• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Update 2/21 Westford Ban

FrugalFannie

NES Member
Westford Pro 2A meeting tonight, 2/21/2013 at 7:30 at the Westford Sportsmens Club

We will discuss where do we go from here now that the bylaw proposal has been removed.
We will meet two Pro 2A candidates for the Board of Selectmen.

Westford Pro 2A video Article 30 - A flawed process - YouTube

Board member Bob Jeffries spreading his lies.

Westford Community Access Television - Online - Powered by LEIGHTRONIX PEG Central ®

Al Prescott defending our side

Westford Community Access Television - Online - Powered by LEIGHTRONIX PEG Central ®

Thank you to WSC for providing us with a meeting space and thank you to all who showed up.

Call the Selectmen and ask them to remove Article 30.

Please be calm and polite! I have heard numerous times from selectmen that people have been ranting. I understand you're very upset, as am I, but getting upset will not help us at this point.

Suggestion: Pick 1 or 2 points from below and discuss these points. Attack the bylaw, not the people.

- It would ban almost all semiautomatic pistols and rifles, as well as shotguns which could hold more than 5 rounds - these are very common FIREARMS we own which would be banned

- This would do nothing to reduce crime in our town

- It would be an unfair burden on law abiding citizens, regardless of where they reside, who travel through Westford to have to understand our local bylaw

- There has been almost no public discussion on this article unlike the new sign bylaw which has been open to public comment for nearly 2 years!

- There are no studies showing that gun bans reduce violent crime and in fact, areas with the strongest bans (from Chicago to DC to England) violent crime increases after bans are instituted.

- Board of Selectmen did not ask for public input on a CIVIL RIGHTS issue - compared to other issues which were discussed for months before being brought to town meeting (asphalt plant, east boston camps plan, SIGNAGE BYLAW)

KELLY J ROSS CHAIR 978-692-8775
JIM SULLIVAN CLERK 978-692-8248
ANDREA PERANER-SWEET 978-692-7399
VALERIE A WORMELL 978-692-9643

Read the draft of the Warrant Article here:
http://westfordma.gov/pages/governm...ts/2013atm/DRAFT_2013ATMWARRANT_1-23-2013.pdf

Please read the attorney's letter to the town regarding this ban and the recommended changes to the proposed bylaw at www.tinyurl.com/westfordban

email me and I will add you to our 'electronic newsletter' for updates and such. please include your town of residence and a cell phone if you are comfortable with that. Only I will have access to that info. [email protected]

ETA: If you are a concerned resident of Westford please attend any and all town committee meetings you can so you can speak out if this subject comes up. Specifically we should focus on School Committee, Board of Selectmen, and Financial Committee meetings. I will be at all between now and Town Meeting. I usually wear a Patriots hat so introduce yourself if you see me.

MARCH 23RD is TOWN MEETING. We need all pro 2A, registered voters of Westford there to defeat any ridiculous proposal. Bring your family and friends!

ETA: any resident of westford or anyone who can help please email me at [email protected] your contact info. I am the only one who will have access to this info.

This is the BoS meeting from 12/18/2012 when the goal of a bylaw was oiginally put forth. It received almost no discussion.Start watching from 52:10 Westford Community Access Television - Online - Powered by LEIGHTRONIX PEG Central ®

This is the BoS meeting where it was actually accepted as a goal. The chief speaks and it seems as if his input is basically ignored. Start watching from 1:12:00 Westford Community Access Television - Online - Powered by LEIGHTRONIX PEG Central ®

Last edited:
Is it possible for non-Westford residents to attend your town meetings? If so, I am in a neighboring town if you need an extra body for support? If I can't get in I am happy to stand outside your TM with a sign if that would even help. Happy to do whatever I can to help. I think we all need to be concerned about this, wether we live in that particular town or not. This will spread like a virus.

I am an HSC member and there are a lot of Westford residents there. Would it be of any help to get that club involved too? I am thinking this is not going to be limited to just Westford and maybe we should all preemptively get on our towns and get all clubs involved.

Mattyweb,

Town meeting will be too late. I will be sending an email to the president of HSC asking him to post this in the weekly newsletter. I recently resigned as head of Grounds there so I know most everyone.

A town meeting only registered voters can vote and it really is town politics. Not sure if you can observe if you are not a resident but thanks for the offer. We may need help in other ways before TM.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone has info on who does the WSC email newsletter please send me their contact info so we can get it out to their members.

PennyPincher,

I am not sure if Ken does our newsletter but maybe send him a PM (KMaurer) and check.

James

Given the timing, I think the WSC newsletter is too slow. I personally think this is a big enough deal to phone bank the membership list, and I'm glad to volunteer my time to do so. The issue has already been brought to the attention of the WSC board, so we'll see what they say.

Given the timing, I think the WSC newsletter is too slow. I personally think this is a big enough deal to phone bank the membership list, and I'm glad to volunteer my time to do so. The issue has already been brought to the attention of the WSC board, so we'll see what they say.

Can you email me a contact phone number at WSC?

i will be happy to provide my signature and attend the town meeting and maybe one or two additional residents signatures that I know are gun owners on my street. just let me know the time and place.

Live right next to westford, so much for the thought of joining that club. Im surprised they didnt say hi capacity clips.

Deb,

I'm in for the duration. I'm out of town this weekend but am ready to assist in any way I can after that and going forward.

Thank you.

Thank you everyone. This is all very new to me. My husband knows the husband of one of the selectmen (Valerie Wormell). I spoke with Valerie this morning. I also have been in touch with Jon Green at GOAL, Mike and Jim. I have received emails and phone calls and helpful information. I got a call from a Comm2A person also (Tom?). I just watched the selectmens meeting. If you have not seen it please watch here http://westfordcat.pegcentral.com/player.php?video=b995bd7275adf95926d13e41e4885ad2 starting at 1:12. Bob Jeffries who is proposing this from what I can tell wants to 'send a message' and 'push (gun control) from the bottom up'. We need to push back.

There is a LOT of strategy going into rebutting this and improving our situation. Not just on the local level but on a larger scale.

Bob Jeffries wants to send a message. I want to send the exact opposite message,to the state house, the Congress and the White House. It starts here! On the local level.

I am getting ready to go to a meeting at the town hall, Bylaw review committee, 6:30 in the first floor conference room. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS ON THE AGENDA. I will go and listen and speak up if necessary. If it is discussed I will register my opposition but I think that we need to listen more than we speak tonight. If any of you come I will be wearing my Patriots gear (football, not revolutionaries) so come find me and talk to me.

Reminder: send me email at [email protected] It would also be good for me if you include your screen name.

I wanted to thank Mike Sweeney and GOAL for sending an email blast to all GOAL members who are Westford residents.

Thank you.

I wanted to thank Mike Sweeney and GOAL for sending an email blast to all GOAL members who are Westford residents.

Thank you.

Would it help to contact non-residents? As this would impact anyone who even travels through westford with an EBR?

Would it help to contact non-residents? As this would impact anyone who even travels through westford with an EBR?

Once there's something concrete, it may come to that. At this point, we have no idea what the law will look like. I think town politicians care a lot more about what town residents think than non-residents.

I just watched this shit. You guys/gals in Westford better blow up that hippies spot. I'm not a resident, but my girlfriends family is. I'll show up just to support you guys. I can't stand this crap. My girlfriend just moved from Westford to Foxboro with me and she has her ALP issued from Westford. Does it sound like the chief is on board with this?

My blood is boiling....

Does it sound like the chief is on board with this?

I watched the video earlier and it appears that the Chief is on our side honestly. He mentioned that we already have more or less the same AWB that Clinton put into place in 1994. It is obvious that Bob Jeffries is spearheading this and is VERY ignorant when it comes to firearms. The Selectman that sat all the way to the left was very level headed and was trying to get Bob to drop it. She also indicated that none of them are gun owners and could use an education. Does it make sense to reach out to them and educate them on past, current and future gun laws? Is this something that GOAL could do?

Chris

Don't fool yourself. Jeffries is dumb like a fox. I've seen him in action. Like other anti-2A's, he has an agenda.

Not at this time but we will keep it in mind if we need outside help. Check in your local town and make sure nothing like this is coming down the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Once there's something concrete, it may come to that. At this point, we have no idea what the law will look like. I think town politicians care a lot more about what town residents think than non-residents.

Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

I just watched this shit. You guys/gals in Westford better blow up that hippies spot. I'm not a resident, but my girlfriends family is. I'll show up just to support you guys. I can't stand this crap. My girlfriend just moved from Westford to Foxboro with me and she has her ALP issued from Westford. Does it sound like the chief is on board with this?

My blood is boiling....

The CoP sounds like he knows it would violate 2A as well as Mass law. My concern with him is that he brought upthe issue of various licenses. If he B-rams us we would be just as bad off. Worse even maybe.

I watched the video earlier and it appears that the Chief is on our side honestly. He mentioned that we already have more or less the same AWB that Clinton put into place in 1994. It is obvious that Bob Jeffries is spearheading this and is VERY ignorant when it comes to firearms. The Selectman that sat all the way to the left was very level headed and was trying to get Bob to drop it. She also indicated that none of them are gun owners and could use an education. Does it make sense to reach out to them and educate them on past, current and future gun laws? Is this something that GOAL could do?

Chris

The Republican Town Committee is meeting Saturday morning. Valerie Wormel asked if I could have someone there to answer questions. GOAL is only 5 people. They cannot be there. We may possibly have someone from another organization there. I am an NRA instructor (which really means I am more confused than others about the laws) and there is a local instructor I am trying to get there who does a lot of teaching locally and would be a great asset (my email is down momentarily). I think we should show up in an effort to educate. I am prepping some handouts (really just photocopyin from a GOAL handout - thanks GOAL) to give to people. I also think that by letting them know we oppose any such proposal we can gain some ground.

This will not be won on Saturday. This is just the beginning. How we conduct ourselves is vital. We can be passionate but we should remain level headed. I know I am preaching to the choir here. We should remain focused on educating and showing our support for the 2A.

Don't fool yourself. Jeffries is dumb like a fox. I've seen him in action. Like other anti-2A's, he has an agenda.

Yeah. Jeffries is a real winner. He wants to make a statement. He wants to affect change from the ground up. I applaud his strategy. As he says he wants to push the change from the ground up. If many towns did this he thinks maybe the state and the fed would pay attntion and make the changes from their end. He is correct. This is why I am so adamant that we need to push 'from the ground up' for the change we want to make. I want our statement to be LOUDER and BIGGER. There will be a time for that. Saturday is not it. Staurday is the day to build our support with the Republican Town Committee.

After Saturday I will be asking residents to do some specific things. Be prepared to give me 10 minutes of your time on Monday.

I cannot say this enough. If you have not contacted me at my email [email protected] please do so. There will be some things we will need to discuss that I prefer not to share until they have been put in motion. No offense to my fellow NESers but we are talking OPSEC here. I would not want to give the other side any advantage by knowing what we plan before it happens.

Alex,

Do you know if this guy has an agenda against the club and is trying to go this route to make it close down or is he just against guns in general? Thanks.

James

Oh yeah. I forgot to post. I went to the Bylaw Review Committee meeting tonight. I had the pleasure of eisenhow's company. Good thing a lot of us didn't show up cause it was a tiny room. Present were 2 of the 3 committee members, the town clerk (acting as secretary), a resident who wants to rename East Boston Camps and the rest of the land we purchased in 2008 and contiguos parcels.

We learned a LOT about the process for bylaws being changed and there is a difference between a resident getting a petition and proposing a change and a town dept or committee proposing a change. So the bottom line, unless the BoS decide to pull their proposal (highly unlikely) it will be on the warrant.

We did not reveal our area of concern. The town clerk may have remembered me from an earlier phone call but did not reveal if she remembered which topic I had specifically asked about in the phone call.

We will use our knowledge of the process for our own ends.

Deb,

Reach out to Ken Maurer or Jim Conway. Both teach at Westford Sportsmen's Club and are fairly knowledgeable of MA gun laws.

Is it possible for non-Westford residents to attend your town meetings? If so, I am in a neighboring town if you need an extra body for support? If I can't get in I am happy to stand outside your TM with a sign if that would even help. Happy to do whatever I can to help. I think we all need to be concerned about this, wether we live in that particular town or not. This will spread like a virus.

I am in too, please let me know if a non res can do anything.

Back
Top Bottom