Update 2/21 Westford Ban

I'm a Littleton resident that shops or travels through Westford (495) three or four days a week.

GOAL should expand that email to at least inform those of us in nearby towns of what's going on.

So, in theory, anyone driving up 495 through Westford would be affected too, right?

There's no proposed text at this point, so we don't know. Boston's AWB, for example, only applies to residents. The cost and difficulty of enforcement will likely be a key component of fighting it, because it brings people on board who don't care about guns.

This is far more than a Westford issue. If the state approves a firearms home rule petition for one town in MA, the state will soon become a patchwork of varying local gun laws.

If there's anything people from contingent towns can do to help -please let us know. If this thing goes down in Westford - expect it to spread . So everybody should be concerned.

If Westford bans "assault weapons" in town - I would have to think a lot about whether I want to remain a member at Westford Sportsmans - since that is pretty much all I shoot.

If there are Fudds at WSC that don't realize this will affect them - then they need to be told.

This is far more than a Westford issue. If the state approves a firearms home rule petition for one town in MA, the state will soon become a patchwork of varying local gun laws.

Hasn't that precedent been set legally with Boston? I assume you are referring to political implications at this point and a snowball effect of other towns doing the same in the near term? (which I agree makes this a huge issue)

Penny - I just passed along a link to this thread and your information to one of my co-workers who is a Westford resident - he was already pretty well aware of what was going on - but it always helps to coordinate efforts.

He's also a Westford Sportsman's member.

I just sent the link to another member of the WSC also. He has been a member for a lot of years and is also a Westford resident.

Hopefully this will be discussed at our next monthly meeting. I may have to try and push my wheelchair through the snow and get in there forthat meeting.

I did try and see if there was anything like this going on in Groton but had no luck.

James

FYI: The e-board of the Westford Sportsmens Club is aware of the issue, I e-mailed them first thing yesterday morning. I'm no longer on the e-board but I am positive that the membership will be made aware of it (at some point), either at a meeting, in the newsletter, or an e-mail blast.

Littleton very recently faced a proposal to locate a large slot parlor in town. Many residents feel that a few of the town officers were acting improperly by not involving residents at the earliest possible opportunity. A Facebook page was quickly assembled and grew in less than a week to represent almost 20 percent of the registered voters. Comments not only voiced opposition to gambling in Littleton, but also questioned the suitability of the town officers to continue service. Within that week the proposal was retracted by the Corporation who initiated contact.

The point is that social media can be used to quickly impact local government. Westford gun owners should be enraged, but so should Westford tax payers. It is expensive to assign staff to drafting, reviewing, and submitting ill-advised bylaws, and these funds clearly have better uses in the Westford community.

exo,

Jeffries is a run-of-the-mill liberal who wants to create the utopia that all liberals dream of....a world where there is peace, harmony, and love with an absence of malice and violence.............."and they lived happily ever after".

I don't believe he has an agenda specifically against the club. But "why let a good crisis go to waste"?

Littleton very recently faced a proposal to locate a large slot parlor in town. Many residents feel that a few of the town officers were acting improperly by not involving residents at the earliest possible opportunity. A Facebook page was quickly assembled and grew in less than a week to represent almost 20 percent of the registered voters. Comments not only voiced opposition to gambling in Littleton, but also questioned the suitability of the town officers to continue service. Within that week the proposal was retracted by the Corporation who initiated contact.

The point is that social media can be used to quickly impact local government. Westford gun owners should be enraged, but so should Westford tax payers. It is expensive to assign staff to drafting, reviewing, and submitting ill-advised bylaws, and these funds clearly have better uses in the Westford community.

Good points Dan. This will be part of the larger strategy. I am hoping to have a few key pieces in place by Monday morning. I am not stopping at just getting rid of this ridiculous proposal.

Alex,

Thanks for the reply and information. Norm S dropped by today and he also gave me the rundown of this guy. Not sure what world he isl iving in or trying to be in though.

It does look like PennyPincher and the rest of the folksfrom Westford will be able to come back with a good response and data though.

James

I received the HSC email today and found this thread via search. I am not a Westford resident, but am willing to do what I can to help.

It already is......between the towns that are closed to hunting, closed to discharge it's already a fxcking nightmare.

If Jefferies wants a well regulated militia then the new bylaw should require every "man of the house" and any other person if they want to own a rifle in case Westford comes under attack.

what a tool and if it doesnt pass he is going to get a petition going, he is off his rocker

Actually the militia proposal will likely be on the warrant. It takes 10 residents who are registered voters to sign a petition and then the article must be brought to Town Meeting. I will let you guys know on the 23rd what actually ends up on the warrant for a vote as it has to be set on the 22nd at BoS meeting. A citizen petition that meets the requirements (10 signatures) must appear on the warrant. The BoS can chooe not to propose a bylaw at this meeting but do it at some point in the future.

If Jefferies wants a well regulated militia then the new bylaw should require every "man of the house" and any other person if they want to own a rifle in case Westford comes under attack.

What exactly is his proposal for a "militia" - and what is the take on his reasoning for putting that out there?

There are people out there who would say the reinstitution of the a constitutional militia would be good way back to having an actual constitutional republic - and a good counter force to the current out of control government.

Somehow I don't think that is his intent, but I'm just curious.

What exactly is his proposal for a "militia" - and what is the take on his reasoning for putting that out there?

There are people out there who would say the reinstitution of the a constitutional militia would be good way back to having an actual constitutional republic - and a good counter force to the current out of control government.

He seems to think that if you want to own guns that you should be a part of a well regulated militia. And by joining this well regulated militia we would know who and what kind of guns people have. He doesn't really think we need a militia for the purposes of a militia but wants to know who owns guns and what kind they own. This dude is a crackpot.

well i noticed his peers chuckled at his militia idea and quickly dismissed it so maybe they are coming around and realizing he's a loon

He seems to think that if you want to own guns that you should be a part of a well regulated militia. And by joining this well regulated militia we would know who and what kind of guns people have. He doesn't really think we need a militia for the purposes of a militia but wants to know who owns guns and what kind they own. This dude is a crackpot.

Before you dismiss the idea - maybe you ought to listen to what this guy has to say about what the original militia was and how it directly relates to the 2nd amendment of the Constitution.

If he wants a militia - then maybe we ought to take him up on it - because a true constitutional militia would actually require most people to have firearms at home.

Seriously - you guys need to learn the history a little bit better before you start validating some of these crackpots by disagreeing with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

His email to me:

I am sorry that you feel the way you do. I assure you that I do not consider the issue of de-militarizing the weapons of a town and all towns "a lark". I have yet to hear anyone give a cogent answer as to why military weapons are need in the town of westford or any town for that matter. I do not see the imminent threat that is to be stopped by such ownership. I do see the unfortunate results of these weapons being dispersed within the popoulation with virtually no controls and no knowledge of there whereabouts nor there eventual ownership.
The second ammendment clearly states the need for "a well regulated militia" and yet I see no evidence of this in today's world. At the time of the revolution, Westford did have a militia, it was trained and it was ready to defend the community. Even they stored the military weapons in a garrison not at each home. Today we have no sych structure and no such training or control. Can you cite the last time a semi-automatic weapon with extended magazine was actually used by a militia to defend a community?
regards,
Bob Jefferies

His email to me:

Well I don't necessarily think he is completely off base there.

I think he's wrong about the weaponry ALWAYS being stored in a garrison - the militia often kept their weaponry at home. The Swiss still do - to this day.

But I mean seriously - why are gun owners so pissed off about the government coming to take their guns - in the end?

IT'S BECAUSE WE FEAR AN OUT OF CONTROL GOVERNMENT. That is real core reason. Honestly the crime thing is secondary for the real HARD CORE people.

What was the reasoning of the Founding Fathers for having a militia? CONTROLLED LOCALLY and/or BY THE STATE (NOT the Feds)

IT WAS BECAUSE THEY FEARED AN OUT OF CONTROL GOVERNMENT.

I think you guys might be missing a GOLDEN opportunity to actually bring up the actual idea of re-instituting a REAL militia.

Seriously - listen to what the Edwin Viera guy has to say about that what and why of the original militias.

Ask yourself the question: would I rather lose my gun rights - or would I rather have an ACTUAL militia - that is BOUND LOCALLY - to defend LOCALLY - and is trained and armed and REGULATED (in the original meaning of the word)

Seriously people - he might have gave you a lemon - make some goddammed lemonaid.

If you have contact with the guy - tell him I'll even talk to him about why he is making this proposal.

Seriously - we have to start thinking smart here and looking for our opportunities where they come from.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom