Trijicon MRO thoughts

Just picked up an MRO with a one third lower co witness mount, took about 50 rounds to dial it in. The first shot was on paper, over all it's a great red dot and if anyone is thinking about buying one, do it

Color is slight blue, magnification is slight. If you run the optic close to your eye, the magnification is less noticeable. There is a slight fisheye as well, also noticed less when closer to your eye.

The magnification is a trade off for the field of view / less tube appearance of the optic.

Control mounted on top is a plus.

Trijicon factory mount sucks ass

Dot is nice and better than the Eotech if you have an astigmatism (for me)

Color is slight blue, magnification is slight. If you run the optic close to your eye, the magnification is less noticeable. There is a slight fisheye as well, also noticed less when closer to your eye.

The magnification is a trade off for the field of view / less tube appearance of the optic.

well I got my mount for free so I guess I can't complain lol

Very timely post. Thank you.

I just ordered one yesterday for my 9mm AR carbine. Glad to hear positive reviews.

I think I'm going to spring for the Midwest Industries lower 1/3 QD mount.

Sounds like you like it? The field of view is really important for me, not sure what else competes with it in FOV, just the Aimpoint Pro?

Sounds like you like it? The field of view is really important for me, not sure what else competes with it in FOV, just the Aimpoint Pro?

You know, I'm not sure there is a "perfect" red dot for me. The T-2 is great, but expensive and IMHO, too small (someone coming from a EOtech). I actually prefer the PRO to the T series, but then, I'm back to EOTech weight. I really wanted a small package for my current rifle setup.

All the short comings of the MRO that have been reported are true, and frankly shame on Trijicon, they could have done better. But, the flip side is they have something to offer that IMO is not currently available on the market otherwise.... A "wide open" optic for Sub $600 price range, lightweight, good warranty, NV compatible.

Yes, so far I like it. But I've only had 100 rounds with it on my rifle.... So, my sample size is small

What about the complaints about the color being off, and it not being true 1.0x magnification?

Yes, it's blue. Slightly but it's blue.... So is a Aimpoint Pro. The bigger complaint is the red glare with light behind the optic. Thankfully there is no glare off the internal electronics (like the SRS). I've heard that happens with Aimpoint in the right conditions, but I've never seen it

You know, I'm not sure there is a "perfect" red dot for me. The T-2 is great, but expensive and IMHO, too small (someone coming from a EOtech). I actually prefer the PRO to the T series, but then, I'm back to EOTech weight. I really wanted a small package for my current rifle setup.

All the short comings of the MRO that have been reported are true, and frankly shame on Trijicon, they could have done better. But, the flip side is they have something to offer that IMO is not currently available on the market otherwise.... A "wide open" optic for Sub $600 price range, lightweight, good warranty, NV compatible.

Yes, so far I like it. But I've only had 100 rounds with it on my rifle.... So, my sample size is small

Thanks - yeah, there's no perfect optic, right? I'm deciding whether to go lightweight, or get a 1-4 or 1-6x, as light as possible, like the Leupold VX-6 which is only 13 oz. That's still a lot of weight though, so will probably get the MRO.

funny you should say that.... I just came from an eotech and was going to an mro, but the rumors of "glare" in the tube with light to your back turned me off. So i went with a t2 micro. I absolutely love it! It is so clear it (for me) just looks like a dot floating in the air. I never felt like i was looking through a tiny tube.

Was already said, but the MRO factory mounts suck. They aren't expensive, though, so it's not that offensive. ;)

Agree 100%. I kept stripping the heads on the mounts screws when torquing to Trijicon's specs. Called them, got new ones, same result. Ordered an American Defense mount and it's awesome.

As for the "it's not true 1x", yes there is a SLIGHT magnification if you're really looking for it. It's really not noticeable and doesn't affect function at all. And yes, there is a blue tint.

Overall, this is a fantastic optic. The glass is awesome and the field of view is great.

I went and fiddled with MROs when I was deciding what optics to switch our job guns to. I wasn't impressed with it over the Aimpoint PRO. Then I got my hands on some Vortex Strike Eagles.... that ended that discussion. [smile]

The PRO is awesome, but it's kind of a different animal (it's not a micro red dot). Main downside to larger red dots like PRO is the weight. Not an issue if bench shooting, but if you have an already heavy rifle the micro sights can save some valuable ounces.

I have an Aimpoint T1 and a Trijicon MRO

The size and weight difference is negligible. The MRO has a better field of view, and the control on top is more user friendly. My T1 is on its original battery for 4 1/2 years, the MRO is not old enough to compare, but I'm not operating operationally so 6 years of battery life is not really a concern. The price point of the MRO is very attractive, and for that reason It will be popular.

You can't compare any 1x red-dot to a variable power optic (Vortex Strike Eagle) because variable power and all...

Last edited:
I have an Aimpoint T1 and a Trijicon MRO

The size and weight difference is negligible. The MRO has a better field of view, and the control on top is more user friendly. My T1 is on its original battery for 4 1/2 years, the MRO is not old enough to compare, but I'm not operating operationally so 6 years of battery life is not really a concern. The price point of the MRO is very attractive, and for that reason It will be popular.

You can't compare any 1x red-dot to a variable power optic (Vortex Strike Eagle) because variable power and all...

So which do you seem to prefer and why? I'm in the market for a QC optic and I'm currently leaning toward an MRO. The wider FOV is what I'm after. I wanted an EOtech but had to scratch that off the list.

I just picked one up from Optics Planet. They have something going on where you can call or chat if you're interested and the rep will cut a deal for a discounted price if you just ask. Got an MRO in a SideLok mount for $491 shipped. The mount is usually over $100 I think.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico....html?_iv_code=TJ-RD-MRO25-MRO-C-2200003-KIT1

Waiting patiently for everyone to tell me that the MRO sucks and the SideLoks are shit. Be gentle. [laugh]

Very timely post. Thank you.

I just ordered one yesterday for my 9mm AR carbine. Glad to hear positive reviews.

I think I'm going to spring for the Midwest Industries lower 1/3 QD mount.

I'm curious how you like it as I am looking at reflex sights and micro dots to use for USPSA instead on my AimPoint M3.

I'm curious how you like it as I am looking at reflex sights and micro dots to use for USPSA instead on my AimPoint M3.

I went with the American Defense Quick-Detachable Full co-witness mount, and I really like the setup. The FOV seems huge on the MRO. It's light, and the dot is crisp. It seems noticeably crisper than my AIMPOINT PRO. It might not be, but it seems that way. The dot is fine enough to accurately zero the rifle. Some of the other sights kind of "blob out" the target. I also like the 2 million-billion year battery life.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you're welcome to come and shoot mine any time and see if you like it. It's mounted on my 9mm AR, which is a hoot in and of itself.

Back
Top Bottom