• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Updated: 6/21 - Winchendon "mini Appleseed" - Homework assignment!

Your interst level (answer only if you live in the area):

• Best idea since sliced bread! Yes, I'll be there!

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I like the idea, but I wouldn't be able to attend regularly.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Best idea since the "Tom Rielly for AG"! (i.e. not on your life!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Andy and Dennis,

Thanks for coming out tonight!

Dennis: I've got your bug spray in my range bag for you.

Matt

Thanks !

No worries Matt, once again it was a good time!

Dennis it was nice to meet you.

I think we all learned a thing or two tonight!

Live Free, Andy

Back at 'cha ! Always a pleasure meeting new folk !

Last edited:
Homework Assignment!

Hey guys, a little homework for you...

...study up for next shoot July 2!

Attachments

• learn to shoot and do your homework-small.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 28
16 July

We had a good shoot tonight. Light wind, warm, and sunny. No bugs other than a hornet circling around Dennis. Dennis shooting the ball-and-dummy drill with his Russian .22:

P7160219-1.jpg

Matt and Dennis putting some lead down range:

P7160221-1.jpg

We managed two strings of the AQT. I shot a 176 and a 196. After that Dennis and Matt filled a few magazines with live and dummy rounds. We took turns watching each other for jerking the trigger. Everyone did well as they knew the dummy rounds were in there (somewhere) and that they were being watched.

Next, Dennis had a few targets consisting of scaled gray circles. He described a fourty round course of fire which we all gave a try. There was still plenty of light, but once the sun whent down behind the trees, those gray circles got mighty fuzzy!

It had been such a nice day I neglected to bring any clear eye pro and as a result shot with my sunglasses on. I really paid the price for it on those gray targets.

I also found out that at 25m my new front sight is just as wide as the simulated 100 yard AQT target. Not bad for that target, but it makes for a difficult sight picture on the simulated 300 and 400 yard targets. It looks like I need to have the gunsmith machine the front sight a little narrower.

As it was nearing 8:00 pm, we finished up with ringing the big piece of steel at 100 yards. Well, with .22s it was more like a "ting".

All in all a great evening busting caps!!!

Thanks to Matt and Dennis!

+1 for the hasty. I tried the loop sling in dry fire this week and it just doesn't do it for me. It's too fiddly to get in and out of, and just isn't comfortable for me. Maybe I'll give it another chance in the future, but I'm happy with the hasty for now.

Someone demoed a quick way to go from slung carry to the hasty sling at the Harvard appleseed, but I can't for the life of me remember it. Can anyone help me out?

Yes, I see the loop. But even with the loop, wrap your arm and put your forward hand between the stock and sling.

Like this guy:
slinguse1.jpg

(BTW, I hate being the picture nazi. Makes people not want to post pictures anymore, so let's stop jumping on these good men and women)

Last edited:
(BTW, I hate being the picture nazi. Makes people not want to post pictures anymore, so let's stop jumping on these good men and women)

+1 We are all learning. The people in the appleseed pics are already ahead of those who don't bother attempting to become better riflemen... And when you are showing up for the first time there are plenty of guys who will show you the ropes. All they want to do is make you a better rifleman period.

loop vs. hasty

FWIW and IMO, the loop sling is great for marksmanship exercises, but it performs poorly for practical rifle work. It is slow to get into and prevents you from using the sling as a carry strap. The hasty sling aids in marksmanship, but allows you to carry the rifle at a higher level of comfort and readiness.

In their intended use (hunting or in one of Fred’s scenarios) rifles are carried much more than they are shot. It is up to us to be able to quickly dismount the rifle, sling up (if necessary), assume a supported or artificial position (based on time / distance), acquire a sight picture, and get a compressed surprised break on the trigger.

Taking the time to climb into a loop sling might give you a great hit, but it may be a hit that comes too late.

Sling dismounts

jar,
I did a quick Google search to try to find a link to help you out as pictures definitely help in this description. I did not find anything suitable right away. However, this is from the Gunsite Rifle Handbook:

To dismount your rifle from "American Carry" (the rifle is slung on your strong side shoulder with the muzzle up):
- Strong hand applies tension to the sling.
- Support hand reaches through to acquire a firing grip on the stock.
- Support hand rotates the rifle downward to point in the direction of the target.
- Strong hand acquires the pistol grip; mechanical safety is disengaged as rifle is brought to shooter's eye level.
- Keep you finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.

To dismount your rifle from "African Carry" (the rifle is slung on your support side shoulder with the muzzle down):
- Support hand raises the rifle to point in the direction of the target.
- Strong hand acquires the pistol grip.
- Both hands rotate the rifle in a 'corkscrew' fashion; the mechanical safety is disengaged as the rifle is brought to the shooter's eye level.
- Keep you finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.

I live nowhere near there, but am interested in this sort of thing for my club. Maybe more like a monthly basis from like May-September/October would be good for like 2 hours at a whack.

Anyhow, what is involved in doing one of these? Our club is not too keen on new stuff, but if we could get some exposure, maybe. Might need to drag a few people to this one, and maybe have someone speak at a monthly club meeting. This club is slow to act, and even slower if it doesn't involve the TV/bar/fishing barrel/horseshoe area.

Edited to add:
How does one present this to their club's officers? I'm sure the main concern will be liability when having non-club members shooting there.

Thanks.
??

Coyote, we tried to send you pms about it but your box was full. Can you delete some stuff and let us know when it's clear to send.

Back
Top Bottom