Update 2/21 Westford Ban

To me there doesn't seem to be much point to recalling him, he's up for reelection in April. There are two selectmen up this year, Jeffries and Peraner-Sweet. There are at least two other candidates running (nominating petitions are due next week). The two announced candidates are pro-2A. I plan to support both of them as long as they have reasonable positions on other issues, which they seem to so far.
I think it's called "sending a message."

Woo Hoo!

Congratulations!

Saw the report on the news this morning (before coming on here). Very favorable report too.

Good to see the standing ovation & cheers response and the fact that the vote to withdraw was UNANIMOUS!

(FWIW - I do alot of work in Westford, among other MA communities)

Last edited:
Awesome job, everyone! I heard the segment on WRKO last night as well!

Fox 25 did a pretty good job of covering this. I just don't like the way they characterized it as an "Assualt Weapons Ban" that was withdrawn as MA already has a state-wide AWB. So the average low-information person that doesn't know that MA already has a state AWB would think that people can still get a full-auto machine gun. Instead of what this really was, a gun confiscation from lawful citizens.

Great job, Deb and everyone! I was a WSC member until this year when I moved away, so wish I could have been there.

I wish I wasnt sick so i could have made it to the meeting. I did watch it on TV however, and got goosebumps when i saw all those patriots stand and applaud after Valerie Wormells remarks. It makes me beyond proud to know that we have so many strong willed people in this town and we would stand up for our rights when many others just lay down. Deb, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for spearheading this effort and letting Mr. Jefferies know how many of us truly feel. Everyone that supported our little town in its time of need also gets a huge thanks. This is far from over, but like Lexington and Concord, it is a step in the right direction.

The Article was pulled last night, and so it will NOT formally be brought to Town Meeting on March 23. HOWEVER - it is very likely that something will happen. For instance, a citizens petition can call a special town meeting inside the formal town meeting on that same day, which would essentially reopen the article for vote. There is a petition being circulated, but they have to get a sufficient number of signatures, and we have to have enough people to vote it down if it comes up. There is also the possibility that the Board will try to pull some other shenanigans (or is it malarkey?), so PLEASE SHOW UP if you're a resident. You can also show up as an observer, if you wish. We still need support, so call and write your representatives. If it passes here, it will pass elsewhere, so we need to stop this now. Thanks for all your support

I think it's called "sending a message."

Don't just threaten to recall him, but actually do it. It will send ALL OF THEM (in the state) a message.

...Fox 25 ... covering this. I just don't like the way they characterized it as an "Assualt Weapons Ban" that was withdrawn as MA already has a state-wide AWB. So the average low-information person that doesn't know that MA already has a state AWB would think that people can still get a full-auto machine gun. Instead of what this really was, a gun confiscation from lawful citizens.

I thought it was not really an "AW" ban, but an "undesired features and colors" ban. More needs to be said of the failure of these bans to improve anything.

Well, don't anyone let their guard down. Be vigilant.

From the link below:

.... Jefferies said he would not let the discussion about banning assault weapons
in town end with the withdrawal of his article.

"I don't think it ended tonight," he said. "I have to find out how to move
forward."

Jefferies said he still doesn't know how Westford residents feel about his
proposal.

He said he has spoken to about one or two dozen people who support the ban.

He said he would support putting together a committee of gunowners, victims
advocates, and members of the sportsmen clubs in town to discuss the issue,
which was proposed by Brett Fleckner.
Jefferies noted the selectmen had adopted a goal this year of banning assault
weapons and high-capacity magazines in town....

"Excellent work" fighting back this deluge of gun bans etc. One thing I noted though was when the bearded comunist who proposed this agenda item was interviewed (CH 7 News). He mentions he was coordinating with other towns(people) to bring up this agenda around the state. It maybe he was trying to make his BS bigger than Westford but, we should be vigilant in watching our towns/state officials for more anti gun nonsense. The State House is next but, keep an eye out around your town.

T2G

GREAT WORK EVERYONE!!!!

Westford is on its way to be well organized! Just think, you can only get stronger and make real change in this town. Set the precedence for other towns to follow. To all of the Newbie NES'rs - please stay connected here on this forum and with westfordpro2A. Check your email more often and this thread so you know whats coming up.

Stay strong everyone! Good job!

Huge thanks to Deb and Al for their leadership and the rest of the Westford Pro2A crew for all of their hard work on this. Thanks to Comm2A for the legal support that we thankfully ended up not needing. Thanks to GOAL for alerting their members and helping WP2A. Thanks to Westford Sportsmen's club for alerting their membership and providing meeting space for WP2A. Thanks to Harvard Sportsmen's club and the rest who alerted their membership. Finally, thank you to each and every one of the 600 people who showed up last night.

Is this a meeting that you would like out of town people to attend just to bolster the numbers?

Huge thanks to Deb and Al for their leadership and the rest of the Westford Pro2A crew for all of their hard work on this. Thanks to Comm2A for the legal support that we thankfully ended up not needing. Thanks to GOAL for alerting their members and helping WP2A. Thanks to Westford Sportsmen's club for alerting their membership and providing meeting space for WP2A. Thanks to Harvard Sportsmen's club and the rest who alerted their membership. Finally, thank you to each and every one of the 600 people who showed up last night.

Thanks for mentioning all the organizations that supported us. I think we should also thank Carl at Four Seasons for letting us leverage a primo spot on his website and sending out specific email blasts.

Chris

The Article was pulled last night, and so it will NOT formally be brought to Town Meeting on March 23. HOWEVER - it is very likely that something will happen. For instance, a citizens petition can call a special town meeting inside the formal town meeting on that same day, which would essentially reopen the article for vote. There is a petition being circulated, but they have to get a sufficient number of signatures, and we have to have enough people to vote it down if it comes up. There is also the possibility that the Board will try to pull some other shenanigans (or is it malarkey?), so PLEASE SHOW UP if you're a resident. You can also show up as an observer, if you wish. We still need support, so call and write your representatives. If it passes here, it will pass elsewhere, so we need to stop this now. Thanks for all your support

This ^. Also be aware that under M.G.L., Ch.39, §10, petitioners need only 100 signatures to call a Special Town Meeting within a town meeting or 200 signatures to call their very own special town meeting within 45 days of the request. I wouldn't put it past Mr. Jefferies and his supporters to do just that. Remain vigilant!

Thanks for mentioning all the organizations that supported us. I think we should also thank Carl at Four Seasons for letting us leverage a primo spot on his website and sending out specific email blasts.

Chris

The power of this can't be overstated..... The key to winning this fight is our ability to get the word out and mobilize quickly....[thinking]

Chris

I knew I'd forget somebody. Thanks for the reminder, and thanks to Carl for the help.

This ^. Also be aware that under M.G.L., Ch.39, §10, petitioners need only 100 signatures to call a Special Town Meeting within a town meeting or 200 signatures to call their very own special town meeting within 45 days of the request. I wouldn't put it past Mr. Jefferies and his supporters to do just that. Remain vigilant!

What would be the process to increase the number of signatures required on a petition? Could it be increased on a town level? It's madness that it only takes 10 signatures for a topic to be included on the warrant if it is submitted on time.

Why don't you Westford guys come up with some sort of petition that is pro-gun and puts the selectman in a tough position?

By this I mean a petition that somehow uses the language to make them admit they simply are not for civil rights as laid down by the Constitution.

Make them put their money where their mouths are.

I'm not sure how this could be worded off the top of my head - but I'm sure with some thought something could be come up with.

Another thought - is to take Jeffries suggestion of a militia - and run with that. Put out a petition that an actual town militia be formed - and included in that would be the keeping of "personal defense weapons" (the DHS definition of black rifles) - in the homes of all members.

There's a guy named Edwin Viera - who I've posted here a number of time - and he's an actual Constitutional lawyer - who might be of some help in crafting something like this. Jeffries himself brought this up. This might a way of seeing if they were really serious.

What would be the process to increase the number of signatures required on a petition? Could it be increased on a town level? It's madness that it only takes 10 signatures for a topic to be included on the warrant if it is submitted on time.

Massachusetts General Law would have to be amended.

Why don't you Westford guys come up with some sort of petition that is pro-gun and puts the selectman in a tough position?

By this I mean a petition that somehow uses the language to make them admit they simply are not for civil rights as laid down by the Constitution.

I'm not sure how this could be worded off the top of my head - but I'm sure with some thought something could be come up with.

Another thought - is to take Jeffries suggestion of a militia - and run with that. Put out a petition that an actual town militia be formed - and included in that would be the keeping of "personal defense weapons" (the DHS definition of black rifles) - in the homes of all members.

There's a guy named Edwin Viera - who I've posted here a number of time - and he's an actual Constitutional lawyer - who might be of some help in crafting something like this. Jeffries himself brought this up. This might a way of seeing if they were really serious.

I wonder if the Oath Keepers would be useful here. Do Selectmen take an oath? Can they be held to it? Are there consequences to not keeping it? How can this even work, when people can't agree on what the 2nd means?

How about getting them to agree with the Massachusetts Constitution of the Commonwealth:

Article XVII. The people have a right to keep and to bear arms for the common defense. And as, in time of peace, armies are dangerous to liberty, they ought not to be maintained without the consent of the legislature; and the military power shall always be held in an exact subordination to the civil authority, and be governed by it.

Here is the link to the entire Constitution of the Commonwealth.

Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

What to write and where to put it? Maybe a statement in support of the 2nd Amendment could placed in the town code, in a selectmen's policy or maybe in the town's charter. Since the selectmen can change their policies at any time, the code or the charter seem a better choice, since they can only be changed by town meeting vote. However, I believe a change in the charter must also be approved by the MA legislature.

So why not get 100 signatures to have a town meeting within a meeting to require a 6 month cooling off period to allow for discussion/review for anything that would have an effect on civil rights? Fight fire with fire.....

Back
Top Bottom