Two Down At Bob's Tactical

"Aftermath" is one of them along with "Crime Scene Cleanup & Restoration Resources"

Anything biological they take care of. Not sure if it's a bigger deal being in a lead contaminated area on top of the bio-hazard.

Hum interesting. I wonder if it just goes back on the shelf. That would be kind of eery.

I'll just say that it's up to the owner of the hardware to decide what happens - that said, I've not seen a 500 or a 460 for rent at Original Bob's in a few years...

For those of you that might go there, do the math.

Also, for those that have had ad experiences - what type of adjustments would you like to see to make it safer overall?
  • Range Nazi's pointing out every infraction
  • signage indicating safe direction
  • instruction at the counter
  • RSO type interaction
  • utilization of buckets for unattended hardware

And so on - please feel free to be constructive and help a range be more safe for all users.

I'll just say that it's up to the owner of the hardware to decide what happens - that said, I've not seen a 500 or a 460 for rent at Original Bob's in a few years...

Also, for those that have had ad experiences - what type of adjustments would you like to see to make it safer overall?
  • RSO type interaction

And so on - please feel free to be constructive and help a range be more safe for all users.
instruction at the counter for rented guns and a basic explaination of safety rules for everyone before they go in would be an improvement. Add one staff member to observe whats going on....not a nazi....but someone to pfofessionally instruct anyone doing stupid ****ing shit like loading a fire arm at the rear table then turning around to go to the firing line. Ive been to a public range that requires rented guns stay in a provided tupperware container until the shooter is on the line. Not a bad idea. None of these would prevent suicide but would be a safer range especially when renting to people who have ZERO experience with guns.

I am a newbie and went to Granite state range to few time, they almost always have a staff in the range to instruct. Be told few times for some bad behavior, I didn't feel violated, actually learned a lot. Not a bad idea.

I go there all the time, seen them turn away people that came in alone and even a girl this past weekend who had no id? Wtf? They also have suicide prevention flyers all over the place. Seems like they take it very seriously.

Granite state range made me call a friend/family member to rent one of their handguns. The call was to ask questions regarding me possibly being suicidal.

Does bob's do this?
I was at Granite just a couple of weeks ago and had to call 3 different people until I found someone who'd answer the phone. They're definitely serious about it. Well run place.

That's weird, I've been to Granite twice and they haven't done that (call to verify you're suicidal) even though it says so in the paperwork if you're alone.

Maybe cause I brought my own firearm?

Correct. If you bring your own gun or you come with someone else, they don't require a call. I'm guessing that might change now.

Selfish jerks. You wanna off yourselves, fine. Seriously. But why do you have to @#$% it up for the rest of us?

• RSO type interaction

I'd like to see someone at the counter outline the rules and maybe give them a sheet with basic safety printed on it. And definitely an RO watching the range. Not to be a Nazi, but to kick a customer out if they do something retarded, like point a loaded gun at me or shoot the ceiling.

The first time I went there the guy handed me a gun, asked me if I knew how to load it, and pointed me towards the range. Didn't even have me sign the (required) waiver. I didn't have any trouble but for someone who didn't know how to shoot that could get messy. The people in the lane next to me had no clue what they were doing and they acted angry when I asked them if they'd please aim at the target.

Last edited:
If I personally owned a shop with a range, the only way in hell you'd be allowed to shoot is personally supervised by an employee on an individual basis.

IMO, having a range in your shop and it not being the sole point of your business is a huge responsibility and I'm surprised they exist at all in that setting.

If a stranger walks into your house, would you hand them a firearm?

If I personally owned a shop with a range, the only way in hell you'd be allowed to shoot is personally supervised by an employee on an individual basis.

IMO, having a range in your shop and it not being the sole point of your business is a huge responsibility and I'm surprised they exist at all in that setting.

I believe this is why The Gun Parlor is doing a members only range, no public access. Granted something could still happen, but I think the likelyhood goes down substantially.

Thank you to those that responded so far - it's nice to see contributions, not just bashing. I go there because it's cheaper per year for the range time I use. That said, I need a range for rifle and shotgun stuff...

Employ an RSO for each person coming in? You'll definitely create jobs till you go out of business.

I like the idea of rent before you make a decision, but maybe ending the you dont need a license to shoot unless accompanied by someone who is might be a good idea?

Personally, I dont shoot a lot, financially it makes more sense for me to "pay to play" if you will. I wish there was a range that didnt rent to the unlicensed, hell I dont care if they even rent at all I guess. Just someplace that I can go and know that the chances of being safe are much higher the 4-6 times a year that I go currently

I like the idea of rent before you make a decision, but maybe ending the you dont need a license to shoot unless accompanied by someone who is might be a good idea?

Personally, I dont shoot a lot, financially it makes more sense for me to "pay to play" if you will. I wish there was a range that didnt rent to the unlicensed, hell I dont care if they even rent at all I guess. Just someplace that I can go and know that the chances of being safe are much higher the 4-6 times a year that I go currently

I get where you are coming from, but I don't think a place would be able to stay in business only renting to those who are licensed unless they are mainly a training center in which case I would figure the handful of times you want to go they might be busy running a class.

I know 4-6 times a year doesn't seem like enough to justify joining a club in your mind, but even if you went 6 times a year its almost a wash financially if the club is $120 a year in dues. For example the club I go to is $130 and the indoor range is open 24/7. A pay range like Bobs was $20 to rent a lane, thats 6.5 trips before its a wash except you can go any hour of any day and likely get a lane! Also, it has facilities to shoot archery, trap/skeet, or rifles which most pay ranges don't have.

I can tell you I was in the boat of just going to a pay range for a bit (MFL) but then I decided to join a club and I went from shooting 6 times a year maybe to going 10-12 times in 6 months, and then I started shooting trap and have probably gone on average once a week for about a year.

Employ an RSO for each person coming in? You'll definitely create jobs till you go out of business.

Which is why I'd never have a public range. It's either individual RSO, or deal with the constant muzzle sweeping that just invites a mistake.

If you're going to run an indoor range, I think it makes more senses for it to be separate as its own business and run as a private club. You can have screening methods and do a two session one on one orientation or something.

There's not much you can do to stop a person hell bent on committing suicide, but you can certainly limit the opportunity by not handing over firearms to unknown people without at least introductory supervision. It's a deterrent, not a solution.

Last edited:
I thought the last person who offed themselves at Bobs used the SW 500 although I may be misremembering. What do they do with those guns anyway? Do they just clean em up and put em back on the shelf for rent?

Carve a notch in the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the industry standard for machine gun rentals, however, that is also the only kind of range rental where the economics support 1:1 supervision.

If you're going to run an indoor range, I think it makes more senses for it to be separate as its own business and run as a private club.
And make sure that your attorney has set up an unpierceable corporate veil.

I get where you are coming from, but I don't think a place would be able to stay in business only renting to those who are licensed unless they are mainly a training center in which case I would figure the handful of times you want to go they might be busy running a class.

I know 4-6 times a year doesn't seem like enough to justify joining a club in your mind, but even if you went 6 times a year its almost a wash financially if the club is $120 a year in dues. For example the club I go to is $130 and the indoor range is open 24/7. A pay range like Bobs was $20 to rent a lane, thats 6.5 trips before its a wash except you can go any hour of any day and likely get a lane! Also, it has facilities to shoot archery, trap/skeet, or rifles which most pay ranges don't have.

I can tell you I was in the boat of just going to a pay range for a bit (MFL) but then I decided to join a club and I went from shooting 6 times a year maybe to going 10-12 times in 6 months, and then I started shooting trap and have probably gone on average once a week for about a year.

$130 a year is a no brainer for me depending on where it is. What club do you go to? Most of the cheaper places I have seen are outdoor only, and I'd rather have a bit of comfort in the winter.

$130 a year is a no brainer for me depending on where it is. What club do you go to? Most of the cheaper places I have seen are outdoor only, and I'd rather have a bit of comfort in the winter.

MVGC in Malden is $100 year/dues
24/7 indoor access. Pistol only with the exception of .22LR rifles.

I'm also a member in Shirley. Outdoor only and dues (for now) are $75/year

MVGC is a great place if all you care about is shooting pistol. They could improve the lighting a bit IMO but it's otherwise a pretty solid range.

MVGC is a great place if all you care about is shooting pistol. They could improve the lighting a bit IMO but it's otherwise a pretty solid range.

for now, all I am interested in is pistol. I forgot about MVGC thanks!

think bangers from lawrence holding the gun horizontal while holding up their pants with their other hand

Funny how you put it that way. I went to my favorite range last weekend with my younger brother. Both of us have considerable shooting experience with a wide variety of handguns, long guns, and select-fire weaponry as firearms instructors. Three shooting lanes over are three women and their teenage sons (sagging pants), shooting a rental gun for the first time. One of the sons draws a Glock 17 from his sagging drawers and points it horizontally like he walked out of a Spike Lee film. He fires, misses the target and shoots the target in the next lane, meanwhile his mother and his white-trash girlfriend (who is at least 30 yo) are recording him shooting with their iPhones. I tell my brother that I'm going over and put an end to this nonsense. When I speak to the one mother, she tells me that she's thinking about buying a Glock for protection and giving it to her son. Clearly, he's not anywhere near 21 years of age. I give her a little friendly advice, tell her to stop her son. She taps him on the shoulder, I ask to see the gun for a minute, drop the magazine, rack the slide, and take it back up to the rental counter. When I get up there, I see that both of the woman's sons are under 18 (their Ohio Driver's License is vertical and has a red stripe across the top). I informed the "range officer" who is monitoring remotely via several closed circuit cameras that the mother was not properly supervising her sons.

It seems that this type of situation can and does happen everywhere, even at some of the better managed ranges.

Funny how you put it that way. I went to my favorite range last weekend with my younger brother. Both of us have considerable shooting experience with a wide variety of handguns, long guns, and select-fire weaponry as firearms instructors. Three shooting lanes over are three women and their teenage sons (sagging pants), shooting a rental gun for the first time. One of the sons draws a Glock 17 from his sagging drawers and points it horizontally like he walked out of a Spike Lee film. He fires, misses the target and shoots the target in the next lane, meanwhile his mother and his white-trash girlfriend (who is at least 30 yo) are recording him shooting with their iPhones. I tell my brother that I'm going over and put an end to this nonsense. When I speak to the one mother, she tells me that she's thinking about buying a Glock for protection and giving it to her son. Clearly, he's not anywhere near 21 years of age. I give her a little friendly advice, tell her to stop her son. She taps him on the shoulder, I ask to see the gun for a minute, drop the magazine, rack the slide, and take it back up to the rental counter. When I get up there, I see that both of the woman's sons are under 18 (their Ohio Driver's License is vertical and has a red stripe across the top). I informed the "range officer" who is monitoring remotely via several closed circuit cameras that the mother was not properly supervising her sons.

It seems that this type of situation can and does happen everywhere, even at some of the better managed ranges.

Did you explain to this woman that buying a gun to give to her son is illegal? Not that types like this care.

Did you explain to this woman that buying a gun to give to her son is illegal? Not that types like this care.

Dunno about OH law but there are a shitload of states where it is perfectly OK legally to gift a handgun to an 18 year old. "Legal" and "Good Idea" are two different things, mind you.

-Mike

Heh well I belong at Andover. Though there are a few caveats such as:

Entrance Fee (1 time join payment, it helps with capital improvements and whatnot $250 at the moment.)
Delay from Applying to Getting Access (Andover is accepting for June 2016 right now as they have capped how many people can join per month)

However in the overall case there are a bunch of clubs that have lower entrance fees and equal or less dues per year. (I think some people have mentioned them within this thread)

Also, lots of clubs offer benefits well outside of what you can get at a range. (Action Pits, Pin Matches, Discounted Classes, weekly poker game, etc) and so the exact economics may or may not make sense for 4-6 times per year. However I also know people who come for the Sunday breakfast ($5) and then sit around and talk with friends at the club or go and watch TV by the fire so its not like you only have to go to the club when you want to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom