• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon ACOG's

So I'm in the market for a new optic, it will be going on a 10.5" AR SBR. I was looking at a 4x32 BDC 223 model. I know the BDC will will be off a little since it's a 10.5 barrel, but anyway morale of the story is I'd like to hear from some of you who own one of these. Is it worth the money? Or would I be better off going with something else for the money?

This one specifically IMG_20231215_080557.jpg

My only issue is I wear glasses (can't stand contacts) when I shoot so I wanted a little extra magnification. Just when it rains etc they get fogged up haha. I guess if shooting within 100 yds (my current backyard range distance currently) Just trying to make my life a little easier! Lethal optimal range of a 10.5"? I'd say optimal under 100yds? Maximum 200yds? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Don't get something with a BDC as the ammo/barrel length won't match and shots will be off. Does it matter at 50, 100 yards? Probably not, but it might start to matter to you at 300+. The BDC was designed around a particular rifle and ammo, and 10.5" likely wasn't it. Also, the ACOG is big and bulky for what it does: 4x fixed fiber/tritium optic.

I would go with a red dot or holographic and add a magnifier if you need it at distance. Keeps the weapon easy and light at close distances while still having magnification when it's needed. YMMV

I have an SBR in 9mm. I run a red dot and use a 3x magnifier with a quick release mount when I need it.

So I'm in the market for a new optic, it will be going on a 10.5" AR SBR. I was looking at a 4x32 BDC 223 model. I know the BDC will will be off a little since it's a 10.5 barrel, but anyway morale of the story is I'd like to hear from some of you who own one of these. Is it worth the money? Or would I be better off going with something else for the money?

This one specifically View attachment 828305
Built like a tank.

Depends on your background, but they're generally found with rhe shoulder width because at range, which is useless out of a 10" barrel. You literally will have a beautiful scope that's worthless on its platform, might as well put irons on a 50bmg and plink at 1000 yard targets.

It's not what you want to hear, but get a red dot, maybe with a magnifier.

Built like a tank.

Depends on your background, but they're generally found with rhe shoulder width because at range, which is useless out of a 10" barrel. You literally will have a beautiful scope that's worthless on its platform, might as well put irons on a 50bmg and plink at 1000 yard targets.

It's not what you want to hear, but get a red dot, maybe with a magnifier.
Not what I want to hear but what I need to hear 👍

I owned that 4x ACOG. I never fell in love with it. The main problem is the eye relief is a son of a bitch. Otherwise, they are quality optics.

However, important to point out, I did recently buy the new mini ACOG. It's a TA44, and it's amazing. https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-acog-TA44

The TA44 is a 1.5x

I can hold my rifle like a pistol and still use the sight. Zero eye relief problems at all, solid as can be and the good ol' donut-o-death is all I need for 300m and under. I currently have it on my AUG.

I would red dot a SBR personally. I also have vision problems and the aim point dots are noticeably better than most of the other dot sights I've looked through.

If you really want a BDC reticle look at the primary arms slx sights. They are etched reticles with a diopter and come in fixed 1x up to maybe 4 or 5x? Plus you'll have extra cash for ammo. I put a 1x on a tavor and 300yd hits are easy. It also came with the mounts and cantilevers to achieve like 7 or 8 different heights.

PXL_20231215_144824572.jpg
PXL_20231215_144812555.jpg

I’d say red dot with magnifier is the answer like everyone else.
A T2 with magnifier is probably not too much more than the acog either.

I have a TA110. It’s 3.5X with a horseshoe dot and an RMR. Basically bomb proof but also on a 16”.

I owned that 4x ACOG. I never fell in love with it. The main problem is the eye relief is a son of a bitch. Otherwise, they are quality optics.

However, important to point out, I did recently buy the new mini ACOG. It's a TA44, and it's amazing. https://www.trijicon.com/products/product-family/trijicon-acog-TA44

The TA44 is a 1.5x

I can hold my rifle like a pistol and still use the sight. Zero eye relief problems at all, solid as can be and the good ol' donut-o-death is all I need for 300m and under. I currently have it on my AUG.

The TA44 is perfect for me on an AR. Functions like a red dot but between the glass quality and the dot in the reticle you can reach out with it too.

The TA44 is a 1.5x

I have the TA44 with ACSS reticle, which is absolutely awesome- but total unobtanium now.

I’ve tried all kinds of optics, and always come back to a T2

Get an EOTech EXPS3-0.

My favorite optic.

Still the best.
This. I love my EOtech. I also have an Elcan Specter DR 1x/4x that is a tank and has a BDC for 5.56 62 gr out of a 16" barrel. It is heavy as hell, so I'm considering putting it on my Tavor and using the EOtech on the AR to keep it as light as possible.

Do people still buy Acogs? If I had to buy new optics for my SBR then it'd be the Exps3-0 with a G33 magnifier. Right now I'm rocking a 9 year old T1 with an Aimpoint 3X-C on Unity mounts but my astigmatism is making me regret that decision. If budget was a concern then I'd run Holosuns. My buddy just picked up a a hs503r and hm3xt for under $400 which is f-ing wild.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to trade hit me up.

20231127_193330.jpg 20231127_193344.jpg

I’ve got lots of time behind an ACOG. Busy right now but I’ll get back to you later today.

Okay, I’m back.

ACOGs are pretty great. Very robust, amazing glass with an unnaturally large field of view, and wonderful illumination that doesn’t require batteries. Even the oft-maligned eye relief isn’t a big deal when you get used to it, especially if you shoot nose to charging handle.

It’s even very capable within 25 yards for reflexive fire.

For the BDC, the M150/RCO version’s BDC actually lines up pretty well with 55gr-77gr when using yards. The BDC is technically for meters, but it lines up with yards well. And the ranging stadia are rough estimates anyway so it doesn’t matter much if those are in meters instead. For 77gr, you’d just need to zero like a 1/2 MOA high or so.

All that said, I probably wouldn’t get one for a 10.5”. Great optics, but there are better solutions for that form factor. The TA44 might be a good option if you want ACOG robustness and lack of batteries.

However, I’m going to throw out the Elcan Specter 1-4x, particularly the 7.62 reticle. Caveat: don’t pay full price. Keep it under $2k and preferably pay $1.5k for a very lightly used one. They pop up fairly regularly.

* Its BDCs work great for a 10.5” barrel when zeroing with yards

* It has a great field of view, like the ACOG

* It has a 1x

* It has better eye relief than the ACOG

* The reticle is extremely usable for fast shooting up close, but you don’t need batteries like a red dot

* But if you do have batteries, it truly has an Aimpoint bright dot, or you can choose to softly illuminate the BDC for low light shooting at distance

* It has ACOG durability

* Some claim it’s heavy, but it’s really not that bad. It weighs about the same as a light LPVO with a mount

* The 4x helps when you need it, but you’re not missing much from higher magnification with a 10.5”

* Unlike a red dot & magnifier combo, the Elcan is a very compact and self-contained package

Here are the approximate drops in yards from a 10.5” barrel. You could tune them better with hitting slightly higher or lower at the zero distance, but these are rough checks:

IMG_8453.jpeg

IMG_8454.jpeg

IMG_7825.jpeg

My 10 year old said “hybrid” - whatever that means.

That's what the Call of Duty crowd calls an optic with both magnification and 1X and the ability to flip back and forth. The most popular hybrid is the Eotech/ 5x flip magnifier. There are Elcan Spectre clones and Acog clones with RMR's as well.

Fixed magnification isn't a popular option except for sniper rifles because depending on the map, you may be CQB/run and gun or shooting from distance.

Back
Top Bottom