• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Face to Face C&R Transactions

I've never done a FTF C&R sale so I'm curious if all Brady laws apply, or if you simply record the buyers C&R license info into your book, the same way you would if you shipped it to another C&R holder.

Yes record the acquisition in your bound book and file the FA-10. I believe both the seller and buyer must exchange copies of their C&R licenses.

If I ship a rifle to another town in this state, C&R to C&R, is that an illegal transaction? If not, what's the difference if I ship it, or if it's FTF? Using just C&R licenses?

If it's an in-state sale, why would the buyer need a C&R?

They don't need the C&R, just a LTC.

If I ship a rifle to another town in this state, C&R to C&R, is that an illegal transaction? If not, what's the difference if I ship it, or if it's FTF? Using just C&R licenses?

Illegal per MGL. Feds allow it but MA does not.

My question is, can you ship it within the state?

Not legally.

C&R does not exempt you from MA law. All MA laws apply for handling transactions inside the state regardless of the C&R. Once you realize that all the questions go away. First and foremost, follow MA law and forget you have a C&R. Then, apply federal law for C&R as additional requirements (exchange C&R licenses, record in your bound book). NOTHING about holding a C&R exempts you or changes your obligations under MA law. Face to face, EFA10, etc are all in effect.

If it's an in-state sale, why would the buyer need a C&R?

2 Seperate things
1) Mass Law
2) Fed C&R law

The buyer need not a C&R for in state as of yet, Mass does not recognize them. Assuming that the buyer holds a mass resident fid/ltc, further assuming the seller is at 3 or less non dealer sales. As the c&r does not lift the more than 4 sales per calendar year ftf. If the seller is also a c&r licensse then the disposition must be listed in the book. This is true even if the firearm was owned prior to the c&r license was obtained. If the buyer also holds a c&r then yes the c&r license copies are exchanged and the buyer logs in an acquisition and seller logs in a disposition.
**not a lawyer, hire a real one if need be, advice here is given freely**

Back
Top Bottom