Traffic stop; LEO asks you, 'do you have any guns in the car'

[snip]
"just out of respect for you and your safety i want to let you know i am carrying an unloaded gun on my right hip" he asked if i had a permit and i said yes and he asked to see it as well. he then moved to watch me through the windshield and i just moved slow and deliberately as i took out my wallet. he looked calm as could be. i got off with a warning but i think we were both calmer after that

Yeah, unloaded firearms are a real safety issue. [rolleyes]
Seriously?????

i think any cop seeing the stickers on the back of my car can assume two things....
i likely have firearms in the car...
i probably wouldn't be advertising with bumper stickers if i had them illegally....

'course... those assumptions of mine are based on the assumption that both cops and criminals are intelligent....

not always the case for either.....

Asking if you have firearms in the car "for the officer's safety" is a misrepresentation on the part of the LEO. He knows that a BG is not going to tell him about the gun, only the otherwise law-abiding citizen.

I conclude the only reason for asking is to try to jam up the driver. If you say "yes", you damn well better meet whatever the LEO thinks is the crazy law regarding legal firearms, magazines, ammo, etc. If you say "no" if you do have a firearm, he can catch you in the lie. If you don't answer, he can assume you are guilty by your non-answer. No win all the way around.

chunky__monky said:
i want to let you know i am carrying an unloaded gun on my right hip" he asked if i had a permit and i said yes and he asked to see it as well.

If it's unloaded.... What's the point of carrying it?

I would not tell them, unless I am in a state that requires me to tell them. I would tell them that I am not required to tell them unless he/she suspects me of being a felon or commiting a crime and they would have to tell me what it is.

They can make any assumption they would like to, but it is not enough "probable cause" to do anything about it.
At the side of the road, it's just you and the LEO. He can do anything he wants. Probable cause is laughably easy to "establish". As I was told in traffic court one time, it's your word against the cop's, and guess who the judge is going to believe?

I've had it happen twice in MA, a long time ago, but it doesn't seem all that unlikely.

As a practical matter, it would be highly unusual for a police officer to ask that question during a routine traffic stop for a moving violation. If he does, you have to answer 'yes' - lying to the police is a bad idea. Again, it is unlikely that a police officer would ask you about weapons if you are stopped for speeding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

As a cop who is a strong supporter of individual rights including the second amendment, this thread amazes me. The police are not out to f*&@ legal gun owners!!! Is this question hypothetical? In almost 16 years as I cop I have never asked that question of someone that I pulled over for a traffic violation, nor do I know any officers that ask such question on stops conducted for traffic violations. Now that being said, are there situations that I might ask someone if they have a gun? Yes. Now what I don't understand is why people would purposely get into a pissing contest with a police officer. If one has nothing to hide has done anything wrong, why create more hassle for everyone involve. I know that 9 times out of 10 that when someone is respectful and truthful with me it turns out in their favor. However come off like a roadside lawyer or just an A hole then guess what, I won't be using any discretion.

Last edited:
As a cop who is a strong supporter of individual rights including the second ammendment, this thread amases me. The police are not out to f*&@ legal gun owners!!! Is this question hypertheorical? In almost 16 years as I cop I have never asked that question of someone that I pulled over for a traffic violation, nor do I know any officers that ask such question on stops conducted for traffic violations. Now that being said, are there situations that I might ask someone if they have a gun? Yes. Now what I don't understand is why people would purposely get into a pissing contest with a police officer. If one has nothing to hide has done nothing wrong, why create more hassle for everone involve. I know that 9 times out of 10 that when someone is respecful and truthful with me it turns out in their favor. However come off like a roadside lawyer or just an A hole then guess what, I won't be useing any discretion.

Looks like you use some discretion with spelling though. [grin]

Pulled over on RT2 last summer, first words out of the Trooper's mouth were "DO YOU HAVE ANY FIREARMS IN THE VEHICLE?..."

True story.

Last edited:
Not positive this is the correct way to do things, but when I've been pulled over while carrying (only once and was for exceeding the speed limit) I automatically gave the trooper my LTC with my license and reg. He appreciated it, and then let me go with a verbal warning, thanking me for showing my LTC without him asking for it. Then again, I think I just got a really cool trooper.

However come off like a roadside lawyer or just an A hole then guess what, I won't be useing any discretion.
So what you are saying is if I choose not to answer a question (ie: right to remain silent), I'll get it held against me and get f***ked? Roadside lawyer my ass, this is exactly why this thread is going this way. Typical cop attitude.

Looks like you use some discretion with spelling though. [grin]

Pulled over on RT2 last summer, first words out of the Trooper's mouth were "DO YOU HAVE ANY FIREARMS IN THE VEHICLE?..."

True story.

Uggggg did i mention I work nights and have not slept in a few days.

I am sure it does happen, What was your response?

True story.

You must have had "that look". [wink] [laugh]

On a serious note . . . do you have one of the original NES stickers with the AR-15 on it in the back window of your truck? If so, I can well imagine that question if stopped.

As a cop who is a strong supporter of individual rights including the second amendment, this thread amazes me. The police are not out to f*&@ legal gun owners!!! Is this question hypothetical? In almost 16 years as I cop I have never asked that question of someone that I pulled over for a traffic violation, nor do I know any officers that ask such question on stops conducted for traffic violations. Now that being said, are there situations that I might ask someone if they have a gun? Yes. Now what I don't understand is why people would purposely get into a pissing contest with a police officer. If one has nothing to hide has done anything wrong, why create more hassle for everyone involve. I know that 9 times out of 10 that when someone is respectful and truthful with me it turns out in their favor. However come off like a roadside lawyer or just an A hole then guess what, I won't be using any discretion.

For the same reason we get so pissy when the brass talks about sticking GPS trackers in our vehicles so they can keep track of our whereabouts at all times. If we have nothing to hide, what's the problem?

This works both ways. Check this out: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...p-it-moving!?p=2480272&viewfull=1#post2480272 So, are you willing to go to bat to put penalties on bad police behavior too?
I support right to carry, My state rep is a co sponsor and I know George Peterson as well. As far as punishing bad cops goes I will say this. Bad cops give all police officers a bad name. Just like crazy gun owners that go looking to pick fights with cops give all gun owners a bad name. So if a cop breaks the law then yes they should be held accountable.

For the same reason we get so pissy when the brass talks about sticking GPS trackers in our vehicles so they can keep track of our whereabouts at all times. If we have nothing to hide, what's the problem?
I think it apples and oranges but sine you asked I will give you my answer. GPS in cruisers is a waist of money and does nothing to improve officer or public safety. It has been used to go after cops who are good cops but are not part of Admin's In crowd. Now on another note if the chief wants to buy me the $5000 portable radio that has GPS in it so that when I am chasing someone in the woods I can be located if I am in trouble, I have no problem because it will help make sure I go home at the end of my shift.

I think it apples and oranges but sine you asked I will give you my answer. GPS in cruisers is a waist of money and does nothing to improve officer or public safety. It has been used to go after cops who are good cops but are not part of Admin's In crowd. Now on another note if the chief wants to buy me the $5000 portable radio that has GPS in it so that when I am chasing someone in the woods I can be located if I am in trouble, I have no problem because it will help make sure I go home at the end of my shift.

So you're saying that a good cop can still be jammed up when the powers that be go digging around? So even if he has nothing to hide he can still get screwed over?

GPS in cruisers is a waist of money and does nothing to improve officer or public safety. It has been used to go after cops who are good cops but are not part of Admin's In crowd.
Asking drivers whether there are firearms in the car does nothing to improve officer or public safety. It has been used to go after otherwise innocent citizens based on the LEO's (often defective) understanding of firearms law.

Also, the word you are looking for is "waste", not the thing under your belt.

Asking drivers whether there are firearms in the car does nothing to improve officer or public safety. It has been used to go after otherwise innocent citizens based on the LEO's (often defective) understanding of firearms law.

Also, the word you are looking for is "waste", not the thing under your belt.

Thank you for the spelling lesson. I am aware of the difference between waist and waste thanks.
Just curious what police training do you have?

Uggggg did i mention I work nights and have not slept in a few days.

I am sure it does happen, What was your response?

No worries. I had a planned night of drinking so I wasn't carrying. He and my designated driver argued for a bit at how he came up with us doing 70mph. Once I convinced my DD it was a losing effort the trooper sent us on our way.

Now on another note if the chief wants to buy me the $5000 portable radio that has GPS in it so that when I am chasing someone in the woods I can be located if I am in trouble, I have no problem because it will help make sure I go home at the end of my shift.

Not when I toss it in to the swamp and drive away in your cruiser.

Obviously I'm kidding. I wouldn't drive away, I'd drive it in to the swamp too.

Last edited:

Humm. let's see here. GPS tag all patrol cars and it shows 8 out of 10 cars on duty at the time sitting in the double D's parking lot at 3am, for hours. Humm, breaking up that party is a BIG step in improving the public's safety. True story.

Humm. let's see here. GPS tag all patrol cars and it shows 8 out of 10 cars on duty at the time sitting in the double D's parking lot at 3am, for hours. Humm, breaking up that party is a BIG step in improving the public's safety. True story.

Not always. One of the electric utilities suspected they had a lot of time wasted by workers at DD and equipped a sizable percentage of their truck fleet with satellite tracking. Each vehicle transmitted a position report to dispatch every minute or so. They even geocoded the dispatch maps with DD and other suspected hangouts.

As it turns out, a large amount of time was spent parked at or suspiciously near DD.

Back
Top Bottom