• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lawyers on training

I’d be interested in hearing other expert opinions, but their argument here seems weak at best, and I have no idea why she went directly into a 1A discussion. So you took training. Does that make you seem more likely to kill someone for the wrong reason compared to a gun owner with no training? Does it make you seem more skilled and generally responsible than an untrained gun owner?

TLDR - Screenshot_20231208_183636_Chrome.jpg

I'll save everyone 13 minutes. Two attorneys talk about things that prosecutors will use against you should you find yourself in a self-defense trial.

Police that are charged criminally are held to a certain standard which is starting to be applied to civilians. Prosecutors will say those with military background aren't afraid of confrontation, concealed carry holders aren't police and shouldn't act like LEO, and people who have training are looking for a fight.

Essentially, prosecutors will use anything and everything they can against you. They suggest you should absolutely be licensed to carry and that you should get training. They just suggest that you don't blabber online or to other people that you've done training so that it can't be used against you in the court of law.

Maybe I'm missing something here but they basically say be smart and don't talk to police and don't let prosecutors f you that easily.

I don't know why this matters if your attorney isn't shit and you don't run your mouth, how much training you have is strictly a narrative under your control for the most part. I doubt it's going to change someones shoot/no shoot much. .

I don't know why this matters if your attorney isn't shit and you don't run your mouth, how much training you have is strictly a narrative under your control for the most part. I doubt it's going to change someones shoot/no shoot much. .
That's the point they make. It really doesn't matter what you do, prosecutors gonna prosecute and make up whatever narrative they want. They use the example that if you have a concealed carry license then they'll call you a vigilante. If you don't have a conceal carry license then you're negligent and untrained.

This is something I brought up with Massad Ayoob - what really matters is whether you took training that promises to turn you into Rambo or has other macho bullshit (remember the AR sticker "you're f***ed"?). That could speak to your mindset, if you are taking serious professional-quality courses to upgrades your skills in a serious manner this will likely not apply.

Wait so my options are: train and some lefty prosecutor will go hard in the paint on me because I trained, or don't train and die.

Hmmmm...
You went out and learned how to be a highly skilled gun owner that trained to dispatch others with an ability that exceeds the average person, thus making you exceeding deadly vs the mean gun owner population!

^ Above is both true and tounge in cheek.

I fully disagree that training should ever be used against you!!!

It’s like taking an extra driving classes to stay safe and be better at driving.

OR! MA wants enhanced training to get your LTC per the new bill, but now you are more trained/skilled?

So now that’s bad in court.

I swear they will never stop until the second amendment is struck from the constitution.

🖕

Edited to correct typos.

Last edited:
The most interesting case law yet to be made is on the fringes and I would not be surprised if this gains traction in some districts. Regardless, yeah, f*** their theory.

Reminds me of the old “I have to register my hands as a deadly weapon” (I went to Fred Villaries (sp?) school of (bs katas and easy board breaking).

That was getting old in the 80’s.

When I lived in FL. I joined a takewado gym, at the end of the class they asked who wanted to buy boards to break.

I never went back.

Gus Alivera is what I remember the guy who owned it. I might have the patch someplace from the school

The chant was “might for right” (ok. Not bad)

Reminds me of the old “I have to register my hands as a deadly weapon” (I went to Fred Villaries (sp?) school of (bs katas and easy board breaking).

That was getting old in the 80’s.

When I lived in FL. I joined a takewado gym, at the end of the class they asked who wanted to buy boards to break.

I never went back.

Gus Alivera is what I remember the guy who owned it. I might have the patch someplace from the school

The chant was “might for right” (ok. Not bad)

Also (yeah I’m quoting my post, so report me) when I was in FL EVERYONE was a f***ing black belt in some martial arts.

I worked as a bouncer at a 24 hour bar in broward (sp?) county 1991 ish?

Sadly this was post Road House the movie. Omfg everyone was a tough guy and the Dalton jokes were by the minute…

My claim to fame was I just kept quiet, did not act tough and just smiled. That scared more people than acting tough.

And honestly? I’m glad I did not have to fight!

I was called Mr Flashlight (not to be confused with @Reptile and him being Mr Fleshlight) because I had a 4 cell mag light in my waistband.

ETA: Oh!!! Almost forgot, they gave me a pink shirt to wear as a bouncer. That caused me a lot of un needed grief! I’d say it’s a pink shirt, but not a pink person…

Last edited:
ETA: Oh!!! Almost forgot, they gave me a pink shirt to wear as a bouncer. That caused me a lot of un needed grief! I’d say it’s a pink shirt, but not a pink person…
A few years ago, I was called to a customer's (a construction company) to fix something, and happened at the time to be wearing this t-shirt:

epic-deadpool-t-shirt-teeturtle-marvel_800x.jpg

One of the engineers made a comment. I said, "Well, are YOU man enough to wear a shirt with Deadpool riding a pink unicorn - with rainbows and tacos and chimichangas?"

"No. No I am not." was his reply.

It's intriguing to explore trends in training, especially in the context of shooting and legal expertise. Understanding the intersection between these fields can be crucial, especially for armed attorneys. Incorporating comprehensive training not only sharpens shooting skills but also prepares legal professionals for real-world scenarios. Speaking of legal matters, if anyone's seeking advice or insights in this realm, Dodd-Frank whistleblower lawyers (https://federal-lawyer.cоm/whistleblower-lawyers/dodd-frank/) can offer valuable expertise. Their insights might prove beneficial, especially for attorneys navigating intricate legal territories tied to firearms or security-related issues. It's fascinating to witness the evolving landscape of specialized training and legal dimensions in tandem.

This is something I brought up with Massad Ayoob - what really matters is whether you took training that promises to turn you into Rambo or has other macho bullshit (remember the AR sticker "you're f***ed"?). That could speak to your mindset, if you are taking serious professional-quality courses to upgrades your skills in a serious manner this will likely not apply.
Much is made about how bad it looked for that cop to have "Your f***ed" on his dust cover, but it probably didnt effect things at his trial.
Body cam footage of him Shooting the unarmed drunk guy who was trying to pull up his pants was far worse for that morons case than what ever stupid $h!t he had on his rifle.
Idiot still got acquitted and retired with a pension.

Back
Top Bottom