Trading/transaction limitation - grace time limit?

I had a bad trade recently and the magazine supplied in his gun was not working well. Then the person complained that my Glock had problem in the slide release and have to spend $65 + parts to fix it. (I never felt it was a problem - it is a subcompact glock)

I offer to trade back, but he said that I have to wait 14 days. Is there any law to wait until we could trade back?

Of the trade, one go through FFL and one FTF on eFA10. Why would it raise any red flag with moving back-and-forth?

If you buy a gun and transfer thru a ffl you are good to go, if you use a ftf transaction you have to wait 14 days, otherwise the atf considers that a straw purchase. And they start looking into it , it is a federal law, not just in mass.

If you buy a gun and transfer thru a ffl you are good to go, if you use a ftf transaction you have to wait 14 days, otherwise the atf considers that a straw purchase. And they start looking into it , it is a federal law, not just in mass.

Cite, please.

This is strange. does private transaction go through aft at all? I thought that FFL would. Where and when they are involved in private transaction

Each state handles private transaction differently, and aft involves in all of them?

I have never read or heard this. Please share your source. Thanks.

Add me to the list of "doubting Thomases"! Please provide a citation otherwise this sounds like one of the thousands of untrue stories we've all been told at one time or another.

Waiiiiiit a minute, you just made that up!

A straw purchase is buying a gun for someone who cannot legally purchase it himself (E.G. minor, prohibited person, etc.), or lying to an FFL that you are the buyer, when in fact you are buying it for someone else (E.G: Gift for fried/family/someoe who is legally capable of owning/purchasing said firearm.)

Add me to the citation needed group, because I have never heard of this before, and it sounds totally false.

I have never seen anyone actually cite any reliable document stating an actual time required between a purchase and sale. If I go to my friendly neighborhood FFL, buy a gun from them, and the next day decide I don't want it anymore, I can go ahead and sell that gun to somebody else. That is not a straw purchase, I bought the gun for myself, and later sold it.

I think the confusion comes in because making a sale so soon after a purchase may give the appearance of a straw purchase, so some people advise to wait a week, two weeks, etc. before selling a gun.

A straw purchase is buying a gun for someone who cannot legally purchase it himself (E.G. minor, prohibited person, etc.), or lying to an FFL that you are the buyer, when in fact you are buying it for someone else (E.G: Gift for fried/family/someoe who is legally capable of owning/purchasing said firearm.)

Add me to the citation needed group, because I have never heard of this before, and it sounds totally false.

Gifts are specifically exempted, and are not considered straw purchases. See https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf, section "15. STRAW PURCHASES"

Where a person purchases a firearm
with the intent of making a gift of the
firearm to another person, the person
making the purchase is indeed the true
purchaser. There is no straw purchaser
in these instances.

Back
Top Bottom