Update 2/21 Westford Ban

Howdy

I was there.

I was expecting a long, drawn out evening. Instead, the meeting opened with one of the selectmen making a motion to withdraw the warrant item. All five selectmen were polled, all agreed it should be removed. The best moment of the evening was when one of the selectmen (actually a woman, sorry, I don't know names) stated that she thought firearms legislation should be dealt with at the State and Federal level, not the local level. She got a standing ovation from the crowd. After all 5 were polled the vote was taken, and it was unanimous to remove the item from the warrant.

A lot of folks got up to leave (and they were very noisy so it was hard to hear). The moderator suggested they sit back down because there were two more items they were going to vote on that the crowd would be concerned with.

The first item was to not allow any more items onto the warrant, including the citizen's petition that basically said the same thing as the original ban item. This was agreed to unanimously and so voted.

The last item was to close the warrant. This too was agreed to unanimously.

Then the meeting was adjourned.

Special thanks to Deb. She worked VERY hard at organizing this! We need to take this as a lesson; we are ALL in this together. Together, we stand, shoulder to shoulder. At town level. At state level. Even at FEDERAL level. We CAN win. Westford proved that tonight. I am on a border town of Westford, but it felt AMAZING to be part of that. Jeffries looked smug, before, and utterly defeated, afterwards. His brief interview after the fact, he pretty much called foul, claiming he didnt know how many were actually residents.

He didn't know how many were residents? Here is an idea, and I will be the first to donate to the cause. Would the Westford residents that were there agree to publish a list in a paper? Even if you were not there, but wanted to be, sign on. Even just a first name and an initial published with a confirmation list to be shown to the board without permission to copy......and this goes without saying: I'm proud as hell to know at least a few Westford guys..........congratulations on standing as one.......lets keep on standing!

They are considering recalling Jeffries from Selectman. Now, I dont know the process, but one gentleman I spoke with, said he plans on going forward with this ASAP.

To me there doesn't seem to be much point to recalling him, he's up for reelection in April. There are two selectmen up this year, Jeffries and Peraner-Sweet. There are at least two other candidates running (nominating petitions are due next week). The two announced candidates are pro-2A. I plan to support both of them as long as they have reasonable positions on other issues, which they seem to so far.

Excellent. So glad. Maybe late here.,
But may I add seeking to tell an even bigger audience to tell jay severin. Lives in ma. Currently broadcasts nationally on Glenn Becks blaze radio. Would be very sympathetic and he and glen would give national attention. I followed Jay since 9/11. Not trying to take away from this. Trying to give more ammo to those that can apparently fight better than I. Just doing so a bit late for this battle.

Glad I made it to the fantastic WIN for the town of Westford! I'm from Haverhill and attended as a non resident. Amazing to watch. I realize this can happen in almost any town these days and wanted to go and show my support......after seeing the overwhelming support I feel good knowing that if this happened in my town you would all have my back as well!

Should be a concerted effort to make sure the selectman who was the lead on bringing this ban up in the first place is not re-elected next year.

Yes. Don't stop when you have momentum on your side. Teach the whole state the lesson!

This.^^^^^

Thanks to all who had a part in accomplishing this. Very well done!!! [smile]

Yes!

Just a reminder - this is NOT over! This battle has been won but there will be many more. We may again have to fight this here in Westford and we certainly have our work cut out at the state and national level. I will not rest until our Second Amendment is fully recognized!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you to all who showed up tonight!

Fire Chief told me we had more than 550 people there!

Absolutely, and a giant THANK YOU to you, for spearheading this. Note how Jefferies pulled back so quickly (coward), but alluded that this isn't over. Time to run him out of town.

Special thanks to Deb. She worked VERY hard at organizing this! We need to take this as a lesson; we are ALL in this together. Together, we stand, shoulder to shoulder. At town level. At state level. Even at FEDERAL level. We CAN win. Westford proved that tonight. I am on a border town of Westford, but it felt AMAZING to be part of that. Jeffries looked smug, before, and utterly defeated, afterwards. His brief interview after the fact, he pretty much called foul, claiming he didnt know how many were actually residents. I dont think he truly understands that the entire STATE was watching this. Had it gone the other way, it could very well prompted other towns to try it. By seeing that many people (it overflowed into the gym), we showed solidarity. It was truly an amazing feeling.
To residents of Westford; I spoke with a couple residents there tonight. They are considering recalling Jeffries from Selectman. Now, I dont know the process, but one gentleman I spoke with, said he plans on going forward with this ASAP. Please look into this-if we show the state how will simply will NOT stand for an infringement, and will get these people removed-that will send as VERY strong message. We have the momentum NOW.

Absolutely. I wanted to go, but was at work late, and had to get back to my kids. I know that this one was covered, and realized we can't attend every event, or risk getting burned out. I will be supportive, however, and try to focus on the state issues, and those local to me, always ready to assist on here, or in other ways not involving actual travel to the site, though that is also VERY important.

Congratulations to Deb and others in attendance that helped get this revoked.

Now onto defeating those selectmen.

Yes!

You need to get these to the AP and the Statehouse News Service! The AP will make it go national, and the Statehouse News will send a salvo to all the politicians.

Great to see such a good turnout. Selectmen member Valerie Wormell got a standing round of applause when she commented that such matters should be handled at the state and federal level. Following which we were admonished by Selectmen Chair Kelly Ross for being overly expressive. While concluding the matter, Mr. Ross noted that he could understand the disappointment of those who supported the amendment and noted there were numerous places they could get support and information. Too bad he didn't also note that there are places for us that were against the amendment could also get support. Definitely time to change the membership of the BOS in upcoming elections.

I was expecting a long, drawn out evening. Instead, the meeting opened with one of the selectmen making a motion to withdraw the warrant item. All five selectmen were polled, all agreed it should be removed. The best moment of the evening was when one of the selectmen (actually a woman, sorry, I don't know names) stated that she thought firearms legislation should be dealt with at the State and Federal level, not the local level. She got a standing ovation from the crowd. After all 5 were polled the vote was taken, and it was unanimous to remove the item from the warrant.

A lot of folks got up to leave (and they were very noisy so it was hard to hear). The moderator suggested they sit back down because there were two more items they were going to vote on that the crowd would be concerned with. ...

I am not so sure about the "at the state and federal level" comment. On the one hand, I think things are going to happen at the state versus federal level. For this, we need to be careful, and get state reps elected. The worse part is we may see more Westfords, so really need to be on our game.

Never leave the meeting until it is over. They often bring things back up for reconsideration.

Video Landing Page - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

NRA President David Keene speaks about the Westford proposal in Cambridge tonight.

Did the NRA provide any help on this, and how does Cambridge figure in to all this?

Last edited:
I woke up at 1 AM and this was on this news. I was very psyched. Congrats to the guys in Westford and anyone and everyone who made the effort to go to those meetings.

Things can get done![cheers][cheers][cheers]

Jefferies is one of those who has a lot to lose if it ever breaks down. I really don't feel sorry for him. He made his bed, the little freedom stealing troll.

Excellent work Deb getting the troops rallied. For all of you who showed up last night, THANK YOU!

To me there doesn't seem to be much point to recalling him, he's up for reelection in April. There are two selectmen up this year, Jeffries and Peraner-Sweet. There are at least two other candidates running (nominating petitions are due next week). The two announced candidates are pro-2A. I plan to support both of them as long as they have reasonable positions on other issues, which they seem to so far.

These other 2 candidates who are Pro2A will be at the Westford Pro 2A meeting tonight at the Westford Sportsmens Club at 7:30. They will be answering questions about their positions on other issues.

Did the NRA provide any help on this, and how does Cambridge figure in to all this?

The NRA has been swamped. There are towns and states all over banging the gun ban drum. Then they have the federallevel to watch. The NRA did send out an email alert last Tuesday about what was going on in Westford and I know that it was information they received from GOAL.

We need to make sure we eliminate these small fires so we can fight the realy big fights. Stay vigilant!

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone that made this happen!!! Let's keep up the fight. I am "meeting" with the major of Somerville to discuss gun rights via conference call. I could really use some help preparing. Please PM me if you have any advice. Thanks.

Re: Westford Ban - UPDATE 2/20

Both Jefferies and Sullivan pushed for this and will continue. Both need to be voted out.

Need to come up with a label for these folks. I hate they labeled all the supporters of 2a "gun nuts".

Very glad to see this on the news this morning. I wish I could have been there. Nice job everyone, and thank you!

Both Jefferies and Sullivan pushed for this and will continue. Both need to be voted out.

Need to come up with a label for these folks. I hate they labeled all the supporters of 2a "gun nuts".

Tyrants.

The NRA has been swamped. There are towns and states all over banging the gun ban drum. Then they have the federallevel to watch. The NRA did send out an email alert last Tuesday about what was going on in Westford and I know that it was information they received from GOAL.

We need to make sure we eliminate these small fires so we can fight the realy big fights. Stay vigilant!

I knew most of that. The reason I asked is that it seems the news always turns to the NRA and GOAL. They turned to GOAL when Comm2A is suing the 4 cities, and now the NRA. The news needs to speak to YOU.

Second, a good use of the NRA is for their email blasts. A lot of people belong, and if they hit 100,000 Mass people, it will certainly at least get some of them talking if not active. Not everyone belongs to NES or follows this stuff closely.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Guys, I thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul -- wins like this are the reason I tell people about NES and the intensity of the community we have online and increasingly, on the streets, in the newspapers and at the legislative hearings.

I was proud to stand with you in Boston, I'm proud to stand with you (in spirit) in Westford and am all that much more motivated to do more in the coming months, years etc, however long it takes, to make sure our rights are protected now and into the future.

We ARE all in this together and I'm overjoyed to see men like Jeffries put in their place. I wasn't able to be part of this fight but as always, you guys inspire me to do more in the future.

Kick ass job, guys!

Congratulations on winning this battle.

I live in a town that also has a town meeting form of government. My suggestion to you would be to prepare a warrant article for next year's meeting. Fight fire with fire.

Whereas first responders are really second responders it is incumbent upon every household to provide their own protection.

Whereas each individual is responsible for their own protection as decided by the US Supreme Court, each home should have at least one licensed individual trained to handle firearms.

Whereas the safety of our citizens is of outmost importance, each home should have at least one functioning firearm stored as specified by the State of Massachusetts.

Make them scramble.

Back
Top Bottom