Traffic stop; LEO asks you, 'do you have any guns in the car'

This is to all the LEOs active in this thread.

The mere fact that you are on this forum means that you are in some ways different from other LEOs. Your hanging with "the sheep" rather than only other LEOs.

I have a couple of friends who are cops and have had some interesting situations when out with them and their other cop friends.

In one case a CT state trooper got pie faced then drove home at 100 mph. GPS would help in that situation, since there is no reason for an off duty trooper to be going 100 mph down I95.

In another case we were all drinking and playing cards at a bar. It was a typical case of male banter with friendly jabs.
At the end of the night, I got up and attempted to shake everyone's hand. When I got to officer Russel Gingras, I extended my hand and he gave me the alpha dog stare. I asked what was the matter, at which point the officer I was friendly with told me that "Russ don't like getting his chops broken by guys who aren't cops, but its ok, we all enjoyed it". I looked at Russ, told him I didn't intend to offend him, and maybe he should lighten up. At that point Russ threatened to throw me through a plate glass window.

I walked home after drinking all night. Russ got in his 5000 lb 4x4 pickup truck and drove home secure in the knowledge that if he got stopped, he'd get a professional courtesy.

So all I'm saying here, other than the fact that Officer Gingras is an idiot, is that many cops only want to associate with other cops. Or at the very least consider other men to be inferior. My friends who are cops, aren't that way. Or they wouldn't be friends with me.

Your presence on this forum suggests you are more like my friends. Welcome aboard, but don't delude yourselves. While only a very few cops are truly dirty, a fairly large minority are wound waaaayyy too tight and take themselves a little too seriously.

Don

Humm. let's see here. GPS tag all patrol cars and it shows 8 out of 10 cars on duty at the time sitting in the double D's parking lot at 3am, for hours. Humm, breaking up that party is a BIG step in improving the public's safety. True story.
So what would you have the officers do at 3am. Sounds like they were awake having coffee. Would you have them stopping the few vehicles on the road at that time for very minor traffic offenses? Then you could complain about that. Do you complain about firefighters having cookouts and sleeping while they are on duty?

So what would you have the officers do at 3am. Sounds like they were awake having coffee. Would you have them stopping the few vehicles on the road at that time for very minor traffic offenses? Then you could complain about that. Do you complain about firefighters having cookouts and sleeping while they are on duty?

Would you be willing to answer my question in post #114?

Hey "topcop", are you a chief? (where?) Or do you just have a huge ego? [rofl]

So you're saying that a good cop can still be jammed up when the powers that be go digging around? So even if he has nothing to hide he can still get screwed over?
Yes, for example you get a report of a baby not breathing, you get there was fast as you can and make a difference only to get written up for driving too fast. Thats the kinda chicken shit that I am talking about.

It's amazing any LEOs will self identity and post here. All the anti-establishment social retards come out and attack. Give it a rest. Their perspective makes NES a better place.

I am sure Pickle is off posting something stupid on some thread or another if you want to flame someone...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, for example you get a report of a baby not breathing, you get there was fast as you can and make a difference only to get written up for driving too fast. Thats the kinda chicken shit that I am talking about.

I can relate to that 100%. We've had agents go to federal prison for doing the right thing. DHS will hang our nuts out on the border fence if they think it will make the Mexican government happy. However, your statement clearly demonstrates that a sworn officer with absolutely nothing to hide and who is 100% in the right can still get easily screwed over if someone of higher authority goes digging around. You must be able to see, then, that a private citizen could easily find himself in the same situation when dealing with a LEO. That's the reason why the "if you don't have anything to hide, then what's the problem" argument doesn't hold water. If you don't see that, well, I tried, and I thank you for at least answering my question.

As a cop who is a strong supporter of individual rights including the second amendment, this thread amazes me. The police are not out to f*&@ legal gun owners!!! Is this question hypothetical? In almost 16 years as I cop I have never asked that question of someone that I pulled over for a traffic violation, nor do I know any officers that ask such question on stops conducted for traffic violations.

The fact that you believe that some people who are not imprisoned are "illegal gun owners", is enough to show me that you are out to F*&@ "legal gun owners" by making a living enforcing those laws.

And, I've literally been asked if I had weapons in the car every time I've been stopped, and twice I've been illegally seached on the BS probable cause that I "looked nervous". I even had one thug search me after saying this "because of the fact that you look nervous and you refused to allow me to search your vehicle, I have probably cause to search your vehicle".

You're either not a cop or you're dramatically inflating the truth.

I have better things to do then respond to every cop hater on this forum so at least in this thread it will be my last. Maybe you have to ask yourself a question like why am I being stopped so much? Before I was a cop I think I was stopped once and no one asked to search my car or if I had any weapons. You don't know me and to say I am out to F anyone is just ignorant. If you have a problem with a law, work to change it.

I can relate to that 100%. We've had agents go to federal prison for doing the right thing. DHS will hang our nuts out on the border fence if they think it will make the Mexican government happy. However, your statement clearly demonstrates that a sworn officer with absolutely nothing to hide and who is 100% in the right can still get easily screwed over if someone of higher authority goes digging around. You must be able to see, then, that a private citizen could easily find himself in the same situation when dealing with a LEO. That's the reason why the "if you don't have anything to hide, then what's the problem" argument doesn't hold water. If you don't see that, well, I tried, and I thank you for at least answering my question.

/thread
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ochmude again.

I have better things to do then respond to every cop hater on this forum so at least in this thread it will be my last. Maybe you have to ask yourself a question like why am I being stopped so much? Before I was a cop I think I was stopped once and no one asked to search my car or if I had any weapons. You don't know me and to say I am out to F anyone is just ignorant. If you have a problem with a law, work to change it.

A very good point. Before I had kids, I had a bright blue Subaru STi. It was fast. 380 hp, brembo brakes, big hood scoop, bigger wing. I was stopped all the time. The NRA Life Member sticker didn't help.

2159567358_e793d9c481.jpg

Now I drive a silver Volvo S80. My wife calls it the Buick. I can go buy a cop going 100 mph and he won't notice.

volvo_s80_01.JPG

A very good point. Before I had kids, I had a bright blue Subaru STi. It was fast. 380 hp, brembo brakes, big hood scoop, bigger wing. I was stopped all the time. The NRA Life Member sticker didn't help.

2159567358_e793d9c481.jpg

Now I drive a silver Volvo S80. My wife calls it the Buick. I can go buy a cop going 100 mph and he won't notice.

volvo_s80_01.JPG

Nice cars, but same thing with driving Honda's (and most imports) stopped for no reason even worst being Hispanic while driving, swap to family looking car no problems

The subaru was nice. The Volvo, I got a deal on. It would not be my first choice but I found myself moving to the Cambridge area and I had a 6 speed manual transmission car. Not a good match. Its big and comfy and safe and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. But its not any fun to drive.

Working for one thing. Sitting at DD for hours on end is NOT taking a coffee break my friend.

Here is how it all ended. Those 8 officers lost their jobs for sitting at DD for hours on end, NOT working, at the tax payers expense. Oh yes, they tried to play the exact card you tried to play, but that didn't fly. First of all, there was no reason what so ever for 8 cars to be on a so called break at the same time and in the same location. Second, breaks are not hours long. During that time, all of their sectors were uncovered.

I am a retired Firefighter/Paramedic, so you are not even going to try playing that card and digging yourself a deeper hole.

Can we please stop the LEO bashing, or maybe start another thread if someone feels it is necessary?
I don't necessarily agree with topcop14 comments, but I don't think it's necessary to attack him because of his statements or because of what other cops have done (and may continue to do).
By the number of posts topcop14 has had on the forum I see that he is new here and I think we should welcome LEO to the forum (in a different way than what's been done in this thread).

Last time I can remember being stopped, my son was in a car seat in the back. (The inspection sticker had experienced an accelerated and unnoticed expiration without my permission).

As she approached the window he started yelling at me to drive away, that "She has a GUN!" She gave me a verbal warning and did not ask if I had a gun in the vehicle. [laugh]

Nowadays he would be more apt to ask her if he could have a closer look at it.

Hmm. No, I was stopped once since then. Taillights were out. Again without permission. That was a verbal warning too. Note: If you ever tell a cop you're coming home from Toastmasters, make SURE you also tell them it isn't THAT kind of toasting.

This is to all the LEOs active in this thread.

The mere fact that you are on this forum means that you are in some ways different from other LEOs. Your hanging with "the sheep" rather than only other LEOs.

I have a couple of friends who are cops and have had some interesting situations when out with them and their other cop friends.

In one case a CT state trooper got pie faced then drove home at 100 mph. GPS would help in that situation, since there is no reason for an off duty trooper to be going 100 mph down I95.

In another case we were all drinking and playing cards at a bar. It was a typical case of male banter with friendly jabs.
At the end of the night, I got up and attempted to shake everyone's hand. When I got to officer Russel Gingras, I extended my hand and he gave me the alpha dog stare. I asked what was the matter, at which point the officer I was friendly with told me that "Russ don't like getting his chops broken by guys who aren't cops, but its ok, we all enjoyed it". I looked at Russ, told him I didn't intend to offend him, and maybe he should lighten up. At that point Russ threatened to throw me through a plate glass window.

I walked home after drinking all night. Russ got in his 5000 lb 4x4 pickup truck and drove home secure in the knowledge that if he got stopped, he'd get a professional courtesy.

So all I'm saying here, other than the fact that Officer Gingras is an idiot, is that many cops only want to associate with other cops. Or at the very least consider other men to be inferior. My friends who are cops, aren't that way. Or they wouldn't be friends with me.

Your presence on this forum suggests you are more like my friends. Welcome aboard, but don't delude yourselves. While only a very few cops are truly dirty, a fairly large minority are wound waaaayyy too tight and take themselves a little too seriously.

Don

Great post, Don.

My only input on the LEO vs basher is this. It's a job. We don't have a special
Chip implanted in us that we need to fuel by screwing the public. 95%of us go to work to earn our paycheck, and we do our job. Sure, we enjoy work but it's still just a means to an end. The other 5% fit everyone stereotypes perfectly. They get off on wearing a badge, and it's disgraceful to the rest of us.

My only other input is if you can't brush off the Dunkin Donuts comments, I'd hate to see how you are on the street. And for the record, I've never know anyone in my profession to actually gather at Dunkin donuts. I'm a caffeine addict, so I may or may not use the drive through 3-4 times a shift though
:-D

I once knew a roofer that took a couple of deposits for work and never came back to start the job. I think NES should be anti-roofer also.

This.
I had a cat scratch me last week and another one take a crap in my planter where I grow salad greens. I think NES should be anti-....... salad greens. [wink]

OK, I think the impression has been made that some of us just like bashing cops. Not the case. Officer "topcop" stated that the driver should play nice, and answer all the questions. If he did not, he would be branded a "roadside lawyer", and no longer subject to "discretion" in the issuance of a summons. I take that to mean the driver would also be subject to an increased level of scrutiny in an effort to find something illegal. And God knows there are enough laws on the books that every one of us is guilty of SOMETHING.

I was particularly set off by the "roadside lawyer" comment. What to Officer "topcop" is a roadside lawyer is to me a citizen trying to protect what is left of his constitutional rights. At the side of the road, all the advantages are on the side of the LEO.

A perfect example of why someone might not want to answer the firearm question was illustrated in another recent NES thread. The discussion was on restricted LTCs, and what the restrictions meant. There was no consensus among several very knowledgeable people here on NES, so imagine how an average LEO would interpret the meaning. You can see that the driver would be potentially opening himself up for a nightmare depending on how the LEO reads the restrictions on the LTC.

Blame the laws, blame the anti-gun majority in some of our New England states, whatever. I just think it is grossly unfair to try to jam someone up for exercising his constitutional right to STFU.

If you are one of the majority of good cops, fantastic. Unfortunately I don't get to pick which one of you to interact with.

Great post, Don.

My only input on the LEO vs basher is this. It's a job. We don't have a special
Chip implanted in us that we need to fuel by screwing the public. 95%of us go to work to earn our paycheck, and we do our job. Sure, we enjoy work but it's still just a means to an end. The other 5% fit everyone stereotypes perfectly. They get off on wearing a badge, and it's disgraceful to the rest of us.

My only other input is if you can't brush off the Dunkin Donuts comments, I'd hate to see how you are on the street. And for the record, I've never know anyone in my profession to actually gather at Dunkin donuts. I'm a caffeine addict, so I may or may not use the drive through 3-4 times a shift though
:-D

Thanks drs

Re the DD stereotype. I know a LEO who met his ex wife at a DD. Enough said, ha.

But then again if I had to stay up all night I'd be stopping by for lots of coffee.

I've done a few ride alongs with cop friends and the night shifts were hours of boring nothingness. I'd Imagine caffeine helps you stay in the game. This was a small town where people mostly just go to sleep at night.

Thanks drs

Re the DD stereotype. I know a LEO who met his ex wife at a DD. Enough said, ha.

But then again if I had to stay up all night I'd be stopping by for lots of coffee.

I've done a few ride alongs with cop friends and the night shifts were hours of boring nothingness. I'd Imagine caffeine helps you stay in the game. This was a small town where people mostly just go to sleep at night.

The whole DD thing was not ment to be a stereotype. Very far from it. It was an actual series of events, that actually happened. The result was 8 officers loosing their jobs.

Yeah, yeah, the whole cops and donuts thing, I get it. Pretty ironic if you ask me. [rofl]

The whole DD thing was not ment to be a stereotype. Very far from it. It was an actual series of events, that actually happened. The result was 8 officers loosing their jobs.

Yeah, yeah, the whole cops and donuts thing, I get it. Pretty ironic if you ask me. [rofl]

Lol the funny thing is most of us don't even eat donuts!

And ochmude, I was going to call your bluff, but then saw you live in AZ. It's impossible to be in New England and not be within arms reach of 3 or 4 Dunks'!

And ochmude, I was going to call your bluff, but then saw you live in AZ. It's impossible to be in New England and not be within arms reach of 3 or 4 Dunks'!

Lol, thanks for rubbing it in. I used to drive by 6 of them on my commute to and from work. Here in southern Arizona, Circle K is the only game in town for caffeine on midnights.

Geez. I am kinda of sorry I started this thread. I am sort of new to my license (firearm, not driving), and just wanted to know what to do if this situation arises. I don't get pulled over regularly (of course, I just jinxed myself by writing that), and have never while carrying, so if the situation ever arose, wanted to know my rights, protocol etc. Never expected 15 pages on this....

Back
Top Bottom