• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon ACOG's

I think that’s a lot of optic for a short barrel. Kind of seems like you’ve got two different ideas going on but what do I know.

I think that’s a lot of optic for a short barrel. Kind of seems like you’ve got two different ideas going on but what do I know.

Eh, depends. Even a 10.3” AR can make hits at 600 yards. But cut it back to 300 yards and having 4x+ of magnification is still helpful. Even a 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO can be a good option for a 5.56 SBR.

Red dots are slightly faster up close, but nothing crazy and I’m not on HRT having to take headshots on a guy holding a hostage. Red dots do have a very big benefit if you’re planning to do passive night vision shooting.

IMG_8565.jpeg
IMG_8568.jpeg
IMG_8569.jpeg
IMG_8567.jpeg

Admittedly, this one is a bit too much 😆
IMG_8570.jpeg

How do you like the Elcan?

Love it. See @PappyM3's post above about the Elcan. It's built like a tank, but relatively compact. Can be used as a 1x dot or 4x with the BDC reticle. Eye relief is better than an ACOG and the glass is clear. Worth the $2k I spent on it, though that is still more expensive than my Eotech/G33 mag combo.

If I had to pick one optic that works for every platform and any situation, it would probably be my Trijicon 1-8x VCOG LPVO, but the Eotech/G33 mag and the Elcan for AR's work very well and are lighter. I have the Eotech mounted on my Tavor 16" to keep weight down and the Elcan on the 14.5" BCM. The VCOG is on my 18" G36...

Last edited:
Red dots are slightly faster up close, but nothing crazy and I’m not on HRT having to take headshots on a guy holding a hostage. Red dots do have a very big benefit if you’re planning to do passive night vision shooting.
The issue is eye relief. It is so much easier with a red dot than a traditional magnified optic.

Last edited:
If you really want a BDC reticle look at the primary arms slx sights. They are etched reticles with a diopter and come in fixed 1x up to maybe 4 or 5x? Plus you'll have extra cash for ammo. I put a 1x on a tavor and 300yd hits are easy. It also came with the mounts and cantilevers to achieve like 7 or 8 different heights.

View attachment 828351
View attachment 828353
I have one of these and I like it.

The issue is eye relief. It is so much easier with a red than a traditional magnified optic.

Definitely a factor in the speed, yeah.

I’ve found after a number of repetitions, the reflexive fire speed on a magnified optic can be nearly as quick. SFP being better than FFP for this.

I cant help in the barrel length and bullet drop ranging department but as far as the quality of the optic its well worth the money. I have that one with the red chevron and i love it. I don't belong to the pimp your gun club, i am an iron sights shooter but its a great optic with a large field of view and the clearest glass ever. A friend of mine tried mine out then proceeded to buy the 350 dollar CHINACOG copy and what a piece of shit! Trijicon makes nice clear glass, i have 2 other Trijicon Accupoint scopes and they are right there with my Zeiss and Leupolds. Best advise i can offer is try before you buy. Ask to try other guys at the range. I am on the far western end of mass on the New York border if you are in the neighborhood i would let you try mine. That's all i can offer, i have no experience with any other AR optic. Good luck

Eh, depends. Even a 10.3” AR can make hits at 600 yards. But cut it back to 300 yards and having 4x+ of magnification is still helpful. Even a 1-6 or 1-8 LPVO can be a good option for a 5.56 SBR.
You can make hits even further if you understand what your bullet is doing and have a known distance and good conditions. But at 600 yards your bullet is dropping 20” every 25 yards out of the SBR and smacking the target with a wopping 130 ft lbs of energy.

I actually agree about the LPVO. I think for this application it’s a much better choice. It’s an SBR so I would think the vast majority of use case for it would be up close. So why start out at 4X? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m actually a big advocate for 2 or 3 power fixed optics for a general purpose rifle because I find that magnification handy even at 100. And for me, when weighing all pros and cons I think something like a fixed 3X is best all around from 0-300. certainly vs 1X. It’s easier to get used to close range with a 3x than longer range with a 1X.

But I just don’t get a fixed 4X on an SBR vs an LPVO or 1x with magnifier.

I have one of these and I like it.
Its probably the closest optic I've used that could get me off red dots. No batteries no problem, the only thing that sucks is low light and no WML, but it does have illumination, but I think it might have shake awake, it's been a while since I've used it at night.

I’m way faster with red dots and eotechs and can easily make hits out to 300 yards. With a magnifier, I am a little slower but a lot more accurate. I also have a 1-6 LPVO on an LMT Specwar upper and it works surprisingly well.

If you're shooting close range, within buildings, etc., wouldn't magnified optics slow you down just a bit more than a dot?

Love it. See @PappyM3's post above about the Elcan. It's built like a tank, but relatively compact. Can be used as a 1x dot or 4x with the BDC reticle. Eye relief is better than an ACOG and the glass is clear. Worth the $2k I spent on it, though that is still more expensive than my Eotech/G33 mag combo.

If I had to pick one optic that works for every platform and any situation, it would probably be my Trijicon 1-8x VCOG LPVO, but the Eotech/G33 mag and the Elcan for AR's work very well and are lighter. I have the Eotech mounted on my Tavor 16" to keep weight down and the Elcan on the 14.5" BCM. The VCOG is on my 18" G36...
I have a friend that professionally grinds lenses for aeronautics and space use. He describes Elcan as basically being Leica for guns.

If you're shooting close range, within buildings, etc., wouldn't magnified optics slow you down just a bit more than a dot?
It does. I’ve personally Never had to do it with my life on the line so I don’t know how much fractions of a second count but I’m sure they do. That’s why I think if you’re building an SBR, I’d assume you’re planning on mostly being at those ranges and further out is the exception. So you’d want to be able to do 1X, whether it’s LPVO or dot. 4X with no option to get 1X when most of you’re shooting im assuming is best suited for 1X seems like a mismatch to me.

I think a 4X is great for a do all general purpose rifle that you want to be bomb proof. But there’s no sense in cutting your barrel down for that kind of rifle, in my opinion.

FYI, Primary Arms is having a decent sale on optics, along with bonus bucks. They also have free shipping on Primary Arms optics. Just bought one of the SLX 1X Microprisms for $202, with $54 in bonus bucks that can be used in a few days, so I'll probably put that towards a magnifier.

FYI, Primary Arms is having a decent sale on optics, along with bonus bucks. They also have free shipping on Primary Arms optics. Just bought one of the SLX 1X Microprisms for $202, with $54 in bonus bucks that can be used in a few days, so I'll probably put that towards a magnifier.
Those things are awesome. What magnifier are you thinking?

I'm seeing it for $270. Is there a code or am I looking at the wrong one?

It does. I’ve personally Never had to do it with my life on the line so I don’t know how much fractions of a second count but I’m sure they do. That’s why I think if you’re building an SBR, I’d assume you’re planning on mostly being at those ranges and further out is the exception. So you’d want to be able to do 1X, whether it’s LPVO or dot. 4X with no option to get 1X when most of you’re shooting im assuming is best suited for 1X seems like a mismatch to me.

I think a 4X is great for a do all general purpose rifle that you want to be bomb proof. But there’s no sense in cutting your barrel down for that kind of rifle, in my opinion.

They do slow you down compared to a red dot, but with practice you can still get fast with them. Back when I actually did stuff, I tried the Docter sight on top of my ACOG, but I was actually faster just reflexive firing with the 4x ACOG. It never held me down during raids. But, I also wasn’t working at the JSOC level. For that level, the fractions of a second improvement from a red dot may be necessary.

That said, totally agree with LakeTrout that if the majority of your perceived work will be up close, it would be silly to get something without a solid 1x capability.

lpvo? I don’t really liked fixed mag at 4x if you need to take a close shot quick 4x would be tricky to acquire the target unless you ran an offset rmr

I'm seeing it for $270. Is there a code or am I looking at the wrong one?
Apparently I received a discount. I wasn't signed into my account so figured it was a sale, but it must recognize my phone. Just checked on my son's phone and it does come up 270. Sorry about that, but you should still get bonus bucks and free shipping.

lpvo? I don’t really liked fixed mag at 4x if you need to take a close shot quick 4x would be tricky to acquire the target unless you ran an offset rmr
I have an LPVO on one rule and red dot and magnifier on another. For up close, the LPVO simply isn’t as good as a red dot. The dot is just easier to get behind. Also, LPVOs are heavy.

Back
Top Bottom