Upcoming Mass Gun Control hearings...

Most agreed Mike S. I hope to testify at one and be in attendance at another to show my support and listen to the other testimonies.

Your point on the actual testimonies is huge - they cannot be all out attacks regarding your personal feelings for the government or anyone in particular, but rather why certain elements of the proposed legislature will be destructive to the rights of citizens and unrealistic in preventing criminals from doing as they please.

Any suggestions on specific subjects to address in a testimony? Statistics? Efficacy of previous gun control attempts?

The proposal is that any and all 'high capacity' firearms will have to be stored at a state-approved facility such as a gun club. You will not be allowed to keep them at your house. You can only transport them from the club to a gunsmith or to a competition at another club. Makes confiscation much easier, and helps the gun runners know where to find thousands of unattended AR's and AK's.

Even Linsky has admitted that there are no facilities in the state that offer off site storage.

I don't recall his exact words, but by passing this law, he was hopeful that ranges/gun clubs would pick up on the idea and offer the service.

Couple of things to note here.

There is no need for people to testify at multiple hearings, in fact it might be counter productive to show up at every hearing and give the same testimony.

If you are attending, please be sure to print out and bring a signed testimony. Keep it brief and on point, give them small bits that they can easily digest.

Remember this isn't Linsky's traveling propaganda show, these are official public hearings by a committee, the testimony from which will sway the voting committee members.

Mods, if you could merge this and the thread I started it would be great.

Thanks.

Know the rules in advance...

Committee Rules for 2013-2014

A. PUBLIC HEARINGS

1. All public hearings shall be conducted by either the Senate or House Chair.

2. In the absence of both Chairs, the hearing shall be conducted by the Senate or House Vice-Chair.

3. In the absence of the Chairs and Vice-Chairs, the hearings shall be conducted by the ranking senior member of the majority party, as determined by years of service on the committee.

4. The presiding member shall open and close Committee proceedings, shall have general supervision of all committee hearings and shall preserve order and decorum. The presiding member shall use his/her discretion in scheduling the order in which proposals shall be heard at any public hearing of the committee.

5. No electronic audio or visual recording devices may be operated during a Committee proceeding without prior consent of both Chairmen, or the presiding Chairman if only one Chairman is present. If neither Chairman is present at the hearing, no electronic audio or visual recording devices may be operated.

6. The testimony of any witness shall be limited to three minutes. The presiding member, at his/her discretion, may extend the length of oral testimony for any witness.

7. Committee members may question witnesses only when they have been recognized for that purpose by the presiding member. All committee members’ questions shall be directed through the presiding member. The presiding member may limit the time for questioning witnesses after giving due consideration to the importance of the subject matter, the number of petitions scheduled for a hearing and the length of time available.

8. All questions put to witnesses before the committee shall be pertinent to the subject matter before the committee, and all testimony given by witnesses shall be pertinent to the subject matter before the committee.

9. After giving due consideration to the complexity and potential impact of the matter before the Committee, the number of matters scheduled to be heard by the Committee and the available time, the presiding member may restrict repetitive testimony and may limit both the time allowed for testimony and questioning by Committee members.

10. All persons intending to submit written testimony to the committee shall furnish copies of such written testimony to the committee staff within 24 hours of the hearing. At the discretion of the Chairs this rule may be waived for an extension of time. Testimony may also be submitted by electronic means.

11. All persons testifying orally before the committee shall furnish the following information to the committee staff before each hearing:

1. Name
2. Organization – if any
3. Address
4. Telephone number
5. Email address – if applicable
6. The bill on which the person is testifying
7. His or her position on the bill – support or oppose

12. Public hearings may be held in the absence of a quorum.

13. The Committee need not hold public hearings, however, in cases where:

A public hearing on the bill has already been held before another joint committee with jurisdiction over the subject matter and a second public hearing before the Committee is not otherwise required;
The Chairs agree to waive the public hearing requirement based on their joint determination that public necessity so requires it; or
The Chairs jointly agree to discharge a bill that has been inappropriately assigned to the Committee.

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

Committee members (I have no idea where any of these people stand on gun control legislation, or what their GOAL rating is)...

https://malegislature.gov/Committees/Joint/J22

The ads are blocking out the when and where of the meetings.
Could (please) someone repeat the places and dates where the meetings
are going to happen?
Thanks, ggboy

The ads are blocking out the when and where of the meetings.
Could (please) someone repeat the places and dates where the meetings
are going to happen?
Thanks, ggboy

The two that have been identified are:
- Cape Cod Community College at noon on Wednesday, June 19, 2013
- Assumption College in Worcester Wednesday, June 26, 2013 (Time TBA)

GOAL is sending out updates as info becomes available

So, how far has GOAL and Its time 2A gotten in organizing the clubs for this? It is no surprise, and we really need to rally the troops for these hearings.

Also, it would be good to start putting together well spoken individuals who can present well. Also, maybe a petitition from every club would carry some weight. Mike Moore is vice chair of the committee, and he has a 1st Shots coming up at our club. Now is the chance to get him to speak out for us, and not just sit there and nod!

I'm not ready to jump ship yet but when I read stuff like this, I just want to cut and run. Just live in a storage container some where north of here for the rest of my days. I'd be going alone, the girls want stuff like toilets and electricity. Seriously though, if this crap passes, I will speed my time table up considerably, with a lot of concessions though [sad2]

If the current laws changed, all of my formerly legal stuff would immediately go North ahead of me,
or until the laws changed back [rofl].

Letter Re: Oppressed Owners Storing Their Guns Out of State - SurvivalBlog.com

Last edited:
per GOAL's facebook page

Gun Hearing(s) Schedule - New Information!

GOAL now has a more complete schedule of the 5 “gun hearings” that will be held by the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security. The first 4 hearings are scheduled to take place outside the State House. We will be counting on our members to attend these hearings, speak out, be heard and begin the process of restoration of our freedom.

- Cape Cod Community College at noon Wednesday, June 19, 2013

- Assumption College, Worcester MA, 10:00 am Wednesday, June 26, 2013

- Location/Time TBA - Middleton MA, Tuesday July 23, 2013

- American International College, Springfield MA, time TBA, Friday August 2, 2013

- Gardner Auditorium (State House), Boston MA. Date/Time TBA, (September)

There will be an extensive list of bills, reported over 60, that will be heard at these outside hearings.

As more detailed information is provided, we will alert our members. We will be encouraging our members to attend your local hearing, provide written testimony and to speak if you are comfortable doing so.

We will have information packets and more information available in the next week, please stay tuned!

Game on... (emphasis mine)

The first of 5 public hearings on gun bills in MA will take place on Cape Cod in West Barnstable next to Hyannis. IF we want new and stronger gun laws in MA, we will need to pack all 5 hearings and a strong presence at the first hearing will be key. There will be media attention and we will send a message to our elected officials that moms (dads, aunts, uncles, grandparents) of the Commonwealth will not accept anything less than the strongest gun laws in the country.

https://www.facebook.com/events/614923465185149/?ref=22

Last edited:
The hearings will no doubt follow standard formula:

1. Many committee members in attendance

2. Important and pre-selected people allowed to speak, with a token slot given to GOAL

3. Ranking committee members leave. A junior member or two remains.

4. Ordinary folk are allowed to speak while the junior committee members politely ignore them.

"Outside the State House"?!?... WTF is up with that?

I can see it probably working more to our advantage as the areas outside 495 tend to be more 2ndA friendly (more of our people likely to attend), but I highly doubt it was planned with that in mind.

Anyone know if this is a common practice?

Linsky was promoting these at the forum in Bedford Monday night. I'd agree that the goal is to have more people hear from the gun control folks.

Linsky introduces himself by stating his credentials as a former prosecutor who prosecuted (I forget how many) homicide cases, and stating that seeing a dead child sticks with you, hence his 35 year effort to pass laws that will cut down on senseless deaths.

Linsky was promoting these at the forum in Bedford Monday night. I'd agree that the goal is to have more people hear from the gun control folks.

Linsky introduces himself by stating his credentials as a former prosecutor who prosecuted (I forget how many) homicide cases, and stating that seeing a dead child sticks with you, hence his 35 year effort to pass laws that will cut down on senseless deaths.
Yes, shameless.

The hearings will no doubt follow standard formula:

1. Many committee members in attendance

2. Important and pre-selected people allowed to speak, with a token slot given to GOAL

3. Ranking committee members leave. A junior member or two remains.

4. Ordinary folk are allowed to speak while the junior committee members politely ignore them.

So, is there any value in attending and/or testifying?

If Worcester is 3pm or later I can make that one.

Ridiculous that they seem to be scheduling these things in the middle of a work day.

They will pass any retarted thing they can just to move the ball forward, even if its a millimeter.

So, is there any value in attending and/or testifying?
YES...

You can bet that Rosenthal and Bloomberg will mobilize the misinformation machine.

There clearly is no will to push through a CT/NY style freight train, we need reinforce this.

People saying "nothing will change" is how we got here and this is a profound perversion of where we were before, so clearly it can change and get much, much worse.

It's by design.

Yup. (generalizing here) Gun owners= hard working, law abiding folk who have prior obligations. Anti gunners=unemployed lazy leaches with nothing better to do in the middle of the day. They want to preach to the choir, so they hold the hearings when the majority of the opposition will be indisposed.

Yup. (generalizing here) Gun owners= hard working, law abiding folk who have prior obligations. Anti gunners=unemployed lazy leaches with nothing better to do in the middle of the day. They want to preach to the choir, so they hold the hearings when the majority of the opposition will be indisposed.

Not entirely true. Several members of the panel are actually on our side. They are doing this in 5 areas, to get as many people to testify, either verbally, or written, as possible. They are well aware people work. They know people will have to take time off. If your rights aren't important enough to take a day off from work, and submit, at least, written testimony, then you are the problem, plain and simple. I am submitting written testimony, and plan on speaking too. I am doing at least one event, maybe more. I, like everyone else, work. I am hording my time off for my honeymoon in October. If that gets cut short, so be it. Some things are more important.

sent via carrier pigeon from a secret squirrel camp

If Worcester is 3pm or later I can make that one.

Ridiculous that they seem to be scheduling these things in the middle of a work day.

My I'm sorry that you are personally inconvenienced in your fight for your civil rights. I'm sure that Washington and Jefferson had to take time off to fight for theirs, come to think of it so did MLK. Guess we know what are priorities are, don't we?

Sadly you guys in MA are fighting an uphill battle; kind of pissing in the wind.
What makes you think that you can win when you cannot even keep the D *******s out of office?
So glad that I now live in a "free state".
Constitutional Carry is "the shit" and should be the law of the land.

smitty

Sadly you guys in MA are fighting an uphill battle; kind of pissing in the wind.
What makes you think that you can win when you cannot even keep the D *******s out of office?
So glad that I now live in a "free state".
Constitutional Carry is "the shit" and should be the law of the land.

smitty
a. Change can happen, that's how we got here.
b. This happened because of people doing nothing assuming that they would be pissing in the wind.
c. The reality is that most people are clueless. Elected, gun-owner, non-gun-owner alike.

We are legislating into a vacuum of information that we as gun-owners have allowed to exist. It is each and every one of our jobs as Americans to get our ass out there and make sure politicians serve us. Waiting until you see the whites in their eyes is the delusional and lazy course of the man who is betting things won't change enough to hurt him before he dies.

Anyone from se mass heading to the cape this Wednesday? I'd be interested in car pooling! Also any advice on written or verbal testimony? I've never attended something like this before nevermind testifying I'm not adverse to public speaking so I may give it a go but looking for tips!

Back
Top Bottom