• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Traffic stop; LEO asks you, 'do you have any guns in the car'

And how many drivers answer that question, thereby incriminating themselves? LEO makes the stop for an expired inspection sticker, driver admits to rolling through a stop sign - double score!
Yup, generally that's the point of asking the question.

Safe to say, if you're being stopped for infraction, the seizure and investigation have begun. Fight back by either saying "Not really" or answer it with a question--"Was I speeding?" There are a number of ways to answer the question without admitting your responsibility of the infraction while not becoming confrontational.

The only other reason you'd ever ask is to see if a driver who appears oblivious to the world around them is actually aware of what they did wrong. The number of people who are off in their own little world and have no clue what they did would amaze you.

You are not even making sense. Try again.

No. It's cool. If your extrapolation regarding that question being asked on a traffic stop is what passes for logic (at least related to LEOs) here, like Yoda, there is no 'try'

Yup, generally that's the point of asking the question.

Safe to say, if you're being stopped for infraction, the seizure and investigation have begun. Fight back by either saying "Not really" or answer it with a question--"Was I speeding?" There are a number of ways to answer the question without admitting your responsibility of the infraction while not becoming confrontational.

The only other reason you'd ever ask is to see if a driver who appears oblivious to the world around them is actually aware of what they did wrong. The number of people who are off in their own little world and have no clue what they did would amaze you.
That's what I would do, but of course you run the risk of being branded as a "roadside lawyer" if you do that. You may have noticed in your travels, a lot of cops HATE "roadside lawyers".

No. It's cool. If your extrapolation regarding that question being asked on a traffic stop is what passes for logic (at least related to LEOs) here, like Yoda, there is no 'try'
So what you are saying is LEOs aren't asking that question to gain an admission of guilt? If not, what is the purpose, other than idle chatter?

I don't think my reasoning is beyond belief at all. I think it's the most likely explanation of why a question like that would be asked.

So what you are saying is LEOs aren't asking that question to gain an admission of guilt? If not, what is the purpose, other than idle chatter?

I don't think my reasoning is beyond belief at all. I think it's the most likely explanation of why a question like that would be asked.

I actually don't have a problem with your assertion of why the question is asked. Where you went with it after that was silly. Obie nailed it as usual, it's more about figuring out if the person was just completely out to lunch. Whether you tell me you knew why you were stopped or not makes no difference to me. The clerks in my district were throwing out 75% of what we wrote anyways, and we didn't write a lot.

Are you a script writer? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually don't have a problem with your assertion of why the question is asked. Where you went with it after that was silly. Obie nailed it as usual, it's more about figuring out if the person was just completely out to lunch. Whether you tell me you knew why you were stopped or not makes no difference to me. The clerks in my district were throwing out 75% of what we wrote anyways, and we didn't write a lot.

Are you a script writer? ;)

Funny clip :)

I'm fine with what you stated, makes sense to me. I haven't been stopped on over 15 years, but I hope if I am, it's by either Obie or you.

See, it was worth trying [laugh]

Last edited by a moderator:
papers.jpg

[laugh]

I don't (believe it or not) think "walking the beat" is a complete solution for large communities. A part of it, probably and maybe even in the largest (like NYC).

In towns and small cities, getting to know the townfolk (and being one of them) is essential to build the trust you need (IMO) to work effectively.

You definitely need a mixture.

Maybe I watched too much Andy Griffin when I was younger. :) I will say that MA is kind of unique in how distinct towns feel from each other. Having lived in the DC metro area last, the "towns" of Northern Virginia don't feel at all distinct. In MA, the towns have personality, and many of them lend themselves to more positive police/community engagement.

You can't get rid of cruisers, but a better balance between cruisers/bike/walking should be the goal, IMO.

I don't think anyone in Law Enforcement will be trying to recruit me anytime soon, but if I were a town LEO, I'd be on bike and/or walking.

I don't think anyone in Law Enforcement will be trying to recruit me anytime soon, but if I were a town LEO, I'd be on bike and/or walking.
Trust me, by the first 90 degree summer day followed by an afternoon thunderstorm without shelter and you'll be eating those words.

Everything in balance. Walk somedays, a cruiser on others. I'm not trained to ride a bike due to scheduling conflicts, but I'd like to do that, too.

Keep your hands on the wheel - Interior lights on - Only move when asked.
First Response - "Is that why you pulled me over?"
LEO - "No, but I need..blah blah blah"
Second Response - "Yes, but I assure you it is secured and of no threat"

The second statment is the key, it implies and means that the weapon is either under direct control OR in a lockbox. However, if he presses the issue and you do not have your gear in-line with the law then welcome to legal hell.

I'm not trained to ride a bike due to scheduling conflicts, but I'd like to do that, too.

I got ya. [laugh]

adult-on-training-wheels.jpg

Obie - is it true that on days like the 90 deg days we've had, there's less street crime anyway. LIke the thieves would rather be inside in the A/C also?

Weren't all the major cities blaming their rises in crime on the heat wave? [laugh]

Last edited:
Not saying everybody on here is "Anti-Cop"

But it is really sad to see how many are...

"Just Saying"

Is it anti-plumber to expect a plumber to come into your home, promptly identify the current issue, it's cause and then fix it correctly?

Is it anti-teacher to expect teachers to know the subjects they are teaching, to recognize that the edge case students just might be a shining star and not "that problem kid" and teach based on facts, not superstition?

Is it anti-store clerk to expect that clerks can do simple arithmetic, can make correct change and if all heck breaks loose and the register won't work, can still do checkouts, even if they are slower at it?

Is it anti-cop to expect that our citizens chosen to enforce the law, also follow the law and respect our constitution and society?

If those are ANTI points of view, count me in...

You don't notice the positive threads because honestly there are fewer of them. Look and you'll find them. When you watch the news tonight, keep two lists. One for the postive spin stories and one for the negative spin stories. One list will be longer. We notice and report the negative. It doesn't mean we don't notice and appreciate the positive.

One for the postive spin stories and one for the negative spin stories. One list will be longer. We notice and report the negative. It doesn't mean we don't notice and appreciate the positive.

Sounds exactly like another group of people nationwide that are a majority good, but have a few bad apples; that gets shit on and mis-represented by the media. ;)

"Just Saying"
Most cops are just doing their job. But there are a considerable number of them who I can only describe as "anti-civilian". Particularly toward gun owners. Just read on other threads here what normal people have to go through to get a LTC application in Chicopee. That PD is only one shithole in a big universe.

Now back to the original point of this thread. Many people don't appreciate the simple fact that in any "official" LEO encounter (investigation, car stop, etc), the cop is not your friend, including investigations where you think you are "helping". You are adversaries. Hopefully the cop is honest and fair, but clearly that is not always the case. Given that simple truth, it seems basic common sense that you should STFU, at least until you get legal representation. Most cops (including many on this forum) don't seem to agree with this. They just want you to answer all the questions. If you don't, you are put in that special category known derisively as "roadside lawyer". I call it exercising the rights which were enumerated in the US Bill of Rights.

I actually like almost all of the Chicopee PD. The majority of those whom I've had interaction with have been knowledgable and respectful. We've had issues with B&Es of our home and vehicles as well as real estate fraud and the CPD has been very responsive. I do not throw them all in one pile and hate the group as a whole. I do not care for those very few who abuse their power or offer no legitimate/legal reasoning for their actions.

Most cops are just doing their job. But there are a considerable number of them who I can only describe as "anti-civilian". Particularly toward gun owners. Just read on other threads here what normal people have to go through to get a LTC application in Chicopee. That PD is only one shithole in a big universe.

Now back to the original point of this thread. Many people don't appreciate the simple fact that in any "official" LEO encounter (investigation, car stop, etc), the cop is not your friend, including investigations where you think you are "helping". You are adversaries. Hopefully the cop is honest and fair, but clearly that is not always the case. Given that simple truth, it seems basic common sense that you should STFU, at least until you get legal representation. Most cops (including many on this forum) don't seem to agree with this. They just want you to answer all the questions. If you don't, you are put in that special category known derisively as "roadside lawyer". I call it exercising the rights which were enumerated in the US Bill of Rights.

Where is that video in which even a LEO says do NOT talk to the police? Ever.

"Just Saying"

Well, let's be fair - how many cop/non-cop interactions start with "License and registration" (or similar language)?

It's already set up for a less than pleasant time.

You, as a cop, know other cops as individuals, while non-cops see a unit of a large blue machine.

Back in the day, Officer Friendly walked the beat, and interacted face-to-face with people without asking for papers; now, John Law drives around in a cruiser, windows up (yes, I like AC too, but I'm making a point); wearing armor and more belt equipment than Batman. And, it seems that on the drop of a dime, the SWAT unit is called out, with the APC (as was noted in another thread, a LEO said it "Had that new tank smell").

My point? There is more anti-police-state sentiment than anti individual cop. All of the one-on-one ineractions that I've had with the Framingham PD has been fine (I'm a good boy). A couple I've met in non-official capacities, and they seemed like regular guys. But I truly gotta say, that when I saw a pair of black SWAT-wagons tooling down Concord St. a couple of months back, I was ....disturbed.

This is not to call you out in any way, but you identify yourself as a cop, and a Framinghammer, so rather than make generalizations, I'd make specific points. You, as a badge holder, likely do not have to deal with the attitude expressed by Topcop earlier in the thread.....but if you did, you might have a different attitude.

Just sayin'

[laugh]

Back
Top Bottom