• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon ACOG's

I thought you were being serious. Almost got me haha

You lost me. Not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic or what.

Just ran some numbers, that's surprising...

Hornady 75 gr BTHP .395BC 2400 fps muzzle velocity, 100 yard zero, going 1210 fps at 700 yards making 250 ft/lbs of energy, with 212 INCHES OF HOLD OVER LOL

It's a carbine not artillery

Upper thorastic cavity to a**h*** wound channel brah i gotcha covered.

Screenshot_20240102_203808_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Heres what i have on AB, im just using it to spitball estimates here, all my real data is on my kestrel.

20230912_151349.jpg

This isnt the first time guys on this forum have been unable to conceptualize things im talking about, yall even had me second guessing myself so i checked my data and measured the distance from end to end of the range we were shooting on.

Im the .22 man, chad artillerist of NES.

Post physique

Last edited:
She came in today, eager to go shooting I find out I need a damn riser lol. My A2 sight post gets in the way,plus it sits way to low profile for my comfort! I'm thinking 1/3 co witness? Does anyone have experience with the La Rue LT105 mount? Some other forums suggest this riser.View attachment 834507
Get rid of the A2 sight and put some pop up sights on that thing.
But I will say La Rue mount will work as well.

In my experience, people often underestimate both how far bullets actually travel, and how dangerous they are when they get there. This is separate from the difficulty of hitting targets at range.

I have played a bit with CCI Quiet .22 rounds, which are 40 grain soft lead .22 rounds going 720 feet per second at the muzzle. I was surprised to find that they would go through a soft pine 2x4, and they easily penetrate 6 inches into a sand bag. Of course, they have no "stopping power" and will just punch an ice pick wound. But that wound is potentially fatal, and will absolutely require medevac if you are far afield.

So when people say you couldn't get a hit at that range, and even if you did, it wouldn't penetrate a heavy jacket, that is usually only half true. So with centerfire rounds, when you get well past where high velocity bullets have dropped subsonic, then you may really be firing for effect. But if you do get a hit, then damage comparable to a .32 caliber pistol is very plausible.

In my experience, people often underestimate both how far bullets actually travel, and how dangerous they are when they get there. This is separate from the difficulty of hitting targets at range.

I have played a bit with CCI Quiet .22 rounds, which are 40 grain soft lead .22 rounds going 720 feet per second at the muzzle. I was surprised to find that they would go through a soft pine 2x4, and they easily penetrate 6 inches into a sand bag. Of course, they have no "stopping power" and will just punch an ice pick wound. But that wound is potentially fatal, and will absolutely require medevac if you are far afield.

So when people say you couldn't get a hit at that range, and even if you did, it wouldn't penetrate a heavy jacket, that is usually only half true. So with centerfire rounds, when you get well past where high velocity bullets have dropped subsonic, then you may really be firing for effect. But if you do get a hit, then damage comparable to a .32 caliber pistol is very plausible.

They also forget that we have 30 rounds in the gun to follow up with after that first one.

They also forget that we have 30 rounds in the gun to follow up with after that first one.
Sure but you can’t always tell where you’re missing. Especially in New England, as opposed to the desert, where not much dirt is going to be kicked up to tell you where you missed especially when the round has so little energy when it gets there. And if we’re talking about targets that don’t sit still while you’re shooting at them, that adds another problem that would be much easier to deal with if we had a round that was more suited for the conditions and distance.

Sure but you can’t always tell where you’re missing. Especially in New England, as opposed to the desert, where not much dirt is going to be kicked up to tell you where you missed especially when the round has so little energy when it gets there. And if we’re talking about targets that don’t sit still while you’re shooting at them, that adds another problem that would be much easier to deal with if we had a round that was more suited for the conditions and distance.

If i was shooting exclusively at intermediate distances like that obviously id go with something more purpose built, the point of my original comment was that short 556 guns aren't useless beyond 300yds like so many ignant peepo' say, that they'reactually quite capable while also being handy in tight spaces like vehicles etc.

As for shooting movers, its really not much different than making a wind call. With a good reticle like a tremor3 and some basic understanding of how fast the average man is going when he's walking/jogging/sprinting you simply use your wind dots to lead the target and fire.

If i was shooting exclusively at intermediate distances like that obviously id go with something more purpose built, the point of my original comment was that short 556 guns aren't useless beyond 300yds like so many ignant peepo' say, that they'reactually quite capable while also being handy in tight spaces like vehicles etc.

As for shooting movers, its really not much different than making a wind call. With a good reticle like a tremor3 and some basic understanding of how fast the average man is going when he's walking/jogging/sprinting you simply use your wind dots to lead the target and fire.

My experience with long 5.56 guns is they aren’t what I would call quite capable beyond 300 yards (75 or 77 grain loads I would say are quite capable though) nevermind short ones. But I’m also not the best shooter so half of it is me at least. The wind is what kills it out at further distances. And the wind is generally not a steady flow of air at a 90 degree angle. Also, targets that are getting shot at and are capable of moving, generally don’t move in a constant direction at a constant speed.

There are a lot of variables there, and a bullet that’s getting blown all over the place and impacting with already low energy, is already handicapped. Nevermind when you chop off the one thing that makes the 5.56 effective by giving it velocity. Can it be done? Sure. I somewhat regukarly see people do well in low wind conditions out to 600 yards or so with 16”+ barrels. Can it be done too with a 10.5? I’m sure. It’s harder and less effective in the real world, but it can be done.

I’m probably pretty biased though so take all that with a grain of salt. I think a 10.5” in 5.56 is an awful choice of caliber for an AR in that length. They’re also obnoxiously loud and flash like a spring break co ed at Madi gras. So then guys end up putting a can on them which absolutely does not make it very quiet and you end up more or less at normal length of a carbine without a can, only heavier and with less performance and similar noise and flash

My experience with long 5.56 guns is they aren’t what I would call quite capable beyond 300 yards (75 or 77 grain loads I would say are quite capable though) nevermind short ones. But I’m also not the best shooter so half of it is me at least. The wind is what kills it out at further distances. And the wind is generally not a steady flow of air at a 90 degree angle. Also, targets that are getting shot at and are capable of moving, generally don’t move in a constant direction at a constant speed.

There are a lot of variables there, and a bullet that’s getting blown all over the place and impacting with already low energy, is already handicapped. Nevermind when you chop off the one thing that makes the 5.56 effective by giving it velocity. Can it be done? Sure. I somewhat regukarly see people do well in low wind conditions out to 600 yards or so with 16”+ barrels. Can it be done too with a 10.5? I’m sure. It’s harder and less effective in the real world, but it can be done.

I’m probably pretty biased though so take all that with a grain of salt. I think a 10.5” in 5.56 is an awful choice of caliber for an AR in that length. They’re also obnoxiously loud and flash like a spring break co ed at Madi gras. So then guys end up putting a can on them which absolutely does not make it very quiet and you end up more or less at normal length of a carbine without a can, only heavier and with less performance and similar noise and flash
Nah. You got it and straight forward.

Back
Top Bottom