Trooper's son gains access to gun

Maybe. Guess the police shouldn't have guns either.

With the media publicizing the story, the DA will have more trouble letting him off with a slap.

How about turn in the badge and uniform, you have just proven yourself to be unfit. I imagine if it was me, I would be posting bail at the moment.

Thanks for the WHDH link

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.

How is this good?

I think gene meant that the MSP have to take some of their own medicine. I'm sure we all agree that it's bad that an assault was committed that it's fuel for the anti's.

BTW, I believe the SP can't or don't carry on the badge and need an LTC. If he gets to keep his LTC for ALP, I would definitely bring that up if you get in your own "chief to serf" conflict.

Last edited:
Not a good story at all. I can imagine this will be used by the great Anti's in MA.

That'd be priceless. One of the people that anti's thinks should be the only one owning a gun and they can't even store them correctly according to the law. Goes to show that the police and military are human too.

How about turn in the badge and uniform, you have just proven yourself to be unfit. I imagine if it was me, I would be posting bail at the moment.

Count on it.

Followed by a check to the criminal defense attorney of your choice, while watching the local PD carry off your LTC, firearms, ammo, and even archery equipment.

There is video on whdh.com.

Apparently, they are charging the son with unlawful possession of a high capacity firearm (I assume they mean large capacity weapon) in addition to the assault with a dangerous weapon charge.

Apparently the only thing that wasn't "large capacity" was the trooper's brain.

You're forgetting Paying a fee to Peter Dowd to transfer your personal collection to a friend with an LTC", and becoming a prohibited for life person as part of the no jail time plea bargain you pay the attorney several thousand to negotiate.

This is BAD! For God's sake people, Lock Up Your Guns!!!! I don't care if you are a cop or a fireman or a priest or a weapons training officer. Things like this make us all look bad. [sad2]

This is BAD! For God's sake people, Lock Up Your Guns!!!! I don't care if you are a cop or a fireman or a priest or a weapons training officer. Things like this make us all look bad. [sad2]

You can bet this kid was never taught gun safety rules...either that or he already has the "nothing will happen to me, my dad's a Statie" mentality.

He does and he doesn't need a Class A LTC

I think gene meant that the MSP have to take some of their own medicine. I'm sure we all agree that it's bad that an assault was committed that it's fuel for the anti's.

BTW, I believe the SP can't or don't carry on the badge and need an LTC. If he gets to keep his LTC for ALP, I would definitely bring that up if you get in your own "chief to serf" conflict.

In MA state and locals can not carry on the badge, they need a class A LTC to carry a gun on the job (yes, they open carry on the same license that anyone else can).

State Police are issued Class A LTC's through the state police. Even when they retire, they can get them issued via the State Police.

That being said, off-duty and qualified retired LEO's can carry on their creds (yearly cert needed if retired). MA can not stop this so while MA LEO's need a Class A LTC to carry while on the job, off-duty they can simply carry on their creds.

In MA state and locals can not carry on the badge, they need a class A LTC to carry a gun on the job (yes, they open carry on the same license that anyone else can).

I thought there was a specific exemption in MGLs for law enforcement officers. Problem is, that exemption doesn't allow them to do things like buy their own guns, and ammo, so if they want to practice on their own, or buy ammo in MA, or buy their own (personal) firearms, they would still need an LTC, and hence the reason why just about all LEOs have their own LTC-A.

-Mike

Not that I'm a fan of frivolous lawsuits but, if that were my daughter, I'd sue the cop for all I could.

Unwittingly, this becomes an argument FOR our asnine storage laws. Pistol was unloaded in a drawer. Kid takes weapon and points it at another kid. If the gun were locked up, no access. All Lt Bolduc has done is provide for fodder for the anti's.

Mark L.

Last edited:

That information is incorrect. LEOs in Mass can carry on the badge, but many if not most departments require a LTC.

Section 131P.
(a) ... that the provisions of this section shall not apply to (i) any officer, agent or employee of the commonwealth or any state of the United States; (ii) any member of the military or other service of any state or of the United States; (iii) any duly authorized law enforcement officer, agent or employee of any municipality of the commonwealth; provided, however, that any such person described in clauses (i) to (iii), inclusive, is authorized by a competent authority to carry or possess the weapon so carried or possessed and is acting within the scope of his duties.

Respectfully,

Mark L.

Last edited:
A complaint has been submitted to Barnstable District Court against Lt Bolduc for improper storage. He has been re-assigned and has had his firearms and cruiser taken away. The child has had some history and is "troubled". We will leave it at that.

There is no excuse for this and thank god that no one was seriously injured.

The child has had some history and is "troubled". We will leave it at that.

There is no excuse for this and thank god that no one was seriously injured.

Absolutely.

Although junior's negative effect upon dad's career will only compound the problems.

My dad is a retired MA state cop. I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened had I taken his service revolver (give you an idea how long ago this was...) out of the house.

Put it this way: Getting arrested would have been the best possible outcome...

Back
Top Bottom