bring a note book to keep track of you progress, take notes, etc. Bring a good attitude to teach/learn/discuss/share tips. Bring something to drink (lay off the caffeine early in the day...).

We'll conclude with a critique of the evening and suggestions for next time.

If you can't get there on time, come late! If you need to leave early, no problem!

Last edited:
I'm interested, but have never attended a formal/informal shoot and don't know what to expect. I'd like to use my bolt action .22, but only have one 10 rd. mag for it. From the description, that doesn't sound favorable. I also have no clue as to what meets the empty chamber flag requirement.

I, for one, am particularly excited about this! A big +1 to Matt for taking the initiative to put this together.

R. Duke

Also, I remember a while back that someone was looking for a Henry. I was at Guns & Gun parts in Springfield this weekend and noticed they had a few in stock online inventory.

Last edited:
If you are not a club member you will need to join between now and then - just $25.
If I just come up for the first one, is there any way for me to help run this as a guest? It wouldn't be a regular occurrance for me, and I probably would not shoot - I'd want to help instruct.

First night will be Wednesday May 21, 6PM. I should have my targets and "Instructors pack" from Fred by then which seems to have everything needed to get moving. Please bring a target stand and some cardboard+staple gun.
Thumbtacks can work well, too, if you don't have a staple gun.

Bring your rifle (.22lr will be fine, even preferable, but anything will do, even bolt action). Outfit it per the LTR thread if you can (as that applies to your rifle). Get the sling on whatever you bring if at all possible. Makes a huge difference. Bring extra mags. Bring dummy rounds for your rifle if you have them. Spotting scope, or binoculars if you don't have one, would be very helpful I think.

BRING BUG SPRAY!! Black flies can be bad!

Bring a shooting mat, scrap carpet, something to lay on. You will be spending a good amount of time on the ground in prone position most likely. Some people like elbow pads. Leave the bipods at home, but if someone can bring a proper rifle rest if we need to help someone sight in, that would be great.

Usual safety gear will be required for all attending (eye and ear protection, empty chamber flags - get something if you don't have them). The line will be reviewed before anyone goes down range and before shooting starts.
What I've put in bold are very good things to have - especially the extra mags. Spotting scope and Binocs are NOT needed - you want to go down range to check targets. The scope will make you want to stop shooting and look at each shot - bad idea. Bipod and rest are not needed - you fire a 3-5 shot group and adjust your sights accordingly.

The elbow pads are a great help - they save your elbows! If you don't have a shooting jacket, I'd bring the pads. The shooting pad is pretty much a necessity. Even a 3x6 piece of carpet will work.

I'm interested, but have never attended a formal/informal shoot and don't know what to expect. I'd like to use my bolt action .22, but only have one 10 rd. mag for it. From the description, that doesn't sound favorable. I also have no clue as to what meets the empty chamber flag requirement.
You can use a pipe cleaner for a chamber flag - basically something to go into the bore to let the RSO look at your rifle and know it's cleared. If I can get up there next week, I'll try to bring an LTR or two for folks to use.

I live nowhere near there, but am interested in this sort of thing for my club. Maybe more like a monthly basis from like May-September/October would be good for like 2 hours at a whack.

Anyhow, what is involved in doing one of these? Our club is not too keen on new stuff, but if we could get some exposure, maybe. Might need to drag a few people to this one, and maybe have someone speak at a monthly club meeting. This club is slow to act, and even slower if it doesn't involve the TV/bar/fishing barrel/horseshoe area.

Edited to add:
How does one present this to their club's officers? I'm sure the main concern will be liability when having non-club members shooting there.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Matt:

What's the easiest way to join the club? Can we bring our fee to the first shoot? The Goal listing says the club meets second Monday of the month which is today..

R.Duke

Hi Matt:

What's the easiest way to join the club? Can we bring our fee to the first shoot? The Goal listing says the club meets second Monday of the month which is today..

R.Duke

The clubhouse is closed on Mondays, but I'd assume it's open today if there is a meeting. All I did to join was walk in, hand the bartender my money and fill out the form. Done in 5 minutes.

Good Job, Matt. I can't promise a wednesday night, but I'll see what I can do about getting there even if I'm late. I'll PM you my phone number so we (including everyone's favorite dwarf) can coordinate.

When you only have a couple hours to shoot, I've found that binoculars or spotting scopes can save a lot of time. You put up two (or three or four) targets per person at the start of the night, and can get more shooting done without taking the time to switch targets. It can also help a calling the shot exercise to have a spotter.

Coyote: Check your PM box. We'll talk about setting one up wherever you are.

Chris

Hi guys,

I'm on my blackberry so I'll be brief.

I'm thrilled at the response! Thanks again for the volunteers!

Regarding membership I think you can join if you get there a little early Wednesday. Just pay the bar tender (I hate typing that).

Regarding memberships for visiting instructors: it would be my pleasure to cover the fee. (Just don't all come the same week fort your first time!)

Matt

Cdburns,

No problem, bring your bolt action. Semi auto would make life easier, but we'll take you with whatever you've got.

I haven't dome much of this either, so don't feel intimidated by shooting with a group. As far as I know MrTwigg is the only one coming that has done appleseed before (I'll be pm'ing you btw Dennis).

Matt

Here's what I'm bringing;

Stapler
Elbow pads
Water bottle
Spotting 'scope
Carpet remmnant
Cheap blue 5 X 7 tarp

I've shot Appleseeds with my SAR-1 and with a bolt action .22
Bring the rifle you are comfortable with.

Its black fly season, bring bug spray.

Back
Top Bottom