• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon MRO thoughts

LaRue Tactical has a combo MRO with a LaRue mount for $493.

Larue is back ordered even though it dosnt show it online.

Ended up ordering one from Euro Optic. I highly recommend everyone starting an account there. My MRO with the lower 1/3 cowitness mount was 471$ delivered to my door with 2 day shipping

I went with the American Defense Quick-Detachable Full co-witness mount, and I really like the setup. The FOV seems huge on the MRO. It's light, and the dot is crisp. It seems noticeably crisper than my AIMPOINT PRO. It might not be, but it seems that way. The dot is fine enough to accurately zero the rifle. Some of the other sights kind of "blob out" the target. I also like the 2 million-billion year battery life.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you're welcome to come and shoot mine any time and see if you like it. It's mounted on my 9mm AR, which is a hoot in and of itself.

Thanks for the offer, I'm looking to put it on my AR9 for PCC class in USPSA. I will just bug Sean to see his and compare it to a T2. Right now I have a $30 reflex dot on it so is so effective it's funny but I know it will never stand up to abuse. My AimPoint has dents in it and still keeps ticking.

PCC class in USPSA.

-Division, not class

I will just bug Sean to see his and compare it to a T2.

Remind me to bring it on a Wednesday if you plan on being there. For this PCC thing, C-More is where it's at, if you can give up the throw it down the driveway ruggedness of an Aimpoint

- - - Updated - - -

So which do you seem to prefer and why? I'm in the market for a QC optic and I'm currently leaning toward an MRO. The wider FOV is what I'm after. I wanted an EOtech but had to scratch that off the list.

I like my MRO over my Aimpoint T1

If that's the case I will likely stick to the $20 reflex until I find something that can take abuse in this PCC DIVISION.

Wednesday's are more of a one-off for me not something I can do regularly.

I have a T1 Micro and a few other types.
My least favorite right now is the MRO.

My grips:

1. The adjustment dial detents are barely there. When you attempt to sight it in, you really can't tell how many increments you have adjusted. It's hard to describe but once you have one, it'll be clear.
2. When I shut it off, it doesn't actually shut off right away. When looking through the optic I noticed that after I shut it off, the red would gradually fade, not instantly disappear. It could be my own damn eyes but I swear this is actually happening. It's not a huge deal.
3. The dot is not round. Not even close.

I don't see any issues with blue tint.

None of these issues are bad enough for me to return it...and it is certainly less than the Aimpoint.
But I prefer Aimpoint.

Question for anyone with an MRO, or maybe any red dot - if you get the full cowitness mount, and fold down your front sight, can you still see the folded front sight, like is it blocking the view?

Just wondering which mount to get to go with folding iron sights.

Yes on my reflex dots that co witness, the front Magul sight block a small amount of the bottom.

Since I think co-witness is stupid, I just put it on a QD riser. If I need my irons, dumping the dot is fast.

Yes on my reflex dots that co witness, the front Magul sight block a small amount of the bottom.

Since I think co-witness is stupid, I just put it on a QD riser. If I need my irons, dumping the dot is fast.

Thanks - the QD co-witness is basically a riser though right, what's the difference?

I don't ever want to co-witness, I'll just keep the irons folded down, but I'd like them to be the same height so I don't have to adjust my cheek weld.

Thanks - the QD co-witness is basically a riser though right, what's the difference?

I don't ever want to co-witness, I'll just keep the irons folded down, but I'd like them to be the same height so I don't have to adjust my cheek weld.

I'll take a look at my AR with the Aimpoint PRO on it when I get home, but I don't remember being able to see the front sight (MBUS) when they were folded down,.... or at least it wasn't obvious to me that it was in the way.

-Mike

I'll take a look at my AR with the Aimpoint PRO on it when I get home, but I don't remember being able to see the front sight (MBUS) when they were folded down,.... or at least it wasn't obvious to me that it was in the way.

-Mike

My AimPoint M3 doesn't co-witness but mount a micro dot or reflex dot directly on the rail and they will.

Varmint, they are both risers: Height is the difference. I find for situations that generally call for a red dot (10-100y) that cheek weld is less important due to the nature of a red dot (eyebox). As such, it is easier for me to mount the dot higher and rather than bring my head down to the dot, the dot comes up to my eye moar easier.

Question for anyone with an MRO, or maybe any red dot - if you get the full cowitness mount, and fold down your front sight, can you still see the folded front sight, like is it blocking the view?

Just wondering which mount to get to go with folding iron sights.

With my MRO on a absolute cowitness QD mount, you do not see any of the folded BUIS. I used to use the lower 1/3rd cowitness mounts for my RDS's but now prefer the absolute cowitness height.

You shouldn't see the top of any folded down BUIS with the absolute cowitness nor 1/3rd cowitness heights. Only if you use the low mount (with the RDS pretty much mounted right on the rail) would you see the BUIS through the RDS.

Varmint, they are both risers: Height is the difference. I find for situations that generally call for a red dot (10-100y) that cheek weld is less important due to the nature of a red dot (eyebox). As such, it is easier for me to mount the dot higher and rather than bring my head down to the dot, the dot comes up to my eye moar easier.

With my MRO on a absolute cowitness QD mount, you do not see any of the folded BUIS. I used to use the lower 1/3rd cowitness mounts for my RDS's but now prefer the absolute cowitness height.

Can you say why you prefer the Absolute mount, cause bigblue is saying the opposite (he likes it higher).

Get the right height for you. Forget the co-witness.
Honestly how many people have ever used their buis because their primary optic has gone down? It's like buying a new car and making a decision based on the spare tire.

I have several rifles and it has never happened. (optic failure) .. And I realized I probably have several hundreds of dollars on buis sight that were only ever used to sight in.

Height makes a difference to me. I'd concentrate on finding the right height for you, not finding the height that would work best when your optic fails. Plus if you get a quick release mount all you have to do is remove the optic if it goes down.

I like higher because it's quicker for me to get a proper cheekweld. I used to run absolute for the reasons you bring up and found that when shooting prone it was difficult. Especially if the rifle was layed up against the ground.

Can you say why you prefer the Absolute mount, cause bigblue is saying the opposite (he likes it higher).

You're going to find that people prefer different heights. I initially used the 1/3 cowitness height mount because it was the popular choice and I thought I'd give it a shot. The more I used it, the more I realized that when I shouldered the AR with the proper cheek weld, the dot was in the lower part of the window (the RDS was a little too high for me). In order to center the dot in the window I found myself "floating" my cheek slightly above the stock. Now that I'm using the absolute cowitness height mount, when I have a proper cheek weld, the dot is centered in the window.

Also, just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass previously, I looked through my MRO earlier and you CAN see about 1/8" of the top of the folded down front sight (MBUS Pros). It's such a small amount that I really never noticed it before. It's certainly not blocking the view at all.

Get the right height for you. Forget the co-witness.
Honestly how many people have ever used their buis because their primary optic has gone down? It's like buying a new car and making a decision based on the spare tire.

I have several rifles and it has never happened. (optic failure) .. And I realized I probably have several hundreds of dollars on buis sight that were only ever used to sight in.

Height makes a difference to me. I'd concentrate on finding the right height for you, not finding the height that would work best when your optic fails. Plus if you get a quick release mount all you have to do is remove the optic if it goes down.

I like higher because it's quicker for me to get a proper cheekweld. I used to run absolute for the reasons you bring up and found that when shooting prone it was difficult. Especially if the rifle was layed up against the ground.

That's good advice, but I don't want to buy multiple risers trying to find the right height. But yeah, taller is likely better, I have to crane my head to use the iron sights, which is all I've used to date on my AR.

You're right, I found prone shooting with the iron sights to be challenging. I think i'll start with higher, 1/3 at least.

You're going to find that people prefer different heights. I initially used the 1/3 cowitness height mount because it was the popular choice and I thought I'd give it a shot. The more I used it, the more I realized that when I shouldered the AR with the proper cheek weld, the dot was in the lower part of the window (the RDS was a little too high for me). In order to center the dot in the window I found myself "floating" my cheek slightly above the stock. Now that I'm using the absolute cowitness height mount, when I have a proper cheek weld, the dot is centered in the window.

I see, thanks. I'll play around with the cheek weld looking through the irons before I buy a riser.

Go for 1/3 if you want overall performance and doing tactical rolls.

Go for Cow if you are sitting on the range stool and admiring your shiny new AR, while playing flip ups with your tactical iron sights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass previously, I looked through my MRO earlier and you CAN see about 1/8" of the top of the folded down front sight (MBUS Pros). It's such a small amount that I really never noticed it before. It's certainly not blocking the view at all.

Different people have different cheek bones and facial structure so different heights work for different people. You can get different height mounts off ebay for less than $10 each so it is worth trying different heights to see what works for you. The bottom line is do what works for you: There are no hard and fast rules here.

Go for 1/3 if you want overall performance and doing tactical rolls.

Go for Cow if you are sitting on the range stool and admiring your shiny new AR, while playing flip ups with your tactical iron sights.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Roughly 1/4" in mount height moves you from "Operator" to "Mall Ninja?"

Who knew?

I apologize for the minor thread jack but does anyone make a holographic sight besides EOTech? That is what I want and not a red dot. If anyone knows a company that does if they could shot me a PM so I really do not derail the OP's thread. Thanks.

Anyone have updates on how much they like or dislike their MROs?

I am looking for a nice dot to put on a soon to be obtained SBR, not only range fun but also a self defense rifle if ever (likely - never) needed. I am having trouble with the price point of an aimpoint compm4. Hate the controls on the vortex options. EoTech was my first choice due to the field of view, but my trust for that company went down the tubes. A green or red switchable dot would be great - but you cant have everything.

I am looking for a nice dot to put on a soon to be obtained SBR, not only range fun but also a self defense rifle if ever (likely - never) needed. I am having trouble with the price point of an aimpoint compm4. Hate the controls on the vortex options. EoTech was my first choice due to the field of view, but my trust for that company went down the tubes. A green or red switchable dot would be great - but you cant have everything.

I have one but haven't shot it much. It has excellent reviews and has passed many torture test. U can't go wrong for $450-500

MRO and PRO are similar price point. Although the MRO is cheaper when you figure the MRO needs a aftermarket mount. Size and "openness" is better on the MRO, optics and lack of distortion is better on PRO. Dot clarity is better on the PRO.

IMHO the PRO is a better all around option unless you are going lightweight or SBR... I have a lightweight setup with a MRO and while it's not perfect it works well in that setting.

For the faults the MRO has, I still prefer the more wife open feel more than the Aimpoint micros

Last edited:

I've shot the shit out of mine (mounted on a 9mm AR carbine), including a 3-gun match with head-type targets to ~75m. It has fast become my favorite red dot. If you find your way to SoNH, you're welcome to shoot mine and see what you think.

I went to purchase a MRO and decided to actually look through it first. I really didnt care for the distorted view around the edges and the slight magnification was giving me double vision while trying to keep both eyes open. I was dissapointed and ended up ordering a 1moa RMR and a cowitness AD mount. I had used rmr's in the past and knew that I already liked it. I'm very happy with my decision.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I went to purchase a MRO and decided to actually look through it first. I really didnt care for the distorted view around the edges and the slight magnification was giving me double vision while trying to keep both eyes open. I was dissapointed and ended up ordering a 1moa RMR and a cowitness AD mount. I had used rmr's in the past and knew that I already liked it. I'm very happy with my decision.
View attachment 171417
View attachment 171418

I have an RMR on a pistol, it once lived on a 16" AR before i got that pistol. IT was ok, didn't love it. Perhaps i didn't like it because it was an amber dot.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha...nice. Yea the MRO gives better field of vision.
A few guys told me that you can't beat the Aimpoint T-2..
Think you should check them out side by side if possible.
Brian

That T-2 has a hefty price tag as well. If i was at that price point i think i would just go for the compm4.

That T-2 has a hefty price tag as well. If i was at that price point i think i would just go for the compm4.

Or a 1.5x mini acog, if you can catch a good sale. I grabbed one for less than the price of a T2 a couple of years back and I like it much more than any red dot I've shot or handled.

I've shot the shit out of mine (mounted on a 9mm AR carbine), including a 3-gun match with head-type targets to ~75m. It has fast become my favorite red dot. If you find your way to SoNH, you're welcome to shoot mine and see what you think.

Which red dots are you comparing the MRO to?
Just curious.

I picked up my gun last night and noticed that while the unit is off, I see a reflection of a red dot....and while using the optic in low light I can actually see a dot while it's off. Just a tidbit that I didn't like.

Back
Top Bottom