Trooper's son gains access to gun

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the real lessons here are (a) the gun storage rules (at least when lifted to the level of criminal violations) don't work and (b) the real failure here was not of gun handling but parenting. Perhaps, instead of locking up our guns (where, per the Supreme Court, they will be useless when needed), we should consider locking up our children. (Or at least teaching them not to touch things they've been told not to touch.)

[grin]

Trooper gun charge Update

BARNSTABLE - A state police lieutenant pleaded not guilty in Barnstable District Court today to a charge that he improperly stored his unloaded service revolver, enabling his 12-year-old son to gain access to the weapon.

Lt. Richard Bolduc was released on personal recognizance and sprinted out of the courthouse without speaking to reporters this morning.

Bolduc is charged with improper storage of a large-capacity firearm near a minor. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison for the felony charge.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/NEWS11/80820013

According to Sandwich police, Bolduc‘s 12-year-old son got ahold of the unloaded weapon June 25, pointed it at a 5-year-old neighbor and pulled the trigger. No one was injured, but the boy is also facing charges in juvenile court.

Police say that when they retrieved the gun there was a loaded clip in the same dresser drawer where the unlocked gun was stored.

Bolduc has been on restricted duty since July 2. He was reassigned to the Middleboro barracks, where he no longer has access to a state police vehicle and his gun has been taken away from him.

BARNSTABLE - A state police lieutenant pleaded not guilty in Barnstable District Court today to a charge that he improperly stored his unloaded service revolver, enabling his 12-year-old son to gain access to the weapon.

Lt. Richard Bolduc was released on personal recognizance and sprinted out of the courthouse without speaking to reporters this morning.

Bolduc is charged with improper storage of a large-capacity firearm near a minor. If convicted, he could face up to 10 years in prison for the felony charge.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080820/NEWS11/80820013

According to Sandwich police, Bolduc‘s 12-year-old son got ahold of the unloaded weapon June 25, pointed it at a 5-year-old neighbor and pulled the trigger. No one was injured, but the boy is also facing charges in juvenile court.

Police say that when they retrieved the gun there was a loaded clip in the same dresser drawer where the unlocked gun was stored.

Bolduc has been on restricted duty since July 2. He was reassigned to the Middleboro barracks, where he no longer has access to a state police vehicle and his gun has been taken away from him.

How do revolver and hi-capacity describe the same gun? Also if it's a revolver, loaded clip (magazine) means nothing...then again they could be refering to a moon clip.

Seems like media hype.

How do revolver and hi-capacity describe the same gun? Also if it's a revolver, loaded clip (magazine) means nothing...then again they could be refering to a moon clip.

Seems like media hype.

No, just media incompetence. They are used to saying "service revolver," but in this case it was likely his "service pistol."

Seems like media hype.

Seems like the usual MSM incompetence, like the Glob's Mike Barnicle babbling about .9 mm guns or "Glock revolvers."

Note that Barnicle's brother was, at the time on the BPD. [rolleyes]

Seems like the usual MSM incompetence, like the Glob's Mike Barnicle babbling about .9 mm guns or "Glock revolvers."

Note that Barnicle's brother was, at the time on the BPD. [rolleyes]

You don't think he'd actually fact check with his brother, do you? Who used to be a detective in Area A, or was the last time I saw him several years ago.

This one's a classic. Right up there with "He was just turning his life around".

"In the entire time I was married to him, (the gun) was always locked up," said Tara Bolduc, who was divorced from the state trooper after 11 years of marriage. "The kids were taught gun safety."

Yeah, and I "taught" my dog how to play the piano, explaining to him in great detail how to press the right keys according to what notes were shown on the sheet music.

You know what?

My dog still friggin' sucks at playing the piano.

The Bolducs' 12-year-old son, who is being charged separately in juvenile court, is accused by police of taking the trooper's unloaded weapon on June 25, pointing it at a 5-year-old neighbor and pulling the trigger.

Kid went 0 for 4 on the basic firearms safety rules there, Mom. Slow learners or shitty teachers?

From the "We're the only ones file":

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...er_accused_of_improperly_storing_gun_at_home/

BARNSTABLE, Mass.—A state police lieutenant has been released on personal recognizance after appearing in court on a charge of improperly storing his service revolver in his Cape Cod home.

Police said the 12-year-old son of Lt. Richard Bolduc took the gun from an unlocked drawer in June and brought it to a neighbor's house, where the boy allegedly pointed it at a 5-year-old girl and pulled the trigger.

The weapon was unloaded, but police said there was a loaded clip in the same drawer where the gun was kept.

Bolduc pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Wednesday in Barnstable District Court.

The trooper was placed on restricted duty after the incident and no longer has access to a gun.

------------------------------------------------------
There has been some discussion of this and while the media usually gets it wrong let me propose for one minute that they got it right.

A loaded clip could have been a speedloader for the revolver. Simple. I own a few of the nice safariland speed loaders, so this is actually possible given the media ignorance of describing a loaded clip.

What would the Brady Campaign have to say about this one? I know what would happen to the average law-abiding citizen! License revoked!! Politics at its best in mASSashusetts.

Then, factor in the headline: "accused"? Then add to that the "not guilty" plea.

I wonder what the 12-year old would have to say about that after the great example his "father" set as a State Trooper telling the truth!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...er_accused_of_improperly_storing_gun_at_home/

BARNSTABLE, Mass.—A state police lieutenant has been released on personal recognizance after appearing in court on a charge of improperly storing his service revolver in his Cape Cod home.
------------------------------------------------------
There has been some discussion of this and while the media usually gets it wrong let me propose for one minute that they got it right.

A loaded clip could have been a speedloader for the revolver. Simple. I own a few of the nice safariland speed loaders, so this is actually possible given the media ignorance of describing a loaded clip.

What part of "SERVICE" did you miss? The SP replaced revolvers with autoloaders (currently SIGs) in the last century.

Ergo, he has no "service revolver." Case closed.

Ok, that holds true if the media got it right. My mistake, but if they got it wrong it could have been his own personal firearm. If you remove "service" from the article my statement makes sense.

Thanks for the correction and keeping me on my toes!!

Ok, that holds true if the media got it right. My mistake, but if they got it wrong it could have been his own personal firearm.

NEVER underestimate the ignorance and bias of the MSM regarding firearms. I'm not even sure it can be done. [rolleyes]

hmm.. seems to me there is a lot here to work with.

Will the police officer effectively have their LTC revoked, as they are now proven unsuitable to posess a firearm? Or is it, by chance, his chief (employer as well as licensing authority) that will make the judgement that he is indeed fit to own a gun and thus maintain their job?

If this person is allowed to keep their LTC (and their job) I could see quite a case being made at the arbitrary nature of "Chief's discression"

Also, why is the kid not being charged with attempted murder?

A Police Officer does not need a LTC to carry a firearm in the performance of their duties. By statute, a Chief may issue equipment he deems necessary. That is also why no Auto weapons permits are needed.

Last edited:
hmm.. seems to me there is a lot here to work with.

Will the police officer effectively have their LTC revoked, as they are now proven unsuitable to posess a firearm? Or is it, by chance, his chief (employer as well as licensing authority) that will make the judgement that he is indeed fit to own a gun and thus maintain their job?

If this person is allowed to keep their LTC (and their job) I could see quite a case being made at the arbitrary nature of "Chief's discression"

Also, why is the kid not being charged with attempted murder?

Kindly remember that a police officer in Massachusetts does not need a LTC to carry while on duty. Many departments require it, the MSP does, but anything is waiverable, I suppose. Also the MSP Lt in question has sufficient time on the Job to retire, and at a fairly good pension. Unless he is stripped of his pension and other benefits because of a conviction (that is something that can be contested for years, if need be), the chances are that while he may have tanked his career, in the end, he will make out all right.

Mark L.

I've seen tons of pictures on the forum here of kids under 10 that have proper muzzle control and trigger discipline. Maybe if this guy had made an effort with this kid, this might not have happened.
There was a 9 year old on the line at the Bennington Appleseed Shoot - he had good gun-handling habits, especially considering that this was his fourth time handling a gun. There was one ND that went off about 20 seconds before we were about to call fire - he'd loaded before he should have. But the shot went where it was supposed to - down range. The muzzle was pointed in the right direction.
Wonder who he pissed off? Either his chief, or someone in town government. Here in Marxachusetts, the police are usually above the law. He had to have peed in someone's Wheaties. Poor bastard - they'll crucify him, no doubt.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080724/NEWS/807240332/-1/rss03
BARNSTABLE — Lt. Richard Bolduc's ex-wife says the state trooper is a dedicated officer who preached gun safety to the couple's three children
Which supports my position that some kids just need to have a lock between them and the guns.

Perhaps the kid knew that the gun was unloaded?

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the kid couldn't have KNOWN the gun was unloaded because it wasn't unloaded.

He could only have THOUGHT it was unloaded, which can't be proven and may or may not be a defense.

It seems to me, the kid COULD certainly be charged and a jury could have options ranging from 2nd degree murder to manslaughter.

The kid's best argument is that, of course, it wasn't a service revolver but a semi-auto and that he saw that the magazine was out of the gun (therefore empty). He could certainly argue that there's no way HE knew that semi-autos could fire a round with no magazine in the gun.

This is why ALL of my M&Ps feature the mag safety even though its an option here in MA.

The risks of injury are too great for me versus the chances that I'll ever need to fire at a perp with a round in the chamber and the mag out of the gun.

I don't mean to be nitpicky, but the kid couldn't have KNOWN the gun was unloaded because it wasn't unloaded

Ummm, the gun was unloaded,

It seems to me, the kid COULD certainly be charged and a jury could have options ranging from 2nd degree murder to manslaughter.

no one was killed.

This is why ALL of my M&Ps feature the mag safety even though its an option here in MA.

The risks of injury are too great for me versus the chances that I'll ever need to fire at a perp with a round in the chamber and the mag out of the gun.

no risk of injury if you follow basic Booger Hook/Bang Switch principles.

A state police lieutenant pleaded not guilty in Barnstable District Court today to a charge that he improperly stored his unloaded service revolver

I didn't realize SIG made revolvers for the staties. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom