Update on Blended Learning

Interesting assertion, but that's really all it is, right? You're projecting an awful lot from MA requirements onto the other 49 states.
You are in NH so, like MA residents, can get a rather limited view of things.

I know that UT, FL, TX, CT, NV and ME require a class to obtain a CCW, and believe that there are other states that do as well. Some states such as UT and TX have their own instructor certification programs, and others such as FL and CT piggyback off of existing classes such as NRA classes. The "course requirement for CCW" if a fairly common thing for states that have gone "shall issue" in recent years.

You are in NH so, like MA residents, can get a rather limited view of things.

I know that UT, FL, TX, CT, NV and ME require a class to obtain a CCW, and believe that there are other states that do as well. Some states such as UT and TX have their own instructor certification programs, and others such as FL and CT piggyback off of existing classes such as NRA classes. The "course requirement for CCW" if a fairly common thing for states that have gone "shall issue" in recent years.

I don't disagree, but I know my UT and ME licenses had nothing to do with any NRA course, so that's a non-issue, and we're still talking about a limited number of the 50 states. I guess my point is, you cannot possibly have any data to back up this statement: "...the driving force for intro classes is government requirements - most often to get a CCW in a shall issue state."

The NRA can be stupid, and can do some really stupid things, but I'd bet big money they did a fair amount of market research before they pulled the trigger on blended learning. I doubt anybody at NRA HQ is going to look back and say, "OMG, this is where it all fell apart."

DISCLAIMER: I feel I should keep saying I hate the concept of blended learning.

I got it and cried. I was told on the phone by NRA Training that I had to turn in any excess packets before the 16 May changeover date. I had my last class on 15 May, so I held them.

I think I threw away my last 10 packets in early June.

This demonstrates how poorly the NRA planned for and implemented the transition to the new course. They must have received a lot of complaints about this and decided to do damage control.

I don't disagree, but I know my UT and ME licenses had nothing to do with any NRA course
You are correct in regards to UT.

I believe that ME accepts a wide variety of courses, including but not limited to, the NRA class - thus providing an excellent testing ground for the marketability of NRA courses when they are one of several options available.

This demonstrates how poorly the NRA planned for and implemented the transition to the new course. They must have received a lot of complaints about this and decided to do damage control.
I had ordered some prior to 16May and at that time they said they would accept any unused packets for credit after the May date. I recall it was a good month or so open period.

I had ordered some prior to 16May and at that time they said they would accept any unused packets for credit after the May date. I recall it was a good month or so open period.

Yup, just found it . . . Email from NRA Training dated FEB 10th 2016:

Basic Pistol course Student Packets will continue to be available on a limited basis until later this month and the NRA will be accepting returns and refunding instructors for unused NRA Basic Pistol Student Packets after the transitional period ends, less shipping and handling.

Of course watch out if they charge you "handling" the returns prior to crediting you for the packets you return.

Of course watch out if they charge you "handling" the returns prior to crediting you for the packets you return.

I never received the Feb 10th 2016 email regarding the credit.

I did receive an email 1-29-16 saying...

...As you are likely aware, our supply of Basic Pistol Packets has been completely depleted from the unprecedented demand on our supplies during the last two months of 2015. We will be receiving replacements for the depleted stock soon, at which time you'll be able to order the Basic Pistol Packets....

I think they mean they will not refund the "shipping and handling" you paid as part of your original order(s).

I think they mean they will not refund the "shipping and handling" you paid as part of your original order(s).

You never know with the NRA! You pay almost the same for S/H 1 student packet as you do for the packet itself. I always order in bulk but the S/H based on $$ not weight really adds up quickly.

I'm only 1/2 joking when I say that they might charge a restocking fee as handling! My understanding is that they are using the booklets for the new blended course . . . not 100% but think this is the case.

Heard from a reliable source that there is a committee formed that is redoing how mass ltcs are issued and what training instructors will need to instruct and making a uniform issuing process through the state not town to town like now hope this to be true and for the better the nra will be removed from the requirements

Heard from a reliable source that there is a committee formed that is redoing how mass ltcs are issued and what training instructors will need to instruct and making a uniform issuing process through the state not town to town like now hope this to be true and for the better the nra will be removed from the requirements

Was the source a gun shop clerk? Statie?

Without as much detail this was pretty much from the horses mouth at MSP. Basically I was told that there are discussions about changing the reqs for classes, etc.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

So what will the standard be to receive an unrestricted LTC?

Without as much detail this was pretty much from the horses mouth at MSP. Basically I was told that there are discussions about changing the reqs for classes, etc.

Mike

Pretty sure MSP doesn't have the authority to do the uniform issuing process without a change in the law.

Mike

There are two separate issues;

1. Changing instructor/course requirements. This is easily done by regulation and requires no legislative action.

2. Changing how LTCs are issues. The MSP or state could offer guidelines, but it cannot be changed from the town by town system we currently have without legislative action.

Some of this "inside info", particularly with regard to "changing how LTCs are issued" may be as "inside" and as "reliable" as the NES contributor who had a highly connected source who knew the hildebeast would be indicted.

Anyone have a status update on where the MSP are on this?

Last I heard, within the past month, is that they are nowhere. Apparently they stated that they were not going to approve it since it didn't contain the MA law in the NRA course (no vendor course does). Realize that there is a different Lt. in charge and he may not go along with what the prior Lt. allowed . . . that's what it sounds like to me.

The NRA really screwed over the Basic Pistol instructors.

True, but has nothing to do with MSP.

Pre-blended course you could schedule a date and have a class fill it in.

With the blended course, it will take days for a potential student to complete the online and each student will be ready for Phase 2 at different times and expect you to teach them . . . so they expect you to teach onesies which makes absolutely no economic sense for any instructor.

True, but has nothing to do with MSP.

Pre-blended course you could schedule a date and have a class fill it in.

With the blended course, it will take days for a potential student to complete the online and each student will be ready for Phase 2 at different times and expect you to teach them . . . so they expect you to teach onesies which makes absolutely no economic sense for any instructor.

I haven't taught a class post-blended learning, as I'm still trying to work out the mechanics of this very thing.

I'm thinking of announcing a class date well in advance, and saying "Get your Phase I in by xx date. If we have less than xx people complete by yy date, the class will be cancelled."

Not perfect, but I'm still thinking it through.

I haven't taught a class post-blended learning, as I'm still trying to work out the mechanics of this very thing.

I'm thinking of announcing a class date well in advance, and saying "Get your Phase I in by xx date. If we have less than xx people complete by yy date, the class will be cancelled."

Not perfect, but I'm still thinking it through.

Why would you schedule any Blended Learning class? It's not accepted as a good cert for getting an LTC.

The trend in MA seems to be to teach the home firearms safety class to qualify to issue the MA certificate, then augment it with a practical range session. Even the NRAs affiliate, GOAL, is declining to jump into blended learning and the "nominal" $60 per student fee to the NRA.

Once the state figures out how to certify classes again, I'll get going on the "open source pistol course" that I hope to get approved and allow any MA certified instructor to teach free of royalty, license fee or payment.

Back
Top Bottom