transaction reporting responsability...

free wifi ?

I just verified that the first 1000ft of single mode fiber we ran at Hopkinton Sportsmens works. Now, we just have to get power to that drop point, and get another 1000ft of fiber run, and we can have free Wifi at both the rifle and pistol ranges to facilitate transfers. Should be ready in the spring.

Last edited:
its even more messed up if you sell a long gun out of state, say to someone in NH from MA as the system doesn't recognize anything out of state as it is a MA only system - you sell it and you can't do a form to say you sold it since it won't take a non MA dealer license or non resident license.

Unsure if it will or won't accept a transaction with a NR LTC, but if it does, FRB can hand that over to BATFE/FBI for federal prosecution for an interstate transfer between 2 private parties who are not both resident of the same state.

I guess that we are talking about different things here. Are you going to take money from someone and give them a gun without doing the transaction on eFA-10?

Of course not. You do recognize that such an event is still a transfer, right?

In such a case, has the buyer broken a law, of just the seller?

You're missing the "if" part.
Assume the seller is sloppy and screws up and neither the seller or buyer notices.

So, to cut through all of the confusion. The real question is, " if I buy a gun from a retard, and trust said retard to submit an online form to the FRB, AND the retard screws it up, am I in any trouble?".....

pound-me-in-the-ass-prison1.jpg

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128A

"Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal developed by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall require each person selling or transferring a firearm, shotgun or rifle pursuant to this section to electronically provide, though the portal, such information as is determined to be necessary to verify the identification of the seller and purchaser and ensure that the sale or transfer complies with this section. Upon submission of the required information, the portal shall automatically review such information and display a message indicating whether the seller may proceed with the sale or transfer and shall provide any further instructions for the seller as determined to be necessary by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall keep a record of any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section and shall provide the seller and purchaser with verification of such sale or transfer."

Of course not. You do recognize that such an event is still a transfer, right?

In such a case, has the buyer broken a law, of just the seller?

This thread was started by you and, I presume, was asking the question about legal transfers between appropriately licensed individuals, meaning that the transfer was intended for the firearm to change ownership from one person to the next. Now, if you want to extrapolate further, loaning a firearm to an appropriately licensed individual is legal, but I would not go as far to state that it was a legal transfer since no paperwork is needed to loan a firearm, and ownership of that firearm has not changed.

If you look back at post #24, I transferred a firearm to another NES member, who a couple of months later received a letter from FRB stating that the transaction was invalid. If IIRC, there was no reason given, but I never saw the actual letter. The point though is, I submitted the paper FA-10 that was filled out by the both of us, but he is the one that received the invalid letter, so I can only assume something was wrong with the buyer's information or that FRB screwed something up because I never received anything from FRB.

Why would two NH residents sell a gun to one another in MA? It doesn't make sense.

That's easy: For instance: Alex and Pat are both high-power shooters, and both have MA non-resident LTCs. Alex and Pat are talking about carry guns at a high-power match at Reading Revolver, and it turns out that Pat likes Alex's G26 more than Alex, so they agree to a sale. Pat lives in Hinsdale (next to Brattleboro VT) and Pat lives in Gorham (Half way to Canada on the Maine border) and they both commitments shortly after the match. Pat has cash, Alex hands it to Pat. It's a 100% legal sale from a Federal standpoint (they're both residents of the same state) but MA requires them to report the transaction none the less.

Any sane NH resident would simply do nothing, since there's no way anyone could ever prove they hadn't met in NH just before or just after the match, but technically MA law requires reporting.

With regard to the FA-10 paper system, it wasn't always that easy. I sold, transferred, handed over, gave (use whatever description you want to call it) another NES member a G19 that we recorded on a paper FA-10 early in 2014. This occurred about 3 weeks before my LTC renewal date. I sent the FA-10 in with a letter describing the transaction. About 2 months later, the member that I transferred the gun to received a letter from the FRB telling him that the FA-10 wasn't done properly and not was accepted or words to that effect. I never figured out why it didn't go through because I believe at that time paper FA-10 forms were still good to use. BTW, he supplied the FA-10 even though I wanted to do the eFA-10 in a DD parking lot.

In any event, to resolve the matter, I asked him for his PIN # and then did the transaction by eFA-10 and never heard another word about it.

You made it much harder than it really was. Their sending the form back was acknowledgement that they'd received notification of the transaction, and therefore that the you'd notified them in writing, as per the law. Sellers were required to notify them in writing, not to make sure the state did anything in particular with the information.

I would *never* give my pin to anyone, ever.

It's interesting because if it had anything to do with my LTC expiring, I never received anything from the FRB as the person that transferred the firearm. However, as the transferee, he received the letter from FRB.

Right, because only his address showed up on the FA10, and the FRB couldn't be bothered to look up yours from your LTC number. Not your problem.

That system is gone now, so it's kind of irrelevant for typical face-to-face transfers.

So, to cut through all of the confusion. The real question is, " if I buy a gun from a retard, and trust said retard to submit an online form to the FRB, AND the retard screws it up, am I in any trouble?".....

( pound in prison image )

Why do you think this? Can you find a law, regulation, ruling, anything? I haven't been able to confirm anything like that.

Last edited:
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section128A

"Any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section shall comply with section 131E and shall, prior to or at the point of sale, be conducted over a real time web portal developed by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall require each person selling or transferring a firearm, shotgun or rifle pursuant to this section to electronically provide, though the portal, such information as is determined to be necessary to verify the identification of the seller and purchaser and ensure that the sale or transfer complies with this section. Upon submission of the required information, the portal shall automatically review such information and display a message indicating whether the seller may proceed with the sale or transfer and shall provide any further instructions for the seller as determined to be necessary by the department of criminal justice information services. The department of criminal justice information services shall keep a record of any sale or transfer conducted pursuant to this section and shall provide the seller and purchaser with verification of such sale or transfer."

Goddamnit...

I read that like 40 times, and got all swimmy with the legal-speak.

I think that answers the question: It's the seller's responsibility only.

I am not aware of any law that requires adding a serial number to one not requiring a number by law (for example, pre-1968 guns or shost guns build from 80% lowers)

Has anyone on this list built an 80% lower into a gun and reported such on an eFA-10 without a serial number?

If you want to sell a 80% you have to have it engraved which is 100% legal.

Now if your asking do people build a 80% and engrave and file a fa10 on . Most don't .
Where was a transaction taken place ? Between my drill press , tools and me?
No sale happen .

Personally I'll put a ss# on my builds just so if I get pull over I don't need to explain federal law to a cop.

If you look back at post #24, I transferred a firearm to another NES member, who a couple of months later received a letter from FRB stating that the transaction was invalid. If IIRC, there was no reason given, but I never saw the actual letter. The point though is, I submitted the paper FA-10 that was filled out by the both of us, but he is the one that received the invalid letter, so I can only assume something was wrong with the buyer's information or that FRB screwed something up because I never received anything from FRB.

I've gotten some of those, they look like this:

attachment.php

Note that it says, "...Not been recorded"

You, as a seller, have absolutely *zero* responsibly to make sure the state records anything. You are required by law to report the transaction, which you did. The letter they sent to the buyer is proof of that.

They send it to the buyer and not the seller because they're lazy, and the buyer's mailing address is on the form, but the seller's isn't.

If you want to sell a 80% you have to have it engraved which is 100% legal.

Now if your asking do people build a 80% and engrave and file a fa10 on . Most don't .
Where was a transaction taken place ? Between my drill press , tools and me?
No sale happen .

Personally I'll put a ss# on my builds just so if I get pull over I don't need to explain federal law to a cop.

You have to file an FA10 as soon as it can go "bang", regardless of how it got there. If you build an 80% lower or a serialized 1911 frame or buy a full gun or whatever.

A serial number isn't required on a completed rifle made from an un-serialized 80% lower, so just use "none" in the S/N box.

You only have to put the serial number on when you sell/transfer it to someone else.

You have to file an FA10 as soon as it can go "bang", regardless of how it got there. If you build an 80% lower or a serialized 1911 frame or buy a full gun or whatever.

A serial number isn't required on a completed rifle made from an un-serialized 80% lower, so just use "none" in the S/N box.

You only have to put the serial number on when you sell/transfer it to someone else.

Federally you can't make a gun then sell it with out a ss. That a ATF rule. I'll find the law when I'm home but it's federal law.

The not filing one on your own 80% build is a joke. It's register the transaction action . I'm joking about the fact they call it a transaction registry not a gun registry .

That's easy: For instance: Alex and Pat are both high-power shooters, and both have MA non-resident LTCs. Alex and Pat are talking about carry guns at a high-power match at Reading Revolver, and it turns out that Pat likes Alex's G26 more than Alex, so they agree to a sale. Pat lives in Hinsdale (next to Brattleboro VT) and Pat lives in Gorham (Half way to Canada on the Maine border) and they both commitments shortly after the match. Pat has cash, Alex hands it to Pat. It's a 100% legal sale from a Federal standpoint (they're both residents of the same state) but MA requires them to report the transaction none the less.

Any sane NH resident would simply do nothing, since there's no way anyone could ever prove they hadn't met in NH just before or just after the match, but technically MA law requires reporting.

Please make up your facts first prior to making any comments later on to support a non-related point that is based on being absurd.

You made it much harder than it really was. Their sending the form back was acknowledgement that they'd received notification of the transaction, and therefore that the you'd notified them in writing, as per the law. Sellers were required to notify them in writing, not to make sure the state did anything in particular with the information.

Not that it matters, and since we did not know what the issue was, he is a NES member so we worked together to make sure that everything was right. So, the first thing we did was to fill out the Firearms License Validation form to make sure that he wasn't being denied for any LTC reason. As you are aware, you do need to give your pin # to the FFL when you purchase a firearm. Do you whisper it into his/her ear?

Right, because only his address showed up on the FA10, and the FRB couldn't be bothered to look up yours from your LTC number. Not your problem.

As I stated, since I never saw the FRB letter, I presumed it had something to do with his information on the paper FA-10. However, after I was given his pin number and confirmed correct license validation, I input his same exact information from the paper FA-10 copy that I had into the eFA-10, and never heard anything more about it. Therefore, your question was, who is at fault if any, the buyer or the seller. In this case, it was apparently the buyer, which should have answered your question that you originally posed way, way back in post #1, however, we still do not know the reason for the denial.

That system is gone now, so it's kind of irrelevant for typical face-to-face transfers.

Going from FA-10 to eFA-10, what is made irrelevant?

Please see my comments in bold.

Last edited:
I've gotten some of those, they look like this:

attachment.php

Note that it says, "...Not been recorded"

You, as a seller, have absolutely *zero* responsibly to make sure the state records anything. You are required by law to report the transaction, which you did. The letter they sent to the buyer is proof of that.

They send it to the buyer and not the seller because they're lazy, and the buyer's mailing address is on the form, but the seller's isn't.

The paper FA-10 that the buyer brought to conduct the transaction was not a photocopy or a .pdf form, so I am not sure what your point is, and it was serialized. Since it was denied, I have no problem in giving out the paper serial number if you want it.

Please see my comments in bold.

milktree said:

Please make up your facts first prior to making any comments later on to support a non-related point that is based on being absurd.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

You asked, "why would two NH residents do a transfer in MA" (paraphrased), and I answered why they might. Yes, it's a made up story, but not a completely implausible one.

Not that it matters, and since we did not know what the issue was, he is a NES member so we worked together to make sure that everything was right. So, the first thing we did was to fill out the Firearms License Validation form to make sure that he wasn't being denied for any LTC reason. As you are aware, you do need to give your pin # to the FFL when you purchase a firearm. Do you whisper it into his/her ear?

Dude, you type it into a keypad. You don't tell the dealer. At least that's the way it worked the last time I went to Four Seasons.

As I stated, since I never saw the FRB letter, I presumed it had something to do with his information on the paper FA-10.

You didn't find out? They send the FA10 back with the nastygram, so it should have been trivial for the buyer to verify his information.

However, after I was given his pin number and confirmed correct license validation, I input his same exact information from the paper FA-10 copy that I had into the eFA-10, and never heard anything more about it. Therefore, your question was, who is at fault if any, the buyer or the seller. In this case, it was apparently the buyer, which should have answered your question that you originally posed way, way back in post #1, however, we still do not know the reason for the denial.

Since by law in the old system it was *only* the seller who had to report anything, how could it have been the buyer's problem? Even if you as the seller had put in a fake name and invalid LTC nuber, that's *still* not the buyer's problem, since it was never the responsibility of the buyer, ever. The entire burden was on the seller.

Your experience says nothing about law, it only shows how the FRB rejects paperwork that isn't perfect. I'd argue (based on the law and the instructions on an FA10) that the FRB is screwing up by notifying the buyer, and not the seller.

Going from FA-10 to eFA-10, what is made irrelevant?

No, going from FA10/eFA10 to the pre-crime "universal background check" nonsense we have now made those irrelevant.

There's also a nostrum going around that FA10 bullshit only apllies to MA residents, but I forget what chapter and verse this is based on.

Not that any of this is worth getting worked up about anyways.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

You asked, "why would two NH residents do a transfer in MA" (paraphrased), and I answered why they might. Yes, it's a made up story, but not a completely implausible one

Okay, so let's change the story. In order for Alex and Pat to save money, they met at a convenient point in NH and drove to Reading Revolver in one car. Pat likes Alex's G26 after shooting it, so they waited to cross back over the border into NH where they left the other car. At that point, Pat purchased the G26 while in NH. End of your fabricated story.

Dude, you type it into a keypad. You don't tell the dealer. At least that's the way it worked the last time I went to Four Seasons.

The last time I purchased a firearm at an FFL, I didn't punch my pin # number into a keypad.

You didn't find out? They send the FA10 back with the nastygram, so it should have been trivial for the buyer to verify his information.

How is it trivial for the buyer to verify his information if the "
canned form" doesn't state why the transaction wasn't recorded? Furthermore, as I stated, all the info from the paper form was input into the eFA form, so as I stated, neither he nor I know why the transaction was not recorded, but it does state at the bottom of the form that if the buyer didn't correct whatever was wrong within 7 days of receipt of letter, he, the buyer, was subject to criminal charges.

BTW, the form that you posted is the first time that I ever saw one, so thanks for posting it.

Since by law in the old system it was *only* the seller who had to report anything, how could it have been the buyer's problem? Even if you as the seller had put in a fake name and invalid LTC nuber, that's *still* not the buyer's problem, since it was never the responsibility of the buyer, ever. The entire burden was on the seller.

Not sure what you are even talking about here since the seller still fills out the eFA-10 form using his license and pin number to log on to the transaction portal.

Your experience says nothing about law, it only shows how the FRB rejects paperwork that isn't perfect. I'd argue (based on the law and the instructions on an FA10) that the FRB is screwing up by notifying the buyer, and not the seller.

Okay, so you state that FRB screwed up by notifying the buyer. End of story, but prove it.

No, going from FA10/eFA10 to the pre-crime "universal background check" nonsense we have now made those irrelevant.

Do you do a universal background check when you conduct a FTF transaction using the eFA-10 portal? What are you even talking about?

Again, see my comments in bold above. Your original question from post #1 was answered, so what are you trying to accomplish now?

There's also a nostrum going around that FA10 bullshit only apllies to MA residents, but I forget what chapter and verse this is based on.

wiktionary.org said:
Noun

nostrum ‎(plural nostrums or nostra)

1) A medicine or remedy in conventional use which has not been proven to have any desirable medical effects.
2) An ineffective but favorite remedy for a problem, usually involving political action.

That's good.

128b says, "any resident...or any non-resident..." which implies that FA10 bullshit does apply to non-residents.

Not that any of this is worth getting worked up about anyways.

especially if you're not a MA resident!

Last edited:
Again, see my comments in bold above. Your original question from post #1 was answered, so what are you trying to accomplish now?

I can't deal with your in-line bolding rather than sorting out the quotes.

Fabricated story was an answer to your question as to why it might happen. Sure, there could be other ways to do it, but that's not the point. My point was that there's a reasonable explanation as to why it might happen that way.

Even if you do tell a dealer your pin, that's very different than telling a stranger. Just like you'll tell an online vendor your credit card number, and your bank your SSN, but you wouldn't tell anyone else.

When the FRB sent the FA10 and nastygram back to the buyer, it's trivial for the buyer to just look at the FA10 and verify the information is correct, because, you know, it's him, and the form is in his hands.

The FRB says things that are wrong and lies all the time, the existence of the words at the bottom of that form letter don't make it law. The law said it was the *seller's* problem, not the buyers.

It sure looks like the law *still* says it's the seller's problem, not the buyers. (in much the same way that the EOPSS and AG's lists only apply to dealers, not to anyone who buys from them)

I don't think you have to prove anything, the state does. They say, "you didn't notify us of this transfer", and you say, "what transfer", and they say, "this one we're holding the paperwork for right here" and you say, "How did you know about it if I didn't notify you?" I don't see the problem.

The change from FA10/eFA10 to "online portal" is a "universal background check". When you put the LTC numbers into the portal, it does a check with the state's databases to make sure you're *still* a good guy (not a bad guy) so the transaction can proceed.

Contrast that with before, where you did the transfer, and reported it within 7 days. (not a background check)

It's totally stupid, because if anything happens that would cause you to not pass the check, you've been arrested and/or the cops come to your house and take your LTC and all your guns, so you wouldn't even have an LTC to show the seller. The only possible "window of vulnerability" is if someone takes out a restraining order without your knowledge, and you try to buy a gun *after* the restraining order has gone into the MIRCS/EOPS/FRB's computers, but *before* the cops show up at your house to take your LTC. That's a really, really small window of time.

That's good.

128b says, "any resident...or any non-resident..." which implies that FA10 bullshit does apply to non-residents.

especially if you're not a MA resident!
What the law says doesn't matter that much in this state. What state agencies and judges think matters more. For example, shotguns with greater than 5 round tubes are available at virtually every shop even though the letter of the law makes them illegal. De facto != De jure

I can't deal with your in-line bolding rather than sorting out the quotes.

Fabricated story was an answer to your question as to why it might happen. Sure, there could be other ways to do it, but that's not the point. My point was that there's a reasonable explanation as to why it might happen that way.

Even if you do tell a dealer your pin, that's very different than telling a stranger. Just like you'll tell an online vendor your credit card number, and your bank your SSN, but you wouldn't tell anyone else.

When the FRB sent the FA10 and nastygram back to the buyer, it's trivial for the buyer to just look at the FA10 and verify the information is correct, because, you know, it's him, and the form is in his hands.

The FRB says things that are wrong and lies all the time, the existence of the words at the bottom of that form letter don't make it law. The law said it was the *seller's* problem, not the buyers.

It sure looks like the law *still* says it's the seller's problem, not the buyers. (in much the same way that the EOPSS and AG's lists only apply to dealers, not to anyone who buys from them)

I don't think you have to prove anything, the state does. They say, "you didn't notify us of this transfer", and you say, "what transfer", and they say, "this one we're holding the paperwork for right here" and you say, "How did you know about it if I didn't notify you?" I don't see the problem.

The change from FA10/eFA10 to "online portal" is a "universal background check". When you put the LTC numbers into the portal, it does a check with the state's databases to make sure you're *still* a good guy (not a bad guy) so the transaction can proceed.

Contrast that with before, where you did the transfer, and reported it within 7 days. (not a background check)

It's totally stupid, because if anything happens that would cause you to not pass the check, you've been arrested and/or the cops come to your house and take your LTC and all your guns, so you wouldn't even have an LTC to show the seller. The only possible "window of vulnerability" is if someone takes out a restraining order without your knowledge, and you try to buy a gun *after* the restraining order has gone into the MIRCS/EOPS/FRB's computers, but *before* the cops show up at your house to take your LTC. That's a really, really small window of time.

Nice try to backtrack out of everything you stated.

In other news, Saudi millionaire in London was acquitted for rape when he just had sex with one woman, and still having an erection, he slipped and fell on another woman, penetrating her as well. [laugh]

A millionaire businessman has been found not guilty of rape after claiming he accidentally penetrated her when he tripped and fell.Ehsan Abdulaziz, 46, was initially accused of forcing himself on the 18-year-old as she slept on a couch at his London flat after a night of drinking.
The Saudi property developer said he had already had sex with the young woman’s 24-year-old friend and it was possible his penis may have been poking out of his underwear when he tripped.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...RA24bFpRXggYEF5yg&sig2=RkA0rqYrZ0TTrAA4SEsGXw

Even if you do tell a dealer your pin, that's very different than telling a stranger.
My BS flags went up somewhere about 50 posts earlier in the thread where a person, "seller," stated they asked "buyer" after the fact for his PIN so an electronic transaction could be recorded on a eFA-10.

Maybe they did ask the buyer, yet only the seller's PIN is required on a eFA-10. The buyer provides their license number but not their PIN.

Massachusetts General Law c. 140, §§128A and 128B, requires all individuals who sell, transfer, inherit, or lose a firearm to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss of the firearms to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services Firearms Records Bureau (FRB).

As the buyer I don't care what the seller does. I am legal. I have no obligation to report the sale. I do have an obligation to buy from a duly licensed person.

(My brain starts hurting when I try to figure out what MIRCS computer will do when I sell the firearm that is not registered to me...)

Massachusetts General Law c. 140, §§128A and 128B, requires all individuals who sell, transfer, inherit, or lose a firearm to report the sale, transfer, inheritance, or loss of the firearms to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services Firearms Records Bureau (FRB).

As the buyer I don't care what the seller does. I am legal. I have no obligation to report the sale. I do have an obligation to buy from a duly licensed person.

(My brain starts hurting when I try to figure out what MIRCS computer will do when I sell the firearm that is not registered to me...)

No need for your brain to hurt. The database records transactions, it is not a registry for firearms. The database doesn't care at all about matching the serials to a gun that is "registered" to you or anything like that. it doesn't even check.

No need for your brain to hurt. The database records transactions, it is not a registry for firearms. The database doesn't care at all about matching the serials to a gun that is "registered" to you or anything like that. it doesn't even check.

So if someone files a 209A against me and claims I have a firearm the local PD will politely knock on my door and ask me if I have any firearms and I will say no and politely close the door. Or are they going to show up with a list of serial numbers and apply for a warrant if I can't produce them.

"The Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) maintains a database of licenses issued and records of firearms sales by gun dealers, as well as private transfers of weapons." AKA a registry of firearms. It would only take a few lines of code to print out what is registered to me and flag a sale where I am attempting to sell a firearm registered to someone else such as the previous owner.

Back
Top Bottom