• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Two Down At Bob's Tactical

Which is why I'd never have a public range. It's either individual RSO, or deal with the constant muzzle sweeping that just invites a mistake.

If you're going to run an indoor range, I think it makes more senses for it to be separate as its own business and run as a private club. You can have screening methods and do a two session one on one orientation or something.

There's not much you can do to stop a person hell bent on committing suicide, but you can certainly limit the opportunity by not handing over firearms to unknown people without at least introductory supervision. It's a deterrent, not a solution.

If it was me at this point I would consider going private membership.
It's still no guarantee it couldn't happen again , but I don't know how much more it's going to take before they end up shut down.

In Ohio it is illegal to give a gift of any firearm to anyone who is under 18 and illegal to give anyone under 21 a handgun who is 21. I informed her of the same and, of course she tried to justify her intended purchase as necessary because her son needed to defend himself. My brother, who is a federal law enforcement officer (member of the US Marshal's Northern Ohio Violent Fugitives Task Force) told her that if her son was caught with a gun she would go to federal pound you in the ass prison. She didn't pay him any attention until he badged and ID'd her.

Dunno about OH law but there are a shitload of states where it is perfectly OK legally to gift a handgun to an 18 year old. "Legal" and "Good Idea" are two different things, mind you.

-Mike

I agree. I tell people that take my CCW m and Personal Protection classes that while it may be legal for you to open carry or carry concealed, it may not be a good idea. Some people (like this mother) shouldn't carry at all. Likewise, not everyone should own a gun, especially someone like her whom I know is some day going to make the news.

I'll just say that it's up to the owner of the hardware to decide what happens - that said, I've not seen a 500 or a 460 for rent at Original Bob's in a few years...

For those of you that might go there, do the math.

Also, for those that have had ad experiences - what type of adjustments would you like to see to make it safer overall?
  • Range Nazi's pointing out every infraction
  • signage indicating safe direction
  • instruction at the counter
  • RSO type interaction
  • utilization of buckets for unattended hardware

And so on - please feel free to be constructive and help a range be more safe for all users.

Rso in the range.
When my wife and I went to test out a gun for her to possibly purchase he offered instruction on it. I turned down the instruction but asked him to show my wife. The gentlemen who rents the guns usually has his back turned from the range facing out into the store. He does glance back into the range every few minutes but that is it.

If he actually policed the range (which is a must for me when you have people with zero firearms experience) it would be a lot better. I know this would not of prevented a suicide but it wouldn't be such a scary place to shoot.

I went on a Saturday with the wife and it was scary. I won't do that again. I did however stop in there a few weeks ago on a wed. Around 1:00 1 other guy in the range who wasn't an idiot and I had a pleasant experience.

But for me to ever return during a busy time that place needs much more supervision.

Sounds like they made the changes I was expecting. Hopefully, they will be able to survive like this.

While losing the business of people who dont have a license, and are essentially looking to play.....I think it will likely help the experienced shooters who wouldnt come anywhere near that place due to safety concerns start to return. Will it be enough though? I dont think their gun shop does enough volume to carry them

I think that every range needs to have a range safety officer present while anyone is shooting. Having someone sitting behind a desk monitoring on the video camera is not sufficient or a prudent practice. While the range safety officer present on the range may not have entirely prevented the tragedy that occurred at Bob's Tactical, it may have prevented wanted one of the deaths. While it may seem fun t while it may seem fundamental or even silly, I think that arrows painted on the floor or on the walls to remind the less observant what "down range" means. One range I used to shoot at had the range safety officer go out to your stall, review safety procedures and watch as you load the gun that you're shooting, regardless of whether you own the gun or it's a rental. Unfortunately, Russo's went tits up.

I think that every range needs to have a range safety officer present while anyone is shooting. Having someone sitting behind a desk monitoring on the video camera is not sufficient or a prudent practice. While the range safety officer present on the range may not have entirely prevented the tragedy that occurred at Bob's Tactical, it may have prevented wanted one of the deaths. While it may seem fun t while it may seem fundamental or even silly, I think that arrows painted on the floor or on the walls to remind the less observant what "down range" means. One range I used to shoot at had the range safety officer go out to your stall, review safety procedures and watch as you load the gun that you're shooting, regardless of whether you own the gun or it's a rental. Unfortunately, Russo's went tits up.

Yes!...An RSO at every range! While your at it you may want to consider having a driving instructor ride along in the car with you.

Yes!...An RSO at every range! While your at it you may want to consider having a driving instructor ride along in the car with you.

Or a lifeguard on duty at every pool...including the one in your backyard.

I had a long conversation with Aaron yesterday about all things shop related up there. Look for the thread under the "Gun Shops and Reviews" forum.
So someone else owns the shop as of 2-1-16 then this happened! Damn

if someone is hell bent on offing their self then it's going to happen regardless of RSO presence.

RSOs at public ranges might be okay in a general sense, but I'll be walking if there is a you-can-shoot-only-if-a-recess-lady-is-present at a private club.

Not unexpected, but stinks for those who don't have a license and want to shoot. I remember going to Bob's a few years back when I was waiting for my LTC to be approved. I had a great time with my friend. One of my co-workers recently went to Bob's with her husband for their anniversary. She'll be disappointed to know that she can't go back.

I'd be surprised if most of their customers had licenses, or even shot a gun before. Probably will do a lot to improve the safety but it kinda defeats the attraction of a rental range.

LOL. yeah, ok guy.

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Yeah, like every street corner needs a DHS agent to stop terrorism.

I agree. I tell people that take my CCW m and Personal Protection classes that while it may be legal for you to open carry or carry concealed, it may not be a good idea. Some people (like this mother) shouldn't carry at all. Likewise, not everyone should own a gun, especially someone like her whom I know is some day going to make the news.

Great idea on paper but unfortunately the people that shouldn't own a gun who do aren't self aware enough to realize they shouldn't.

It's an entirely imperfect system which is why the anti's like it or not actually have a solid leg to stand on. Because people do stupid crap with guns. If you think I'm full of crap please YouTube kid tries out bullet proof vest. There's one where the kid let's his cousin shoot him at a redneck barbecue.

Now I'm not saying I'm pushing the agenda but we as lawful gun owners who do nothing but follow the laws. We have come to accept that a small percentage of idiots will get their hands on a gun and do something dumb with it. And some of those people are going to get hurt. And we just move along because at the end of the day there isn't jack you can do about it

Great idea on paper but unfortunately the people that shouldn't own a gun who do aren't self aware enough to realize they shouldn't.

It's an entirely imperfect system which is why the anti's like it or not actually have a solid leg to stand on. Because people do stupid crap with guns. If you think I'm full of crap please YouTube kid tries out bullet proof vest. There's one where the kid let's his cousin shoot him at a redneck barbecue.

Now I'm not saying I'm pushing the agenda but we as lawful gun owners who do nothing but follow the laws. We have come to accept that a small percentage of idiots will get their hands on a gun and do something dumb with it. And some of those people are going to get hurt. And we just move along because at the end of the day there isn't jack you can do about it
The anti's have a solid leg to stand on? Are you on crack?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

So many mixed messages in this thread - It's hard to decipher what is sarcasm and what is constructive criticism...

I'm asking you all here to provide some clear, constructive suggestions for a safe-operating but not over bearing range facility that is open to the general public - provided they have taken the necessary classed and have received the required permit needed to own and operate firearms in the state of Massachusetts.

It's as simple as it sounds.

What I've really gleaned out of the bashing on this thread - regardless of the inspiration of it - are the following items:
  1. "House Rules Instruction" - this is how we all do it here because Safety
  2. Safety - Because Safety for you and those around you
  3. Respect - Be respectful of the equipment, your neighbors (meaning those around you) and yourself - Also the "House Rules"
  4. Infractions will get you:
  • A gentle reminder
  • A stern talking to
  • Ejected
  • Based on the level and frequency of infractions.

Is that a fair breakdown?

Last edited:
So many mixed messages in this thread - It's hard to decipher what is sarcasm and what is constructive criticism...

I'm asking you all here to provide some clear, constructive suggestions for a safe-operating but not over bearing range facility that is open to the general public - provided they have taken the necessary classed and have received the required permit needed to own and operate firearms in the state of Massachusetts.

What I've really gleaned out of the bashing on this thread - regardless of the inspiration of it - are the following items:
  3. Respect - Be respectful of the equipment, your neighbors (meaning those around you) and yourself - Also the "House Rules"
  • A gentle reminder
  • A stern talking to
  • Ejected

You're asking for a unicorn. Their is no such thing as safety when handing a person you don't know a loaded firearm.

But maybe the NRA can create a course they over charge and under deliver for on range safety so insurance companies can be happy... Oh wait, wrong thread.

• A gentle reminder
  • A stern talking to
  • Ejected

Here is the million dollar question.....how come mfs and manchester firing line dont have people bitching about safety problems at their ranges? Hmmm?

While lawful people follow the rules and people who have common sense generally exercise good judgment, it's necessary to have someone to watch out for those that don't and protect the rest of us. I don't think that having a RSO at any range, public or private, is overly burdensome. If you have a competent RSO who is knowledgeable about all of the handguns or rifles available for rent, they will be able to help you if you have a problem and offer competent and qualified advice.

One specific thing that was discussed heavily is the number of people here that have had a bad experience with safety issues, etc. on the range. Aaron, the new owner, has given me permission to offer up free range time to anyone here that have voiced their negative experience. Most of the post I've read seem to be folks that were in over 3 years ago and not returned since the changes were implemented. The goal is to let the shooting community know that the range is and will become a lot safer than in years past and hopefully improve the customer base.
I was there maybe 1-2 months ago. Nothing has changed except for layout.

I think having an RSO at a public range is an important thing. Even taking Bob's out of the equation the number of "stupid stuff I've seen at the range" threads are endless and it usually involved people who've never handled a gun before. I'm not interested in turning around during my relaxing shooting afternoon and seeing some joker testing the laser sight on a loaded pistol on my ass.

Oh yeah, note to Bob's: Especially if you're going to restrict shooting to gun owners now, fix the damn target carriers. Those Home Depot hand cranks stuck to the broken electric mechanisms are ghetto as hell.

Tough business... If you let anyone with a pulse and a checkbook come in and shoot (which is basically the demographic most public ranges and even some private clubs are after) you're going to have problems eventually RSO or not.

Back
Top Bottom