Trooper's son gains access to gun

A complaint has been submitted to Barnstable District Court against Lt Bolduc for improper storage. He has been re-assigned and has had his firearms and cruiser taken away. The child has had some history and is "troubled". We will leave it at that.

There is no excuse for this and thank god that no one was seriously injured.

Are these the kind of geniuses the state hires to enforce its laws? Fanf***ingtastic.

My dad is a retired MA state cop. I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened had I taken his service revolver (give you an idea how long ago this was...) out of the house.

Put it this way: Getting arrested would have been the best possible outcome...

When I was rock climbing, one of my climbing partners was the son of a MSP living in Worcester. One night he (the son) got drunk and took dad's cruiser for a spin and wrecked in on 290. Dad intercepted the heat and took the blame for wrecking the cruiser, but I guess the son was lucky he didn't end up in the ICU over it, he said the whippin' was so bad.

My dad is a retired MA state cop. I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened had I taken his service revolver (give you an idea how long ago this was...) out of the house.

Put it this way: Getting arrested would have been the best possible outcome...

You & I must have lived in the same house![wink]

This is exactly how the state wants it to work. It's been mentioned here that "I absolutely shudder to think what would have happened had I taken his service revolver (give you an idea how long ago this was...) out of the house.

Put it this way: Getting arrested would have been the best possible outcome..."

Well, I was thinking along those same lines and my father would still be kicking my ass. (I'm 45 now).....anyway, you aren't supposed to discipline your children. You are supposed to leave them alone until they develop some sort of issue like this 12 year old idiot and then wait for somehting like this to happen so they can be arrested and no longer be entitled to the freedoms of the second ammendment.

So lets take it step by step....

1. Law says if you have a criminal record you cannot get an LTC
2. State says you can't discipline your children
3. Lack of discipline turns your kid into a juvenile delinquent
4. kid breaks the law and gets arrested
5. kid learns his lesson now after being process and detained
6. kid grows up and is responsible citizen and applies for an LTC
7. kid is denied because of a past criminal offense
8. liberals win by attrition

If only his father could have kicked his ass a few times before this it may never have happened.

The charges against the 12 year old are valid, but a felony for not locking up guns is a bad law.

That said, the state did prosecute the Shrewsbury(?) auctioneer who left guns on a table (in his locked place of business) while responding to an emergency. So they have to prosecute this trooper, and he will end up with a felony and no job.

Look at it this way, we've got the first test case in MA for using the Heller decision of having your firearm locked or unusable as unconstitutional as a defense. If they use that defense, then we get to say bye bye to that stupid law.

Not that I don't think that locks are good if you've got small kids, but that should be a choice and common sense, not a law.

So they have to prosecute this trooper, and he will end up with a felony and no job.---
I'll be surprised if the Trooper is prosecuted and loses his job. I think he will get reprimanded for his actions and life will go on as it should for anyone in this situation. If he is ready to retire this may not hold.

While I think only a reprimand is called for, I also realize that a non-LEO, a non-wealthy or non-politically connected person would pay much more dearly.

Respectfully,

jkelly

You can bet this kid was never taught gun safety rules...either that or he already has the "nothing will happen to me, my dad's a Statie" mentality.

Thanks Palladin...I was actually amazed that it took someone until page 3 of this thread to say something like that, because that's the first thing that ran through my mind. It's never TOO early, especially at 12, to try and make your kids aware of guns and gun safety.

I've seen tons of pictures on the forum here of kids under 10 that have proper muzzle control and trigger discipline. Maybe if this guy had made an effort with this kid, this might not have happened.

Unwittingly, this becomes an argument FOR our asnine storage laws. Pistol was unloaded in a drawer. Kid takes weapon and points it at another kid. If the gun were locked up, no access. All Lt Bulduc has done is provide for fodder for the anti's.

Mark L.

Which is exactly why the law is asinine it doesn't prevent anything. This story is the perfect example. Laws are not the answer. Personal accountability is. The LEO F-ed up by not teaching his child about guns, period. There is nothing more to the story.

Thanks Palladin...I was actually amazed that it took someone until page 3 of this thread to say something like that, because that's the first thing that ran through my mind. It's never TOO early, especially at 12, to try and make your kids aware of guns and gun safety.

I've seen tons of pictures on the forum here of kids under 10 that have proper muzzle control and trigger discipline. Maybe if this guy had made an effort with this kid, this might not have happened.

The storage law makes it easy for parents to not have to teach their children about firearms. It's a false sense of security.

Question For Scrivener

Count on it.

Followed by a check to the criminal defense attorney of your choice, while watching the local PD carry off your LTC, firearms, ammo, and even archery equipment.

Please tell me your kidding about the Archery equipment . What does it have to do with a LTC ? You dont need one to but it .

Look at it this way, we've got the first test case in MA for using the Heller decision of having your firearm locked or unusable as unconstitutional as a defense. If they use that defense, then we get to say bye bye to that stupid law.

A case involving such level of abhorrent negligence is not something I would want to be seen used as a test case. The antis whining about Heller would only become justified by such a case. You want the precedent setting cases to be ones where a person was guilty of no real crime outside of the storage violation.

-Mike

The storage law makes it easy for parents to not have to teach their children about firearms. It's a false sense of security.

Yup.

motivator2.jpg

Apparently, they are charging the son with unlawful possession of a high capacity firearm (I assume they mean large capacity weapon) in addition to the assault with a dangerous weapon charge.

It should also be attempted murder; IMO.

My father wasn't a cop, but when I was that age if I ever did something like that...well let's put it this way, I still to this day would not be able to sit down.

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.

How is this good?

Just that the police are held to the same standards and charges as the rest of the lawful gun owners.

What happened was unfortunite however.[grin]

My son is almost 10yo...we shoot a 22cal pellet pistol in the basement all the time for training. Took him to Pelham on Sunday, he shot the .22 rifle, the 30cal carbine and my Mod15 Smith. I constantly instruct him on proper handling, weapon checking and muzzle control..as a parent with firearms I HAVE TO. .that's my responsibility.

Derek is right re: storage, it's locked away in safe which the kids can't open, so they're not used to seeing firearms.
As a kid, our guns were in a glass gun cabinet in the family room......there were four of us..we all were taught firearm respect.

This is BAD! For God's sake people, Lock Up Your Guns!!!! I don't care if you are a cop or a fireman or a priest or a weapons training officer. Things like this make us all look bad. [sad2]

I'm probably in the minority, but I think the real lessons here are (a) the gun storage rules (at least when lifted to the level of criminal violations) don't work and (b) the real failure here was not of gun handling but parenting. Perhaps, instead of locking up our guns (where, per the Supreme Court, they will be useless when needed), we should consider locking up our children. (Or at least teaching them not to touch things they've been told not to touch.)

I will guaranty one thing. There is a lot more to this story than what is in the papers.

I knew the LT when he was a Trooper and I am very sorry to see something like this possibly end what has been a good career.

My gut feeling on this is a neighbor dispute of sorts and this was payback time.

If this had been my child and the 12yr old boy, the PD never would have been called and the Lt and I would have settled it between us.

Flame retardant suit is now on but I am still old school that believes the Police do not need to be called for everything

Perhaps, instead of locking up our guns (where, per the Supreme Court, they will be useless when needed), we should consider locking up our children.

Idk why, but this reminds me of:

"I childproofed our house, but the damn buggers keep gettin' in!"

I'll agree with most everyone else, thank the lord the thing wasnt loaded.

Also, I think as far as locking up vs. teaching safety, obviously teaching safety should be the number 1 option here, but if you have a kid who you think might pull a stunt like this, and/or doesnt yet understand just how dangerous guns can be, lock it up. No sense taking the risk.

It hasnt been that long since I've been a kid....we know where shit is, you're not actually hiding anything from us.

Back
Top Bottom