To carry or not to carry?

I carry a S&W442 Jframe. I don't even know it's there it's so small and light. It took me awhile after getting my LTCA before I started carrying for pretty much the same reasons as you. But in the end, I decided that I've been carrying a knife for 15 years for utility and self-defense, and while the gun doesn't have any utility other than self-defense, it will do me a lot better than a knife will if the need arises.

Carrying is really not as much of an inconvenience as one might think. It doesn't effect my life at all. I'm the same person as I was before, except now I'm better prepared to defend myself from random acts of violence if one should happen my way.

*edit: Oops! I wrote 460 instead of 442...lol

Last edited:
This turned out to be a great thread...its given me much to think about. I just got back from the S&W range, before I went in I spent a good amount of time with the great people there going over CC options with the J frames and the M&Pc...believe it or not I think the J is to big, it won't fit in my pouch and I did't like it ItB. It'll be great to now be able to direct compair these to the sub-compact semi-autos'. I'm not even going to get into the "caliber wars". If that comes up, I always say "carry what you are comfortable with" but as far as I'm concerned ALL of the quality mondern defensive loads will do the job. I personally will have no worries about a .380 loaded with +P HP.

A mousegun in the hand beats a cannon in the safe - every time.

At the end of it all, you'll be armed, and have a new gun. (I can't see any reason not to buy a gun)

AMEN, brother!

And to expand on the advice of Pilgrim in regards to pocket carry: I totally agree with using a dedicated holster. Along with all the reasons he stated, maybe the MOST important reason is to keep anything out of the trigger guard that may become entangled within. You pull out gun, BANG!, you shit pants(only if you're lucky), or worse!
\
I remember seeing/reading something a while ago about someone who got a pen/knife/anything else stuck in the trigger guard in his pocket. He pulled out the weapon(or maybe shifted it around) and it went BOOM. Don't remember where I saw it, maybe here. Blew a hole in his jeans pocket, at the very least.

PaiN,

I have been having the same thoughts as you. I recently received my LTC A no restrictions and now because I can carry, should I? I too have had training but I am stuck with the thought; once I introduce my gun to a situation everything after becomes my responsibility. If I become injured by that gun or people I am trying to protect become injured by my gun that is not something I prepared for.

I am still not confident enough and not comfortable with the added responsibility that it carries so have decided to not carry. I will continue to take training classes to become more confident in my abilities but my guns will continue to stay to at home for now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You asked a great question.

PaiN...I have a membership to S&W....if you can make it to Spfld on a Sat let me know...I'll let you try out my Para Hog

I carry a 1911 with me almost constantly, it's not hard to conceal. When I can't carry the 1911, for whatever unusual reason comes up, a J frame is in a MIKA holster in my front pocket.

Good thread. Good advice from Pilgrim as always. I have a Mike holster for my S&W 442 and and one for my 6906 and 3914. Mike holsters are great for concealment. He makes IWB and pocket holsters. Reasonable prices and a great guy to deal with.

Gary

Get a J-Frame revolver. There's a reason it's by far the single most popular CCW platform.

Agreed. Here's mine. I never leave home without it.

m60-38spl.jpg

Too be used only if I get cornered and have no choice.

Agreed. Here's mine. I never leave home without it.

m60-38spl.jpg

Too be used only if I get cornered and have no choice.

Copycat, same as my 1986 M-60 1 7/8 .38 special, carried in a belt holster, prefer a revolver, reason if I pull the trigger and it dosen't go bang, just pull the trigger one more time. I also own and shoot semi autos and have had them jam on me at the range. I know my J frame only has 5 rounds but I am confident that it will serve me, and hope that day never comes.

I just got a Ruger LCP for summer carry. The only reason I got it is for times when it'll be really tough to conceal my Glock 30. I bought an ankle rig, pocket holster and 5.11 holster shirt to use with the LCP however if I can conceal the Glock 30 it's damn sure going to be with me since i'll feel much better with it in a gunfight than the LCP.

So now i've always got the Ruger on me and usually have the Glock. I guess two is better than one :)

Carry For Sure

It is a cherished freedom, and it is a solemn duty.

Carry a 9x19 or bigger.

You have gone 40 years not needing it. I have gone 16 years without needing it.

But come the day that we DO need it, nothing else will suffice. And I for one am not going to live with the guilt of watching an innocent person die at the hands of a violent felon when I know that I could have intervened with my CCW.

It is natural for new guys to want to carry the smallest possible pistol. The worry about being made is huge. I remember.

But as time goes on and experience goes up your mode of dress subtly changes and you realize that the sheep are completely oblivious to what is under your clothes. With the right holster a man of normal stature (5'7" to 5'10") and weight can hide what to a beginner looks like a HUGE gun.

This is what I carry most often. It is actually easier to conceal in summer under an untucked polo or button down camp shirt.

Q32GftFcp5ws2tc3Qhxcm66YH55qwXO30300.jpg

The only change I've made to that setup is a much better holster:
bEpOuuF0+oaKBUx9GYMd-qK6pzbjE-Hj0300.jpg

Carry a 9x19 or bigger.

But come the day that we DO need it, nothing else will suffice. And I for one am not going to live with the guilt of watching an innocent person die at the hands of a violent felon when I know that I could have intervened with my CCW.

Word.

Carry a 9x19 or bigger.

Again, this is the truth. If the devil pokes his head up in front of my loved ones, otasan, I hope you are there in the event that I am not.

Only police open- and criminal concelled carry guns here in Finland. Mayby some lunatic too.
I am not police, criminal or lunatic. [smile][crying][smile]

Jose - Awesome pic - love the pipe. [cheers]

I carry a 642CT with 135gr Speer GDHP +P on deck. I don't feel under gunned in the least - the Speers hit like a freight train. If you're feeling saucy, try some 158gr Buffalo Bores and hang on - heap big boom-boom. [wink]

If anyone reading this old thread dosen't know....I made the decision to CC awhile back. I picked the Keltec PF-9 as my carry weapon w/ Federal 124g Hydra-Shox load
DSC00758.jpg

If anyone reading this old thread dosen't know....I made the decision to CC awhile back. I picked the Keltec PF-9 as my carry weapon w/ Federal 124g Hydra-Shox load
DSC00758.jpg

Nice...I've been carrying a j-frame (Charter Arms Off Duty 38 spl) for a while but this week got myself a nice G17 which I'll feel a lot safer with. 17 rounds per mag and a warm fuzzy feeling that it will go BANG when I need it.

Jose - Awesome pic - love the pipe. [cheers]
Cheers right back at ya mate! I found a great local tobbaconist and he mixes a mean Black Cavendish. Had a great smoke tonight while tending burgers on the grill. [grin]

If you're feeling saucy, try some 158gr Buffalo Bores and hang on - heap big boom-boom. [wink]
158 gr BB +P 38 Specials are what ride in my 637. Big bang, Much smash'em! [smile]

bdC3I+tBVmklcTYSk7G5Z-+d8qJuZWQo0300.jpg

i wouldnt go smaller than 38spl....so depending on what i wear i usually carry a jframe s&w airweight.......excellent gun and very accurate.....sometimes i use an ankle holster and sometimes an inside the inside the waist holster but it varies with clothing making the choice for me

Back
Top Bottom